Gear Warning

Old November 16th 05, 06:24 AM
Gadget Guy Gadget Guy is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Default Gear Warning

Greetings all, I am looking for a drawing that depicts the electrical wiring of a DG-300. Does anyone know of a link or have a basic drawing of a gear warning system?

Thank you in advace
Old November 16th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I can't help you with the DG-300, but I do offer a simple gear warning
system from Tasman. It is pretty cool. It has a digital recorder in it.
You record your voice saying something like "Lower the Gear NOW!" and it
plays the message when your gear is up and the airbrakes are open. Of
course you need switches placed on the gear and airbrake mechanisms. I just
received a batch of them recently and will add them to my web site this
morning. I sell both the Tasman TB32 Echo gear warning system and some
small switches. The Echo sells for $85.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/tasman.htm

I'll get the details on the web site right now with photos later today.

Good Soaring,
--
Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 16th 05, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The wiring is not a complex problem; you just need
two paths for the current. One path when the gear
is up and another when the gear is down. It is better,
in my view, the bigger problem is finding a place to
put the switches. I tried to use a 9v batttery to
drive the system and quickly learned that when the
wings are off, nothing holds the spoiler handle in
place and the spoiler handle would open slightly in
the trailer and just run the battery down. Better
to wire it to the main battery and let the master switch
take care of this problem.

Old November 16th 05, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would recommend magnetic reed switches (~$0.50) instead of microswitches.
Reed switches require no contact with the spoiler and gear controls since
they operate in proximity to a tiny magnet epoxied to a control rod. They
don't need precise adjustment to work and they never wear out.

I selected a raucous low pitched buzzer as the warning horn because it
didn't sound like any other device in the cockpit. High pitched squealers
sound too much like an audio vario.

Another neat backup is GPS_LOG WinCE PDA software. It sounds a warning of
your choice by playing a .wav file when the glider descends to pattern
altitude above the terrain elevation map.

I use both systems.

Bill Daniels

Old November 16th 05, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I can't help you with the DG-300, but I do offer a simple gear warning
system from Tasman. It is pretty cool. It has a digital recorder in it.
You record your voice saying something like "Lower the Gear NOW!" and it
plays the message when your gear is up and the airbrakes are open. Of
course you need switches placed on the gear and airbrake mechanisms. I just
received a batch of them recently and will add them to my web site this
morning. I sell both the Tasman TB32 Echo gear warning system and some
small switches. The Echo sells for $85.

Nice idea, but even better would be to have the Echo also function as an
extension speaker. Adding that function would add more value at little cost.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 16th 05, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Gadget Guy wrote:

Greetings all, I am looking for a drawing that depicts the electrical
wiring of a DG-300. Does anyone know of a link or have a basic drawing
of a gear warning system?

If you have a Cambridge 302 vario (or similar), you can connect the gear
and spoiler switches to it to provide the warning. The 302 can also be
set to provide a "spoilers open" warning at the start of a launch
(airspeed triggered). It's the system I use.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 16th 05, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
:

Gadget Guy wrote:

Greetings all, I am looking for a drawing that depicts the electrical
wiring of a DG-300. Does anyone know of a link or have a basic drawing
of a gear warning system?

If you have a Cambridge 302 vario (or similar), you can connect the gear
and spoiler switches to it to provide the warning. The 302 can also be
set to provide a "spoilers open" warning at the start of a launch
(airspeed triggered). It's the system I use.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

The later models of LNAV use a similar system. And, yes, the spoiler
open warning system on takeoff is a plus.

Larry Goddard

"01" USA

Old November 16th 05, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

In addition to the audible signal from the 302 - if you have a 303 it
displays a text message which makes it obvious what the issue is.

I like the Tasman approach because a voice message should be able to cut
through all the beeps already going on in the cockpit. I talked to one user
who installed them in his gliders at his commercial operation. He said the
recorded message was "Lower the Fxxxing Landing Gear!" - in an all out
attempt to get the pilot's attention.

Does anyone have any suggestions for sources of small magnetic reed
switches? I sell mechanical microswitches which I have used in the past and
like, but I can see the advantages to non-contact switching.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 16th 05, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Paul:

Many electronic component wholesalers/retailers have these available.
I've bought Hamlin reed switches and magnets from Digi-Key -
www.digikey.com.

Mike