Watch out for those pesky rodents

Old November 9th 04, 06:22 PM
OscarCVox

Default Watch out for those pesky rodents

Took the canopy cover off in the hanger and there it was. A pile of chewed
paper on the seat. Flaming mice have got in again.
We now have to derig it and use a borescope to find if they have left anything
in inaccesable places.
When it last happened a few years ago on another glider we found one wing
rattled. Eventually we removed about 12lb of hazle nuts from the wing!

Be careful this time of year. The little blighters are stocking up for the
winter and a glider wing will make an ideal home

nigel
Old November 9th 04, 09:25 PM
Derrick Steed

"Eventually we removed about 12lb of hazle nuts from the wing!"

Imagine how you would feel if some marauding giant suddenly turned up at
your home, chucked all the food out, and changed the locks!

Old November 9th 04, 10:08 PM
John Giddy

On 09 Nov 2004 18:22:47 GMT, OscarCVox wrote:

Took the canopy cover off in the hanger and there it was. A pile of chewed
paper on the seat. Flaming mice have got in again.
We now have to derig it and use a borescope to find if they have left anything
in inaccesable places.
When it last happened a few years ago on another glider we found one wing
rattled. Eventually we removed about 12lb of hazle nuts from the wing!

Be careful this time of year. The little blighters are stocking up for the
winter and a glider wing will make an ideal home

nigel

Sounds like you need a good hangar cat !
Seems to have fixed that problem for us.
Cheers, John G.
Old November 9th 04, 10:13 PM
Tony Verhulst

Derrick Steed wrote:
"Eventually we removed about 12lb of hazle nuts from the wing!"

Imagine how you would feel if some marauding giant suddenly turned up at
your home, chucked all the food out, and changed the locks!

Hey, if he wants to help out with the insurance and the annual, we can
talk! :-)

Tony V.

Old November 10th 04, 03:58 AM
COLIN LAMB

Many years ago an Ercoupe lost a wing in flight because the mice had
urinated on the spar enough to corrode it.

I had to remove the cover of my Ercoupe wing because mice had made a nest
inside - and it was in a hangar.

So, maybe when the last words on the cockpit recorder on the crashed Boeing
are "Nuts", we should suspect mice and squirrels?

Colin N12HS

---

Old November 11th 04, 12:45 AM
Chip Bearden

Not just rodents. Many years ago in a 1-26 contest in the U.S., one
poor pilot flew several days barely able to tolerate the smell from a
dead bird somewhere in one wing. I'm not sure how he removed it but I
seem to recall that part of the solution (no pun intended) was to
partially fill the wing with water from the root rib, slosh it around,
then stand the wing up on the tip of the spar and pour it out.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"e
Old November 11th 04, 10:34 AM
Mike Lindsay

In article , Chip
Bearden writes
Not just rodents. Many years ago in a 1-26 contest in the U.S., one
poor pilot flew several days barely able to tolerate the smell from a
dead bird somewhere in one wing. I'm not sure how he removed it but I
seem to recall that part of the solution (no pun intended) was to
partially fill the wing with water from the root rib, slosh it around,
then stand the wing up on the tip of the spar and pour it out.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"e

I heard a story about someone who felt a tickling sensation on his right
knee at the top of a thermal.
Looking down, he saw a mouse sitting on his knee.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old November 13th 04, 03:24 AM
Bob Korves

We had a pilot at Soar Truckee who was flying a Diamant on a 500K out and
return badge flight. After takeoff he felt something crawling up his pant
leg. After he got up well into oxygen altitudes, the crawling up his leg
subsided, but continued again each time he got lower. Needless to say, he
tried to stay as high as he could! He was able to complete the flight, but
at the end of the landing rollout he jumped from the cockpit and pulled down
his pants. A chipmunk ran off into the bushes. He deserved the badge...
-Bob Korves

"Mike Lindsay" wrote in message
news
In article , Chip
Bearden writes

Old November 13th 04, 04:35 AM
F.L. Whiteley

I googled a bit for the snake tales previously posted to RAS, but it also
brings up a lot of other topics.

We tend to skin and cook the rattlesnakes at owl canyon

Hypoxic chippies, hah! Unfortunately, chippies above 5000msl are often
carriers of plague. Wonder if the altitude affects the fleas.

Frank Whiteley

Old November 16th 04, 03:17 PM
Bill Gribble

Bob Korves writes
Needless to say, he tried to stay as high as he could! He was able to
complete the flight, but at the end of the landing rollout he jumped
from the cockpit and pulled down his pants. A chipmunk ran off into
the bushes. He deserved the badge... -Bob Korves

Presumably, so did the chipmunk?

Though I'd guess his claim would be disqualified for not using oxygen...

--
Bill Gribble

| http://www.ingenuitytest.co.uk |
| http://www.cotswoldgliding.co.uk |
| http://www.scapegoatsanon.demon.co.uk |

Looking for a watch... Darrel Toepfer Rotorcraft 1 November 8th 04 09:42 PM
Ideal watch? Brinks Owning 45 December 24th 03 03:00 PM
Where can I watch planes? (Northern NJ) TeleTechnician General Aviation 6 November 21st 03 03:09 AM