Electric locomotion will replace internal combustion

Old September 18th 10, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Electric locomotion will replace internal combustion

Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 1:21Â*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 6:00Â*pm, wrote:

No one other than a rich enviro-whinner is going to buy a $41,000 car that
can only go 40 miles.

"They’ve outfitted a Saturn Sky with electronic components that allows
the car to travel 150 miles on one battery charge that costs as much
as a single gallon of gasoline."

http://www.wlwt.com/r/17226175/detail.html

---
Mark

One off prototypes and research vehicles don't count.

Make, model, range, price, and a real sales date or don't bother.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

I'm not gonna play this game again with you where you
pretend like I've not already given you this information.

All you've posted is breathless press releases about stuff that maybe,
someday, might work.

There are no pure electric, production cars that go much more than 40 miles
on a charge and all of them cost several times what even hybrids cost, let
alone a pure ICE car.

You are just arm waving.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 18th 10, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 1:44Â*pm, wrote:
Edward A. Falk wrote:

In article ,
george wrote:
The word is torque and a 40 ton load that has to be delivered a
thousand mile away is going to require the internal combustion engine

Or a train. Â*Which could be electric.

Again, it's all about economics. Â*If electric vehicles for short-haul and
electric trains became sufficiently cheap, the transportation industry
would switch back to using trains for long haul and trucks for local
delivery almost overnight.

Nope, trains are already cheap for bulk cargo.

They are antiques which are being under-utilized.

Though it has nothing to do with the subject under discussion, most trains
in the US are state of the art and they are utilized as much as they can
be given where the tracks take them.

The issue is trains don't go everywhere, or even anywhere close to everywhere
in a country the size of the US.

No. The issue is that they aren't electric, and our crumbling
infrastructure
and ignorant, city-sprawl, urban planners are going to have to:

efficiency

2. Create jobs to implement and maintain this

3. Entice corporate America to think outside of the
box and learn how to integrate their transportation
needs to mesh with the new system by taking
advantage of new corridors built for this.

Babbling gibberish.

Trains work great in small European nations which aren't much larger than
some of our counties.

Yes, and they also work great in America if there are 21st
century depot accomodations.

Along with untold thousands of miles of track (and right of way) that don't
exist in a country as large as the US.

Or maybe you don't know that trains only run on tracks?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 18th 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 18, 5:06*pm, wrote:

Or maybe you don't know that trains only run on tracks?

--
Jim Pennino

Wow! Is that right? Well, that changes everything.

Old September 18th 10, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 18, 5:01*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 1:21*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 6:00*pm, wrote:

[...]

All ya gotta do is look at the new models coming
out.

Arm waving? No. I'd checked this group a few times lately
and didn't see anything happening so decided to stimulate
a little dialogue.

All righty now.

Fly safe, if you really are a pilot. I don't hate you and I'm
not mad at you. Expect to see my identity forged by that
poor sick fellow that does so.

Bye.

---
Mark
Mark

Old September 18th 10, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 5:06Â*pm, wrote:

Or maybe you don't know that trains only run on tracks?

--
Jim Pennino

Wow! Is that right? Well, that changes everything.

Yep, it means your wet dream of replacing trucks with trains in the US
is just that, a wet dream.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 18th 10, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 5:01Â*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 1:21Â*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 6:00Â*pm, wrote:

[...]

Name one.

Make, model, range, price, and a real sales date or don't bother.

So far we have the Chevy Volt, which goes 40 miles, costs $41,000 after
subsidies, and goes on sale November, 2010.

Where are all these pure electric cars that are in production and go 120 miles
or better on a charge you keep arm waving about?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 19th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 18, 6:25*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 5:06*pm, wrote:

Or maybe you don't know that trains only run on tracks?

--
Jim Pennino

Wow! *Is that right? *Well, that changes everything.

Yep, it means your wet dream of replacing trucks with trains in the US
is just that, a wet dream.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

You cannot replace trucks with trains.

You can create a modern infrastructure that promotes
electric trains to take over a percentage of the total annual
freight being moved. You can cater to the trucking industry
such that this is an attractive option.

I haven't checked into it, but it seems reasonable that
if cars can go electric, so can trucks. Give them larger
motors.

Then send them to the train station. g

---
Mark
Old September 19th 10, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Sep 18, 6:48*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 5:01*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 1:21*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 17, 6:00*pm, wrote:

[...]

Ok, for starters, here's 2 that beat your
40mile...$41,000 dollars. I think there's a least a dozen
more.

Nissan leaf, 100miles, $25,280.00
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electr...-electric-car/

Wheego whip, 100miles, $26,495
http://wheego.net/more/

I may add to this as time allows, but everyone knows
they're all over the place. This is the first wave, using
the first generation, and emerging technology. And...
anyone with extra money can get a fancy, fast one too.

---
Mark

Old September 19th 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:

Ok, for starters, here's 2 that beat your
40mile...$41,000 dollars. I think there's a least a dozen
more.

Nissan leaf, 100miles, $25,280.00
http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electr...-electric-car/

Wheego whip, 100miles, $26,495
http://wheego.net/more/

OK, you found a couple that make 100 miles that will be on the market
any day now.

Where's all the cars you claimed where out there that get 120 miles on a
charge?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old September 19th 10, 05:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 6:25Â*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
On Sep 18, 5:06Â*pm, wrote:

Or maybe you don't know that trains only run on tracks?

--
Jim Pennino

Wow! Â*Is that right? Â*Well, that changes everything.

Yep, it means your wet dream of replacing trucks with trains in the US
is just that, a wet dream.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

You cannot replace trucks with trains.

Correct, as I have been saying all along.

Good to see the light bulb finally come on.

You can create a modern infrastructure that promotes
electric trains to take over a percentage of the total annual
freight being moved.

That means electifying thousands and thousands of miles of track to accomplish
nothing more than to replace diesel electric locomotives with pure electric
locomotive.

Never going to happen.

You can cater to the trucking industry
such that this is an attractive option.

You are decades behind the times.

Have you ever seen the cargo containers that go from ships to trains to
trucks?

I haven't checked into it, but it seems reasonable that
if cars can go electric, so can trucks. Give them larger
motors.

A battery powered produce truck would never make it from Fresno to LA, let
alone Fresno to Chicago, and produce travels by truck, not train for a lot
of very good reasons.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.