Navy or Air Farce?

Old March 16th 04, 02:16 AM
Mike Kanze

Helomech,

I still remember many of the "Sea stories" my Dad told me about his cruises

aboard the Ranger in the early to mid 60's - I remember him talking about
Capt Duncan..........

Small World Story #649: My Dad was Air Boss on RANGER during much of George
Duncan's tenure as Skipper. (Dad detached in early 1963.) That's how I
learned of George's interesting encounter with the roundown.

As a kid I heard many of the same "great Skipper" stories from him . One
example: George was noted for the trust and confidence that he placed in
his juniors - certainly after determining that they were worthy of that
trust. He thus had no problem with letting one of his Department heads
(Dad) take the ship in / out of port as part of the "incapacitated / dead
Captain" portion of the ORI. Other COs (like George's immediate predecessor
on RANGER) would likely have **** O-6-sized bricks during this evolution.
Not George, according to Dad.

Hell, your Dad may have had the helm when my Dad had the conn.

--
Mike Kanze

"When you're majoring in abnormal psychology, ALL television is
educational!"

- Frank & Ernest, 3/9/04

"Helomech " wrote in message

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
I believe the pilot was George Duncan, USNA '39. George went on to

command
RANGER during the early 1960s.

--
Mike Kanze

I still remember many of the "Sea stories" my Dad told me about his

cruises
aboard the Ranger in the early to mid 60's - I remember him talking about
Capt Duncan.......... He said all the men thought he was on hell of a

good
skipper - He took the Ranger out of SF Bay at about 25 knots once.....

made
a hell of a bow wave and caused an uproar with the politicians of the bay
area. He also had an F-4 launched while the Ranger was just under the
golden gate bridge - A picture of it is in my Dad's cruisebook. One of
these days - I'll scan them in and post them to ABPA or ABPM.....

My Dad was a QM aboard the Ranger and Forrestal during the 60's, He was

on
the Kittyhawk during the 70's.

Helomech

Old March 17th 04, 02:28 AM
Helomech

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
[...]

Yes it is a small world............. There "are now / and were" some great
people in the Navy, like Capt Duncan......and so many others.

Hearing stories about them and the awesome lives and exploits of their
careers, is exactly why I stay subscribed to this newsgroup.........

Thanks.......

Paul - (Helomech - AIR CAV)!

Old March 22nd 04, 07:10 PM
Will Dossel

nt (Krztalizer) wrote in message ...
Males totally rejected the idea, and last I heard, female Hornet pilots
weresomehow using piddle packs... although, I've never figured out
thehydromechanics of that evolution.Some things, I'm happy just not
knowing.--Woody

Had a pilot **** in the canteen once - tried to hand it back to me to dispose
of ("Are you nuts, sir?? Fling it out your own door!") but I don't recall using
one of those scanky-ass relief tubes (Is it plugged, or not? Care to find
out?)

-- In the E-2 'twas easy to do at altitude, just hold the switch down
and listen (pray) for the sound of rushing wind Had a guy in one
of the squadrons who had the urge *before* launch -- almost ended up
w/a down a/c 'cause the final checker initially couldn't figure out
what the fluid was and where it was coming from. 'course from that
day on the intrepid NFO was known as "Peeps". The classic though was
the copilot who poured the rest of his orange soda down the relief
tube and ended up painting the right side of the a/c under his window
orange. Us backenders have also been known to hold the door to CIC
shut to keep the front-enders out on their way back to take a dump in
the plastic bag in back. We sure didn't want to have to put up with
it for the next 5+ hours...

Oh, and for the distaff members, the COD ended up with a curtain for
privacy, I do believe

Will Dossel
Last of the Steeljaws (VAW-122)