Do you fly to music?

Old October 22nd 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Do you fly to music?

Do any of you listen to music while flying? If so, do you listen
yourself, or do passengers listen, or do you all listen? Is there any
regulatory obstacle to this? (Some aircraft are apparently equipped
for it, so it must be allowed.)

I don't listen to music when driving because it distracts me, which is
hazardous, and I'd probably be the same way when flying. However, I
suppose passengers might like music.

Old October 23rd 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

I (and sometimes passengers) listen to XM radio only when established
in level cruise flight over long distances. It cuts out for ATC
transmissions.

For departures and approaches, the music goes off to avoid distraction.

--Dan

Old October 23rd 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

We have a plug that we use for our MP3 players. During take off and
departure I have an "iso" switch such that the kids and wife can hear
the music and I hear ATC. In cruise I switch it back if there is not
much ATC activity. Using MP3s is MUCH easier than CDs because they are
so much smaller. My kids always have their MP3s in their pockets anyway
and my wife and I always have our PDAs (which make good MP3 players
too).

-Robert

Old October 23rd 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

The theme from the High and the Mighty. Also, the music
from Island in the Sky.
Cast Your Fate to the Wind, instrumental by Vince Geraldi
Trio [sp].

oups.com...

Old October 23rd 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

I fly to the sound of a Lycoming.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old October 23rd 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gene Seibel writes:

I fly to the sound of a Lycoming.

I understand it has a good beat, and you can dance to it.

Old October 24th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken Finney

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Do any of you listen to music while flying? If so, do you listen
yourself, or do passengers listen, or do you all listen? Is there any
regulatory obstacle to this? (Some aircraft are apparently equipped
for it, so it must be allowed.)

I don't listen to music when driving because it distracts me, which is
hazardous, and I'd probably be the same way when flying. However, I
suppose passengers might like music.

No one has mentioned the soundtrack to Top Gun... ;^)

Old October 24th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Poitras

Ken Finney wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Do any of you listen to music while flying? If so, do you listen
yourself, or do passengers listen, or do you all listen? Is there any
regulatory obstacle to this? (Some aircraft are apparently equipped
for it, so it must be allowed.)

I don't listen to music when driving because it distracts me, which is
hazardous, and I'd probably be the same way when flying. However, I
suppose passengers might like music.

No one has mentioned the soundtrack to Top Gun... ;^)

No "The Ride of the Valkeries" fans?

http://www.doofus.org/audio/Valkyrie.mid

Of course, it completely spoils the mood when someone insists on
singing the words...

"Kiww the wabbit, kiww the wabbit..."

--
Don Poitras
Old October 24th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Ken Finney writes:

No one has mentioned the soundtrack to Top Gun... ;^)

It has occurred to me that some music might encourage a pilot to try
foolish things.

On rare occasions when I listen to music while operating a vehicle, I
try to make it music that has no words. Lyrics tend to be more
distracting. I can't imagine listening to music in anything other
than cruise on autopilot.