Flight navigation/moving map software for Android System

Old December 26th 10, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik

Default Flight navigation/moving map software for Android System

The new Samsung Galaxy Tablet uses the Android System. Do any of the
current flight software systems run on Android? If so which ones? How
well do they interface with the SN10 or 302 ? How about the XCSoar
program in beta?

In measuring the Galaxy Tablet it is really only about 1.5 inches
taller and wider than my current 3955 setup in cradle. Seems like a
good possibility for upgrading. Would be able to get satellite feeds
as well...

Steve
S9
Old December 26th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Dec 26, 7:14*am, Stephen Michalik
wrote:
The new Samsung Galaxy Tablet uses the Android System. Do any of the
current flight software systems run on Android? If so which ones? How
well do they interface with the SN10 or 302 ? * How about the XCSoar
program in beta?

In measuring the Galaxy Tablet it is really only about 1.5 inches
taller and wider than my current 3955 setup in cradle. *Seems like a
good possibility for upgrading. Would be able to get satellite feeds
as well...

Steve
S9

The Galaxy is interesting but does not run Honeycomb (the upcoming
Android release aimed at tablets) and personally I would hold off on
buying an Android tablet until they do. Once Honeycomb is out you will
likely see a more interesting tablets and market for software. How
many tablets will be a form factor suitable for cockpits well see.

The only significant soaring software folks publicly playing with
Android seem to be XCSoar. They have a (free of course) version on the
Android Market, I've not played with it and I don't know what devices
it works on (and the only Android device I have is an old G1 phone I
use for testing web content).

Windows Mobile and Windows CE need a mercy killing. Now if we just get
a real daylight visible Android tablet...

Darryl

Old December 26th 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stephen Michalik

wrote:
[...]

I agree on the CE mercy killing. It's time for an upgrade to say the
least. Our technical staff at work is using the Galaxy tablet and so
far it is a decent machine.
it would be nice for a soaring software package to come out in time
for spring maintenance work on our gliders for an off the shelf
tablet.

Maybe next year...
Old December 26th 10, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Dec 26, 8:14*am, Stephen Michalik
wrote:
The new Samsung Galaxy Tablet uses the Android System. Do any of the
current flight software systems run on Android? If so which ones? How
well do they interface with the SN10 or 302 ? * How about the XCSoar
program in beta?

In measuring the Galaxy Tablet it is really only about 1.5 inches
taller and wider than my current 3955 setup in cradle. *Seems like a
good possibility for upgrading. Would be able to get satellite feeds
as well...

Steve
S9

It being a nice sunny day in Colorado, I strolled into a Best Buy and
took a look at the iPad and Galaxy. Both provide a passable web
browsing experience and little more. The clerk was unhappy I wanted
to see what they looked like in direct sunlight - for good reason -
they were unreadable.

If the obvious technical bugs can be worked out, devices resembling
these will be very useful. However, I suspect the market is looking
at them as "thin clients" for "cloud services". Just how 'thin' they
turn out to be will determine how useful they are to us.

I want a lot of computing power with robust 3rd party applications of
my choosing. I tried to search with Google on the Galaxy and got Bing
every time. It's browser refused to even admit Google existed. I
won't buy any device which limits free choice.
Old December 27th 10, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

wrote:
The new Samsung Galaxy Tablet uses the Android System. Do any of the
current flight software systems run on Android? If so which ones? How
well do they interface with the SN10 or 302 ? * How about the XCSoar
program in beta?

In measuring the Galaxy Tablet it is really only about 1.5 inches
taller and wider than my current 3955 setup in cradle. *Seems like a
good possibility for upgrading. Would be able to get satellite feeds
as well...

Steve
S9

I think 2011 will be the year of the tablet and will bring some very
interesting and affordable new options for computers and displays in
the cockpit. There are many low end 7" tablets available this year
already, it will only get more competitive in 2011.

Some things coming this next year:

1. There will be many new 7" display tablets. These will run the
latest Android and Windows Phone 7 operating systems.

2. Pixel Qi will show a new 7" screen in few weeks that should provide
much better daylight readable screens. The 10" screen is currently
available from Make.com and on the Notion Ink Adam (shipping in two
weeks) and I would guess the 7" will be available through make.com as
well in the near future.

3. Windows Phone 7 will be ported to the Tegra 2 chip set providing
options of operating systems with the same chip set.

I expect that SeeYou mobile will be ported to run on the Honeycomb
platform once it is released in mid January. From my experience and
communications I am afraid that WinPilot is in a death spiral and will
disappear soon.

Old January 2nd 11, 08:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob.Russell

On Dec 26 2010, 11:48*am, Darryl Ramm wrote:

The Galaxy is interesting but does not run Honeycomb (the upcoming
Android release aimed at tablets) and personally I would hold off on
buying an Android tablet until they do. Once Honeycomb is out you will
likely see a more interesting tablets and market for software. How
many tablets will be a form factor suitable for cockpits well see.

I'm not too sure that Honeycomb is going to make a difference here.
Honeycomb's not going to really change the kernel or operating system,
it's basically just UI optimizations for larger screens --
optimizations that make no difference at all when you're running a
full-screen app. Most of Honeycomb is still secret, so we could both
end up being wrong.

The only significant soaring software folks publicly playing with
Android seem to be XCSoar. They have a (free of course) version on the
Android Market, I've not played with it and I don't know what devices
it works on (and the only Android device I have is an old G1 phone I
use for testing web content).

XCSoar was built to be an Open Source (Free as in Free Speech as well
as in Free Beer) solution for WinCE/Mo devices, and at that it was
great. It's now undergoing a "port" to run on Linux, which will
include both MeeGo (formerly known as Maemo, the Linux OS from Nokia)
and Android. Because this is a stable WinCE/Mo application, a port to
Linux is fraught with difficult challenges and is a significant
technical undertaking. The internal design of the application will
have been architected based on Windows philosophies, and I've had
nothing but terrible experiences with other Windows applications
ported to Linux.

That being said, I wish nothing but success to those heroes that are
investing their time, talents and energies in this effort.

Four years ago, I gave up on Windows CE/Mobile because every single
interaction with the hardware and operating system cranked up my blood
pressure. As a 12-year Linux professional, I just couldn't take it,
flying was supposed to be for fun.

So I got a Nokia N800 running Maemo (now called MeeGo), and I
installed the Cumulus application from http://kflog.org/cumulus/ --
and I gotta say, that was WAY BETTER than using Windows. I've found
that this solution is incredibly rare in North America, but there are
a few.

As soon as Cumulus was working on Android, I started shopping for an
Android device. I went out in December and bought an HTC Desire Z
(same as a T-Mobile G2, but with a different cellular radio chip).
Because Cumulus was designed and written for Linux from Day 1, it
didn't really have to be ported to Android, just recompiled. I
haven't tried it in the air yet, but it seems to be working great for
me on the ground.

XCSoar is by no means the only game in town for Android, and I've no
doubt that XCSoar on Android might even get better than Cumulus on
Android in 6-24 months because of their current userbase and momentum,
I'm mostly just delighted to see two open-source soaring applications
on an almost-open platform.

You can read about the Android version of Cumulus at
http://www.draisberghof.de/android/cumulus/

I just installed XCSoar 5 minutes ago on my Desire Z to check it out.
My first impressions are that it's clunky and slow, putting extra
horsepower in to emulating windows buttons instead of using android
buttons/menus in the UI. That being said, I'm going to load up the
maps and airspaces in a few weeks and give it a fair shot at winning
me over from Cumulus -- but that won't be easy.

Windows Mobile and Windows CE need a mercy killing. Now if we just get
a real daylight visible Android tablet...

I hear the Dell Streak tablet is great in sun, and at 5", it might be
a better fit for the cockpit than a 7" or 11" tablet. The Coby tablet
can be had for $150 if you hunt around enough.
Old January 3rd 11, 08:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann

Rob.Russell wrote:
The internal design of the application will have been architected
based on Windows philosophies, and I've had nothing but terrible
experiences with other Windows applications ported to Linux.

I am the one doing the port (now joined by Olaf Hartmann), and I took
the very long (and proper) way to do it: clean up the code base,
loosen it from its Windows origins, build the rendering engine on top
of a OS-unaware painting library, and implement a painting backend for
Linux/Android (using either SDL_gfx or OpenGL). All of the other OS
specific things are abstracted too, but not all of it is implemented
on Linux yet. It's not done yet, but it will be when the season in
the northern hemisphere starts (probably XCSoar 6.1).

I just installed XCSoar 5 minutes ago on my Desire Z to check it out.
My first impressions are that it's clunky and slow, putting extra
horsepower in to emulating windows buttons instead of using android
buttons/menus in the UI. That being said, I'm going to load up the
maps and airspaces in a few weeks and give it a fair shot at winning
me over from Cumulus -- but that won't be easy.

You mean you installed XCSoar 6? There's no 5 for Android.

No, it's not putting any "extra" horsepower into emulating Windows
buttons - it just doesn't use Android's UI library, because Android's
UI library is Java only, and XCSoar is C++. Java is a lot slower than
C++. You are right that XCSoar/Android is currently quite slow, but
that is because we havn't optimized it yet, we have concentrated on
making XCSoar 6 a good release on Windows, and you can't do everything
at the same time.

We might use native Android controls at some point for some things
(like dialog boxes), but be sure that it will definitely not be a
performance advantage.

Max
Old January 3rd 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Hi Max

I am interested in making this work on the Samsung Galaxy S - Android +
OLED screen. Might even be useful - and will certainly be better than my
old HP3850 that died last year...

How do I get to test and play.
(I used to be a programmer - even wrote a little C - no C++ - tells you
how long ago)

Cheers
Bruce

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771 & Std Cirrus #57
Old January 3rd 11, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob.Russell

On Jan 3, 2:35*am, Max Kellermann wrote:
I am the one doing the port (now joined by Olaf Hartmann), and I took
the very long (and proper) way to do it: clean up the code base,
loosen it from its Windows origins, build the rendering engine on top
of a OS-unaware painting library, and implement a painting backend for
Linux/Android (using either SDL_gfx or OpenGL). *All of the other OS
specific things are abstracted too, but not all of it is implemented
on Linux yet. *It's not done yet, but it will be when the season in
the northern hemisphere starts (probably XCSoar 6.1).

Thanks for your efforts! My negative comments relate to other
attempts to port other Windows applications to Linux (and vice
versa!), done by other people -- I have never seen person or team
accomplish that kind of task adequately for my needs, including multi-
million-dollar corporate attempts.

I really do wish the best for this project.

I just installed XCSoar 5 minutes ago on my Desire Z to check it out.

You mean you installed XCSoar 6? *There's no 5 for Android.

5 minutes before writing that, I had only just then installed XCSoar
for Android.

Cheers,

Rob
Old January 3rd 11, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob.Russell

On Jan 3, 7:38*am, BruceGreeff wrote:

How do I get to test and play.
(I used to be a programmer - even wrote a little C - no C++ - tells you
how long ago)

Testing and playing with XCSoar for Android starts at:
http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/ -- Just search the Android
Market on your device for "XCSoar." If you have an existing XCSoar
Windows PDA, you should be able to just copy the same maps/data over
to an XCSoarData directory on the SD card of your Android device.

Testing and playing with Cumulus for Android starts at:
http://www.draisberghof.de/android/cumulus/ -- Just search the Android
Market on your device for "XCSoar." (Seems to require Android 2.2
"Froyo"). How to get the maps and airspace files is documented at
that link, as well.

Cheers,

Rob

Android App Mike[_36_] Soaring 8 July 14th 10 10:53 AM
Voyager Flight Software System Bravo Two Zero Piloting 10 April 23rd 07 08:12 PM
Navigation software for laptop Joe General Aviation 3 November 11th 04 04:40 AM
Navzilla Moving Map Software for iPAQs and Laptops Navzilla Team Piloting 1 May 22nd 04 10:10 PM
Navzilla Moving Map Software for iPAQs and Laptops Navzilla Team Aviation Marketplace 0 May 20th 04 03:01 AM