F-22s arrive at Langely

Old October 31st 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Default F-22s arrive at Langely

Jim Macklin wrote:
Microsoft does offer a free PowerPoint viewer

and for the rest of us who don't use MS operating
systems, openoffice handles .ppt files just fine.

--Sylvain
Old October 31st 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d5727-43ab-4f2
4-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=en

I cannot find a MacIntosh OS X version?
Old October 31st 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Stubby wrote:
I have a nice (U) video of the first Raptors over Norfolk. If someone
can tell me how to put it up on a web site, I'll be happy to make it
publicly available.

You can view some short F-22 (Raptor) videos and look at the design
specs etc on http://www.lmco.com search for F-22. There's also some
F-35 (JSF) info. However, the aforementioned shots of the first Raptors
arriving over Norfolk were not there.
Old October 31st 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

john smith wrote:

In article ,
"Jim Macklin" wrote:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d5727-43ab-4f2
4-90b7-a94784af71a4&displaylang=en

I cannot find a MacIntosh OS X version?

download openoffice (http://www.openoffice.org/) or better
yet NeoOffice -- open office with neat aqua gui --
(http://www.neooffice.org/); it handles pretty much -- haven't
found any snag yet -- all MS document formats (read and write);

--Sylvain
Old October 31st 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Sylvain schrieb:

NeoOffice -- open office with neat aqua gui --
(http://www.neooffice.org/); it handles pretty much -- haven't
found any snag yet -- all MS document formats (read and write);

Albeit it runs a bit (very, actually) slow on slower machines. BTW:
Keynote handles PowerPoint files fine, too, if you happen to own it.
(Except if that PowerPoint file was "encoded", whatever this means. Then
you can't see it even with the full PowerPoint on Non-Windows machines.
This alone is enugh to avoid MS products.)

Stefan
Old October 31st 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

For that matter, even something like Flash would be better than PowerPoint

feh.

Flash does not allow the user to control the experience, is a security
hazard on the web, and becasue it cannot be disabled, is primarily used
by advertisers to give us a "more exciting web experience". I have
ripped flash out of my system by the throat.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old October 31st 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
Ok, noted. I've only worked with video that has been transferred straight
off tape. I've not ever heard of AVI as a "wrapper" for other formats.

Well, for what it's worth, that's *all* AVI is. There is no inherent AVI
video codec (nor does an AVI file strictly speaking even have to have video
data in it). AVI is just a standard way of describing what video codec *is*
being used.

I'm sure some of their tools use Quicktime for certain things. What that
has to do with this discussion, I don't see.

It's the one file format that didn't get mentioned...and I'm pretty sure
most people don't equate Quicktime with pro-level work.

I just tossed that out as an "oh by the way."

I see...well, it's true that Quicktime would be a reasonably good option
(and it's one quite commonly used to distribute video in the Internet, as it
happens...maybe that's why no one mentioned it...it just goes without
saying, along with the other common video formats).

Pete

Old October 31st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jose" wrote in message
. ..
Flash does not allow the user to control the experience, is a security
hazard on the web, and becasue it cannot be disabled, is primarily used by
advertisers to give us a "more exciting web experience". I have ripped
flash out of my system by the throat.

Good for you. The world certainly can use more idealists. I have found
the headaches involved in not using Flash greater than the headaches in
using it. Unfortunately, far too many of the web sites that I want to use
insist on using Flash. It drives me up the wall, but my only other option
is to just not use those web sites and unfortunately, it is more
inconvenient to use alternatives than to have Flash installed.

I agree that we'd all be better off without Flash, but the fact remains that
at least it's a defacto standard on the web. It provides more functionality
than the free PowerPoint viewer, and is more widely present. In that
respect, compared to using PowerPoint, it is a superior solution.

Most people would recognize that as damning with faint praise.

Pete

Old October 31st 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

I have found
the headaches involved in not using Flash greater than the headaches in
using it.

Here are two methods:

1: Use a separate, flash enabled browser, for the sites that MUST have
flash. Use your regular browser for the rest, with flash yanked out by
the viscera. (animations and sounds disabled too). Much calmer and
safer web experience.

2: Figure out how to disable Flash for your favorite browser. For IE,
(depending on the version), rename ALL instances of the file
"swflash.osx" or "flash8b.osx" or "flash.osx" (or maybe a few others).
You can do so by adding your initials to the extension, i.e.
flash.osx.jfh or something. Instead of the flash animation, you'll get
a "get flash" button, which you can ignore. Put a text file called
(say) flash8b.jfh.txt in the same directory, so that you remember what
you did and why. Then when you want to see a flash-dependent site,
rename ONE of the ...flash... files back to its original name. Don't
forget to kill it again when you're done!

Jose
Old November 1st 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"Jose" wrote in message
t...
Here are two methods: [yes, I know]

Neither of those methods allow me to avoid having Flash installed, which is
IMHO the biggest problem.

Sure, disabling it conditionally locks down some potential for harm. But if
it's on my computer, it can theoretically be run, with or without a browser.
I'd just as soon people write web sites that worked without Flash. We've
got a perfectly viable markup language, and a style-sheet specification that
has come a long way in making web browsing efficient and easy to design for.
People should be using that, not some third-party media tool.

Pete