Buying a used GLider

Old June 25th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JSF-TC

Default Buying a used GLider

Can I tap into the groups collective wisdom regarding the best process to
use when buying a used glider from another private owner. My first purchase
seven years ago was easy, but I'd like to refresh my memory on all the
things to do, and more importantly what not to do.

The glider is nearly new, both in age and hours and was recently annualed.
As is is half way across the States from me, getting an independant
inspection will be tricky. I think I can check the logbook myself for
current ADs and see obvious damage, that not getting it inspected feels like
low risk.

I will start out with a Title and Lien search on the glider registration.

I have found out the need for the following forms:

FAA Bill of Sale - Form AC 8050-2
FAA Aircraft Registration Application - Form AC 8050-1
Lien Release - Form AC 8050-41

Where a bank has a lien on the glider, what is the usual process for paying
off the loan that the seller has and clearing the lien. Do we need two
checks (one for the bank, and the balance to the seller), or just one check
to the seller for the full amount.

Any other things to do?

Thanks

Paul

Old June 25th 07, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

I would recommend, if there is a sizable lien, to use an escrow service..
they pay the lien with your dollars and get the Lien Release Form
completed.. remember that the FAA must receive the original, not a copy. If
you are going to "close the deal" at the sellers bank, contact the bank and
explain the transaction and what you wish to do. They may ask that you
transfer funds ahead of time into your account with them and they could act
as your escrow service. The "wired ahead" transfer allows them time to
validate the funds.

I would not pay the seller all the cash and expect the lien to be paid and
the paperwork completed correctly. He may be just as confused as you on what
all needs to happen with the paper work.

Half way across the states?, find a local soaring club, other than the
sellers, and ask them who they use for annual inspections. Contact that
person and ask them for a "pre buy" inspection and review of the log books.
You are paying a professional for his time, but well worth a few hundred
dollars depending on your investment. It should not be and should not cost a
full annual.

Just because the seller says, annual just completed, you do not know if it
is a "valid" annual or a "paper annual", unless you know the A&Ps
reputation.

I know this sounds like gloom and doom, but if you are investing $70+ K in a
recently new glider... it's worth the extra to protect your investment.

Also make sure your insurance will be active on the new purchase, at least
ground coverage for trailering it home.

BT

.net...

Old June 25th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 24, 10:41?pm, "BT" wrote:
Contact that
person and ask them for a "pre buy" inspection and review of the log books.
You are paying a professional for his time, but well worth a few hundred
dollars depending on your investment. It should not be and should not cost a
full annual.

Just because the seller says, annual just completed, you do not know if it
is a "valid" annual or a "paper annual", unless you know the A&Ps
reputation.

If you do not knbow the inspector's reputation and maybe even if you
do, the pre-buy should be an Annual or Condition Inspection. You never
know what will be found with a serious inspection. You might even find
things that can be used to negotiate a more favorable price.

I can't tell you how many times a newly purchased and freshly annualed
glider has been brought to me for some work or other reason only to
find some very nasty things that were missed or just innored by the
previous owner and whoever it was that did the inspection. Better to
have it fixed on the other guys time and wallet rather than yours.

Robert Mudd
A&P I.A.
Moriarty, New Mexico

Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
buying help John Doe Owning 21 August 17th 05 07:08 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
BUYING Cap 10b(c) os_pivo Aviation Marketplace 0 October 13th 03 07:15 PM
FS:CoF and why I won't be buying it Steve House Simulators 4 August 16th 03 02:24 AM