Problem: Ground Speed Estimate with Volkslogger and WinPilot

Old August 26th 03, 03:56 AM
RamyYanetz

Default Problem: Ground Speed Estimate with Volkslogger and WinPilot

I noticed the same problem with my winpilot/VL, although I don't think it has
anything to do with VL, since the ground speed is correct in the NAV box, but
incorrect only in the final glide display. I reported this problem to Jerry
last year, not sure if it was fixed in later releases.

Ramy

Is anyone else seeing the WinPilot/Volkslogger problem I am seeing?

Running WinPilot v3.019 Adv on an IPAQ 3635. GPS data is from a
Volkslogger. The GPS signal is also fed to a Cambridge LNAV.

Everything works fine except the WinPilot function to estimate task
completion time based on ground speed. This function is found on the
final glide display page (touching the chevrons on the left side of
the map, then pressing the MC button to let finish time computation
use the ground speed.

The WinPilot estimate of ground speed shown is something like 18-20
mph, instead of 50mph+ actual.

My NMEA mask for the Volkslogger is
- - X X X - - - -

Inspection of the NEMA sentances my Volkslogger is putting out all
look ok (short example below). GPGGA (fix data), GPRMC (speed data),
and GPRMB (track data) are all present.

Anyone else have this function working correctly with a Volkslogger
feeding WinPilot?

Bob

==================== Example NEMA Stream ==============
$PGCS,2,VL,175*30

Old August 26th 03, 04:52 AM
Bob Gibbons

Ramy, good point, I did not check the Nav Box Ground Speed output. Per
your suggestion I just pulled up an old WinPilot log file and ran it
in playback mode. Sure enough, just as you say, the Nav box ground
speed is correct and the final glide page ground speed is wrong. The
finish time estimate matches the erroneous ground speed.

I reported this problem to Jerry
last year, not sure if it was fixed in later releases.

Interesting, I reported this to Jerry last week. His response was that
he had never heard of this problem before.

I'll fire him off another note with your Nav box example He should be
able to check it quickly himself with a WinPilot log file.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob

On 26 Aug 2003 02:56:29 GMT, (RamyYanetz) wrote:

I noticed the same problem with my winpilot/VL, although I don't think it has
anything to do with VL, since the ground speed is correct in the NAV box, but
incorrect only in the final glide display. I reported this problem to Jerry
last year, not sure if it was fixed in later releases.

Ramy

..... Rest of post removed .....

Old August 26th 03, 01:00 PM
chris

Is the ground speed supposed to be the current speed OR the average
achieved groundspeed for the leg or last 30 minutes?

The second will be a lot lower than the first if you spend time
thermaling.

The ETA could be based on either of these.

Chris
Old August 26th 03, 03:06 PM
Andrew Warbrick

No, ground speed is supposed to be GPS ground speed,
'Avg Leg' is supposed to be achieved ground speed for
the leg (which appears to work properly). Unfortunately,
if it worked, ground speed would be the best option
for final glides in wave where you can be covering
100km or more at a fairly constant speed in a straight
line. The ETA can also be based on macready speed,
the average for the whole task or a manually entered
speed.

BTW, the problem is with Winpilot, not the Volkslogger
because the same happens to me using a Colibri, I guess
a unit conversion factor gets applied wrongly somewhere.

I have a feeling the same, incorrect, ground speed
might be being applied to the calculation of L/D in
the nav box, the value is frequently less than I would
expect when flying in good or still air and also less
than the value a quick mental calculation gives (ie.
cruising for a minute at a fixed airspeed and dividing
the airspeed by the average sink rate).

At 12:48 26 August 2003, Chris wrote:
Is the ground speed supposed to be the current speed
OR the average
achieved groundspeed for the leg or last 30 minutes?

The second will be a lot lower than the first if you
spend time
thermaling.

The ETA could be based on either of these.

Chris

First Time in IMC and vacuum problem Jon Kraus Instrument Flight Rules 51 January 8th 05 09:44 PM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
Wing in Ground Effect? BllFs6 Home Built 10 December 18th 03 06:11 AM
Antenna Ground Plane Grounding Fastglasair Home Built 1 July 8th 03 05:21 PM