Lark life extension

Old March 16th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Default Lark life extension

I am researching the IS28B2 Lark for our club. From what I can tell
these aircraft reach their life limit around 2014. Am I correct in
this deduction? The info is pretty scarce. In fact I can not find a
copy of EO-24 anywhere on the web. If this is true, is everyone
planning to convert to experimental catagory? Am I correct in saying
that under experimental catagory commercial operations will not be
possible?

Thanks for any input.

XF
Old March 16th 10, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 16, 11:38*am, lanebush wrote:
I am researching the IS28B2 Lark for our club. *From what I can tell
these aircraft reach their life limit around 2014. *Am I correct in
this deduction? *The info is pretty scarce. *In fact I can not find a
copy of EO-24 anywhere on the web. *If this is true, is everyone
planning to convert to experimental catagory? *Am I correct in saying
that under experimental catagory commercial operations will not be
possible?

Thanks for any input.

XF

You are correct re experimental and commercial use.
You should also not assume that moving to experimental precludes
applicating of manufacturer specified life limits.
The FAA goes by manufacturer's approved data.
FWIW
UH
Old March 16th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 16, 9:38*am, lanebush wrote:
I am researching the IS28B2 Lark for our club. *From what I can tell
these aircraft reach their life limit around 2014. *Am I correct in
this deduction? *The info is pretty scarce. *In fact I can not find a
copy of EO-24 anywhere on the web. *If this is true, is everyone
planning to convert to experimental catagory? *Am I correct in saying
that under experimental catagory commercial operations will not be
possible?

Thanks for any input.

XF

Larks have gone through multiple life extensions, which have little or
nothing to do with airframe hours, but do require calendar-based
special inspections. It's more like a shelf-life. Anyone know if 35
years was the final extension? The example you are looking at
apparently was built about 1978, but construction continued into the
mid-1990's. There are a couple for sale on segelflug.de built in 1988
and 1989 priced at 8000E each. There are a couple of L-13's on there
also you might look over if in your price range.

FWIW, some Aussies did a study on three high-time Larks several years
ago and presented to OSTIV. IIRC, they concluded aerobatics should be
stopped at 14,500 hours. I know about one here in the US that had the
skin separate from the spar due to water in the wings freezing and
thawing in western Colorado. That was repaired and it is operating
with a club in the south. Corrosion seems to have been the major
shelf life concern as many were left tied out instead of protected.

Frank Whiteley

Old March 16th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 16, 12:52*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

There's an L-13 in the SSA classifieds also.

Frank
Old March 16th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob.Russell

On Mar 16, 2:54*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

There's an L-13 in the SSA classifieds also.

I'd rather they buy our L-13, though I'll be sad to see it go:
http://sosaglidingclub.com/blanik/

(Or pair of new K21s last season has cut in on her popularity)
Old March 16th 10, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Mar 16, 1:51*pm, "Rob.Russell" wrote:
On Mar 16, 2:54*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:

There's an L-13 in the SSA classifieds also.

I'd rather they buy our L-13, though I'll be sad to see it go:http://sosaglidingclub.com/blanik/

(Or pair of new K21s last season has cut in on her popularity)

I don't see it listed on sac.ca
Old March 16th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

I hear they're doing a remake of Escape from New York...
Old March 17th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob.Russell

On Mar 16, 4:03*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Mar 16, 1:51*pm, "Rob.Russell" wrote:
I'd rather they buy our L-13, though I'll be sad to see it go:http://sosaglidingclub.com/blanik/

I don't see it listed on sac.ca

I'll investigate to determine the relevant volunteer and ensure that
his pay is appropriately docked.

Grob 103 Twin II Life Extension Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 2 May 18th 09 01:15 PM
Grob 103 Twin II Life Extension Mike McCarron[_2_] Soaring 2 May 18th 09 02:49 AM
LS-6A and B life extension JS Soaring 0 December 8th 05 11:56 PM
Life extension LS6 a-b Stuart Soaring 1 January 20th 05 06:16 AM
Puchacz life extension Janusz Kesik Soaring 0 November 9th 03 10:49 AM