Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

Old June 26th 18, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp at Marfa, Texas OCT 12-28, 2018

On Monday, May 21, 2018 at 6:18:50 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
Ever flown in an open-cockpit sailplane?
You can at Marfa, Texas, October 12-28, 2018 in my restored Schleicher ASK-13!
See photos at my Facebook page as "Burton Compton."

I just returned from the annual Vintage and Classic Sailplane Raly at Lawrenceville, IL hosted by the Wabash Valley Soaring Association. What a great club of guys and gals! Fun to be flying along with an original Phoenix fly as well as a Zugvogel and the Midwest glider, among others.

RSVP soon for my "Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp" at Marfa in southwest Texas, October 12-28, 2018.
This will be a one-time event so this is your year to fly vintage and classic sailplanes at historic Marfa, site of the 15th National Landmark of Soaring.
Old June 27th 18, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Vintage and classic - that describes our club fleet. 2 Bergfalke (oldest built in 1957), a Blanick, a Zugvogel (1963) and a KA8. The private fleet not much newer, another Zugvogel, 2 STD Cirrus (both 1974), a Kestrel (also 1974) and a LAK-12 (1996 but performance of an early '70s German open class like a Nimbus 2).
Old July 3rd 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Marfa, Texas, Accommodations - WHERE TO STAY: Due to the popularity of Marfa, there is no "slow season!" Almost every weekend we host an art, film or music festival, therefore Marfa has become a popular year-round destination for tourists, artists, musicians and glider enthusiasts.

Hotel rooms can be limited so make a reservation soon (and RSVP with me if you are coming to my "Oktoberfest" Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp)!

For local accommodations and activities, please visit our tourism website at www.visitmarfa.com
I highly recommend the beautifully restored Hotel Paisano in Marfa, just 3 miles from the airport, the traditional gathering place / watering hole of soaring enthusiasts since 1960: www.hotelpaisano.com or call 432-729-3669.

For longer stays, short term rentals of houses and studio apartments may be booked at www.airbnb.com

For accommodations in nearby Fort Davis and information about the evening "Star Parties" at the McDonald Observatory telescopes on Mount Locke in the Davis Mountains, go to www.fortdavis.com
Advance reservations are now required for the Star Party at www.mcdonaldobservatory.org

You may also find accommodation in the college town of Alpine, 26 miles east of Marfa on scenic highway 67. Hotels in Alpine include Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Quality Inn and many independent motels. Go to www.visitalpine..com

Old August 14th 18, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

60 days to go! RSVP NOW for my Oktoberfest Vintage and Classic Sailplane Camp is October 12 to 28, 2018 at Marfa in southwest Texas, historic site of "The Sun Ship Game" (1969) film and the 15th National Landmark of Soaring. Come fly with me in my ASK-13 with the second open cockpit "Cabriolet" canopy.

This is a one-time event as I downsize Marfa Gliders with plans to retire.
Offered for sale: 1946 J-3 Cub (85 hp), ASK-13 with second "open cockpit" canopy, Schweizer 1-36 and my Standard Cirrus.

Advance reservations are now required for the Star Party at www.mcdonaldobservatory.org

Old September 26th 18, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

When visiting me in Marfa for the upcoming "Oktoberfest" Vintage & Classic Sailplane Camp. plan on evening grilling, glorious sunsets and star-gazing in "Burt's Backyard", facing north across the grassy plateau to the Davis Mountains, 30 miles away. I was lucky in 2002 to buy this house (and two guest houses next door) on the very north edge of town with a very deluxe view of the Marfa Plateau and mountains beyond. For photos and more find me as "Burton Compton" on Facebook.

No oil here as under the grasslands is a huge aquifer of water. We sit at 5,000' above sea level, up into the cooler air and low humidity as Marfa is 600 miles west of the Gulf of Mexico. Beautiful Big Bend National Park is 100 miles south. El Paso (ELP) is the nearest airline terminal.

Yes, I fly year-round at Marfa in southwest Texas, giving the FREE checkrides and facilitating the fun but don't wait too long to plan your trip because your "someday" is NOW!
See the visitor information at www.visitmarfa.com