Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

Old November 20th 18, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Recommended configuration: ADS-B receiver, iPad, software?

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 6:30:37 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Thanks Bruce,

I had a Stratux a couple of years ago.Â* Played with it for a while and
sold it.Â* I don't think the stratux will work with the iPad, will it?Â*
It's now moot since I won't be buying anything else.

On 11/19/2018 9:18 AM, Bruce wrote:
Dan

Build yourself a Stratux (http://stratux.me/). Works the same as Stratus. A buddy and I have tested both and there is little or no difference. You can buy a Stratux prebuild or build it yourself. Build it yourself, I think I spent about $150(thru Amazon) with every option and assembled it in about 1/2 hour taking my time and double checking everything. The next one would take about 15 minutes. Works!!

Bruce

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 8:26:48 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I got the XGPS-170d for ADS-B in capability in the glider long before
considering installing ADS-B in the glider and, I think before we
installed it in the Cessna 180.Â* Unfortunately, it won't work with the
iPad (thanks Apple), and the Android version of Garmin Pilot crashes all
the time and doesn't have all the functionality of the Apple version
(thanks Garmin), so I'm stuck with both now.Â* Had I to do it over, I'd
get the stratus and use the iPad in both aircraft.Â* Oh wait...Â* Avare
won't work on the iPad so I'd have to buy ForeFlight to use in both
aircraft (thanks Apple and/or Google and/or Garmin) so I...Â* Oh never
mind.Â* I'm stuck with both now.

On 11/19/2018 6:39 AM, Jeff wrote:
I have an iPad mini 4 and a Stratus for adsb in. Works great and I can easily move it between aircraft. I do not have adsb out, so I miss some of the traffic. If I’m flying low on the ridges, the adsb signal is poor and intermittent so I’m missing traffic anyway......
--
Dan, 5J

--
Dan, 5J

Time goes fast. I think you played with it a few years ago. The new hardware/software works very well with ForeFlight as an example.
Old November 20th 18, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 1:47:34 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Andy Blackburn was in involved in that one (against my better advice/pessimism). He is in that thread you linked to. You could ask him where this is at, and details about USA ADS-B interoperability etc., if he does not pop up here to reply.

Thanks Darryl.

This thread already captures the high points of the NMEA Stratux project. Here is some additional color commentary:

I launched the project a couple of years ago and got some initial traction, but then had some issues with pinouts and left it for about a year. At that time I started getting queries from other glider pilots who had found the project on GitHub, so four of us (Andrzej Kobus, John Carlyle, Charlie Gillespie and I) went back at it. By then the fork in the Stratux code was dormant and the person who kindly did the initial coding had lost interest. He did one final round of edits and bowed out.

We did end up with code that successfully modified Stratux to output NMEA sentences more or less in line with the Flarm Dataport Spec. I don't know if this mod works with the current version of Stratux so beware. When I say 'more or less' I mean that the collision warnings don't use the Flarm collision algorithms at all, they are simple proximity warnings that (IIRC) go to the higher alarm values as the target gets closer. It also doesn't de-dupe targets so anyone carrying UAT Out and Flarm (probably no one) or 1090ES Out and Flarm (probably a lot over time - something like 40% of US contest pilots in the latest poll either have 1090ES Out or plan to get it in two years) will generate duplicate targets. As Darryl said, the best plan for that would be to use Stratux for UAT only or have a dedicated display for all ADS-B targets.

There are outer issues when you get down to actual implementation. Some people used a K6 MUX to combine Stratux NMEA with Flarm NMEA so it can be routed to a single display, which seemed to work. The problem with that is that the Flarm Dataport Spec does not contemplate having two traffic sources on the same serial connection, so all the status sentences, such as whether you have good GPS, will either be merged, which will generate unexpected results (e.g. alternating good/bad GPS indications - but no indication which one is which), or you can use the filter function in the K6 MUX to pass status for only one source and never know if the other source is working or not (unless you see a target, which is less than ideal).

There was some other funkiness in the traffic I saw (traffic changing between ADS-R, TIS-B and between 1090-ES and UAT. I suspect this was because they were going in and out of range of my receiver and/or different ground stations, SSR coverage or the service volumes of aircraft receiving ADS-R and TIS-B). We pre-pended two letter codes to each target to identify which band (u for UAT, e for 1090eS) and which service (direct, tIS-B, ADS-r) we were receiving, which was super useful for debugging. These only showed up in ForeFlight. Seems to me that knowing if a target is TIS-B in particular is helpful because the display ought to reflect a much higher position uncertainty.

Andrzej has the source code and, as he said, may take it up. Here is a link to some photos of output on my Oudie and Foreflight.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...Eg5ME8zZmNJWGs

As for me, I'm waiting for the new Flarm-licensed devices (e.g. LXNav PowerMouse) that apparently will recognize ADS-R and TIS-B traffic. This will cover the vast majority of my use cases and I think is superior to having to keep PCAS turned on, since it'll give me a rough GPS location for transponder-only and/or Mode C traffic so long as they have radar coverage (or ground station coverage for ADS-R - assuming you have ADS-B Out) along with the proper collision warning and de-duplication that can only be done inside an integrated receiver. Darryl - please correct anything that's incorrect in the above. I just pounded this out and may have been sloppy about some details.

The FAA should've just mandated Mode-S for the US and avoided all this foolishness, but that's spilled milk.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old November 20th 18, 01:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 4:18:30 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:

One other thing. To my knowledge, the Stratux code doesn't allow you to set horizontal or vertical ranges for traffic display, so you are going to see everything. You may or may not think this is a good thing. Another reason to go with one of the Flarm-based devices.

Andy
Old November 20th 18, 02:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 4:39:25 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 4:18:30 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:

One other thing. To my knowledge, the Stratux code doesn't allow you to set horizontal or vertical ranges for traffic display, so you are going to see everything. You may or may not think this is a good thing. Another reason to go with one of the Flarm-based devices.

Andy

And at times that might be a problem for some traffic displays, not sure, but that easy to test/simulate.

---

All great stuff if you are technical and hacking on a fun project, I just don't want folks thinking they are getting anything that will just work or that they should rely on to work like a commercial product. /* insert jokes about early PowerFLARM issues here */

If Andrzej is willing to help hand-hold folks that's fantastic.
Old November 20th 18, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 5:16:05 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 4:39:25 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Monday, November 19, 2018 at 4:18:30 PM UTC-8, Andy Blackburn wrote:

One other thing. To my knowledge, the Stratux code doesn't allow you to set horizontal or vertical ranges for traffic display, so you are going to see everything. You may or may not think this is a good thing. Another reason to go with one of the Flarm-based devices.

Andy

And at times that might be a problem for some traffic displays, not sure, but that easy to test/simulate.

Seemed to work fine in a busy terminal area (SFO) on my Oudie. I can't speak for the smaller, dedicated displays, which I presume have less processing power.

The other thing I'd point out is running Stratux on a Raspberry Pi draws about 5-6 times as much power as an integrated Flarm device, plus you still have to run Flarm if you are being serious about glider traffic, plus a K6 MUX to combine the traffic (or a separate display, which draws power). That adds up to nearly an amp of current drain, which can be a lot depending on how much battery capacity you are carrying. Andrej was able to turn down the WiFi output power since we weren't connecting to an iPAD for our operations, but that helps only a bit.

Fun project, but it ultimately it will be overwhelmed by more robust, less complicated and less power-hungry solutions. It convinced me that TIS-B and ADS-R service capability is the best path to fill out the current holes in traffic visibility.

Andy Blackburn
9B