Licensing order

Old March 15th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt[_4_]

Default Licensing order

Hi all,
I've been looking into getting my private pilot's license. I've taken
test flights in a cessna (172SP) and a glider (GROB 103). I really
liked the glider, but I also like the benefits of the private.

What order would be best to get both licenses? Should I get a private
first with a glider addon or go for the glider first and work toward
the private?

Also, would getting a private be worthwhile even if I mostly fly
gliders?

thanks,
Matt
Old March 15th 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Matt,

I received my glider license first. I later did some power flying and found
that none (or nearly none) of the glider time could be used toward my power
rating. Therefore, if you are sure you want both in the long run, it may
make sense to get your power rating first.

However, I much prefer flying gliders and never finished my power rating. I
will do that someday, but for now I fly only gliders. I enjoy the
challenges offered by soaring much more than the challenges offered by power
flying. But I did enjoy flying power planes.

There are lessons learned while flying power planes which are good to have
when flying gliders. For example, I learned a lot more about radio
communications while flying power planes.

I hope you enjoy flying as much as I do.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old March 16th 10, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ken

If I had the resources to do it again, I might start with power and move
to glider. The breadth of knowledge required for an SEL rating is
broader, while just as arguably the depth of knowledge to fly a glider
(well) is ... well... deeper. As far as the certification process goes,
a lot transfers from SEL to G but not the other way around.

So, if you want a broader aviation knowledge base and the flexibility to
fly the club's tow plane ;-) AND you have the resources: SEL then G. If
sailplanes is just where it's at for you, then get the glider ticket and
spend the extra time and money learning to thermal. :-)

IMHO.

--ken

In article
,

Old March 16th 10, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

*Matt wrote:
Hi all,
I've been looking into getting my private pilot's license. I've taken
test flights in a cessna (172SP) and a glider (GROB 103). I really
liked the glider, but I also like the benefits of the private.

What order would be best to get both licenses? Should I get a private
first with a glider addon or go for the glider first and work toward
the private?

Also, would getting a private be worthwhile even if I mostly fly
gliders?

thanks,
Matt- Hide quoted text -

A Private pilot certificate is just that. A majority of the knowledge
you would need for both is required for either one.
That said, in gliding there will be a, in my experience, an increased
level of attention on basic airmanship- just flying the aircraft very
well. The current emphasis, which I see in my students who have done
both, is on radios, procedures, and a lot of stuff which, is
important, but commonly at the expense of being a really good stick
and rudder pilot. One of my teenage students recently added her
airplane rating to her private certificate. It really wasn't that hard
for her at all.
Probably the most important reason for you to go one way or the other,
is which one will get your heart pumping and also make you want to
pick up the books and study.
Good luck and have fun.
UH
Old March 16th 10, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT[_3_]

First off, they are both Private Pilot Certificates.. whether you are rated
for Airplane or Glider.
So saying you like the benefits of the "private" does not make sense.
Saying you like the benefits of flying an airplane (or powered aircraft)
does make sense.

I realize you are new to the game.
If you are wanting to do both, it matters not which you do first.
Getting a powered aircraft (Airplane) rating first may make the glider
certificate easier later.
Getting the Glider Private Pilot certificate first may take longer to
accomplish, but as another posted, not much of the glider time can count
towards the airplane time requirements. But the learning will be quicker in
the other, which ever you do first.

Welcome aboard.

BT

Old March 16th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy[_7_]

Dude!!!
You are getting a Private Pilot Certificate in either case!

However, I would suggest completing your certificate by getting the
power rating. I think you will have a much better understanding and
feel for airspace issues by completing the power rating. The glider
add-on will make you a much better stick and rudder pilot.

I think one of the problems we are having in the glider community with
regards to transponders and talking with airspace controllers and
towers is that many glider pilots never got comfortable with those
issues by flying power.

Besides, after listening to the constant drone of the engine and the
cryptic chatter on the radio while working on the power rating, the
peace and quiet of glider flying will be absolute heaven.

Guy
Old March 16th 10, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Similar to Guy:
Glider at least to solo. Learn what the wings do.
ASEL to Private. Learn the additional bits. (take a written test)
Glider add-on. (no second written test) Enjoy.
Jim
Old March 16th 10, 09:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]

On Mar 15, 11:54*pm, JS wrote:
Similar to Guy:
Glider at least to solo. Learn what the wings do.
ASEL to Private. Learn the additional bits. (take a written test)
Glider add-on. (no second written test) Enjoy.
Jim

There is another alternative to consider, which some believe
represents the best of both worlds: Get your glider rating then add a
self-launch endorsement, which is considerably easier and not as
expensive to obtain as an SEL rating. Then you can fly regular
sailplanes as well as self-launch sailplanes and touring-style
motorgliders.

I have been flying my Lambada touring motorglider on my Private Pilot
Glider rating and Self-Launch Endorsement for several years now.
Modern lightweight touring motorgliders are equipped with reliable 4-
stroke engines, have a 1000 fpm climb rate and can be equipped for and
are capable of long distance high speed cruising (like an SEL
airplane.) You can also use the engine simply to launch and to cruise
out to the best soaring locations, shut the engine off to soar, then
relight the engine to fly home at the end of the day. And with the
engine off, the Lambada flies like a glider and has reasonable soaring
performance.

And there is another little-known benefit: as a Private Pilot (Glider
rating) with powered experience, you may choose to exercise your Sport
Pilot privileges and fly any Light Sport compliant powered aircraft
(including Cubs, Champs, Evektor Sportstars, etc) with simple logbook
endorsements from qualified instructors, without taking another FAA
written test or flying with an FAA Designated Examiner.

Have Fun !
Old March 16th 10, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nic

Matt,
Get the glider rating first, then get checked out in a light sport
powered airplane. The transition to light sport is easy and cheap.
You will only need a few hours in the light sport aircraft, you don't
need a written or any check rides, and you can fly without a medical.
If you want to get a private power rating, the light sport time counts
toward the power rating. This is the cheapest way by far to get both
ratings. It will get you in the air quicker and cheaper.

Ed Gaddy
Old March 16th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

On Mar 15, 11:54*pm, JS wrote:
Similar to Guy:
Glider at least to solo. Learn what the wings do.
ASEL to Private. Learn the additional bits. (take a written test)
Glider add-on. (no second written test) Enjoy.
Jim

I went in that order, but before the sport ratings were around.
All the glider flying counted towards the airplane rating hourly
requirements, and I was able to fly the entire flight (with guidance)
from the first time I got in the airplane. However, I had to train
the instructor in where the holes were in my education, so it took
him 20 hours to solo me. Solo work was primarily to get the
required cross country time.

Once I had the airplane rating, I actually used it a couple of times
on business trips. Then, my company changed its policy so that
you couldn't fly yourself on trips anymore. I have flown gliders
exclusively since then. The cost to get the hours the insurance
company wants for me to be able to tow is much too high for
me to bother.

I did learn some important things in the airplane -- how to deal
with complexity, how to navigate, how to deal with ATC. All
those are useful in the glider.

-- Matt

Licensing Question - US Gary Emerson Soaring 5 December 10th 07 11:28 PM
Hypothetical ?? About Licensing Kyle Boatright Piloting 5 March 14th 07 12:59 PM
Gyro's and Licensing TM Rotorcraft 0 December 31st 06 01:56 AM
licensing for homebuilts Tater Schuld Home Built 24 February 27th 06 11:55 AM
BGA and licensing Mark James Boyd Soaring 6 August 24th 04 03:16 AM