Airports and places to live in Raleigh

Old February 25th 04, 02:30 AM
dave

Default Airports and places to live in Raleigh

There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Dave

Old February 25th 04, 07:11 AM
Addison Laurent

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 21:30:49 -0500, dave wrote:

There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

(I'd email you a lot more info, but you hid your email a bit _too_ well).

http://home.nc.rr.com/lakeridge/

If you don't mind about a 30 minute drive, TTA is a very nice field, good
FBO. (I'm a not-active member of the flying club based there, which I'd
also highly recommend joining).

5W5 is where I trained, and I've got a soft spot for it still, but last I
heard the FBO wasn't open on a regular basis.

The North side I don't know very well, I lived in Apex. (Right next to
the privately-owned Cox field, if you've got a good grass/short field
plane, it's an option).

Addison
Old February 25th 04, 03:36 PM
Wright1902Glider

If you're on the north side, check out Franklin County (LHZ). The FBO there,
First In Flight Aviation, has been very good to me over the last year. I
can't locate a working website for them right now, but the ph# is (919)
255-6898.

LHZ is out in the country, about 25 minutes north of downtown. Louisburg and
Youngsville are small towns, but the drive into the city (at least into Wake
Forest) is easy and just about everything can be had in the Town Center Mall
area on the north side.

Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises

Photos of us at LHZ and with FIFA at Town Center Mall:
http://hometown.aol.com/wright1902gl...899glider.html

Old February 25th 04, 08:58 PM
Dave Butler

dave wrote:
There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Hi Dave,

I'm based at RDU. Highest convenience, highest hangar and tiedown rates. I have
an outside tie-down for $55/mo. Last I knew, hangars were $280/month. Not sure
whether any are currently available.

As others have mentioned, TTA has a lot going for it. It's not too bad a drive
from the Cary area (where I live). There are other airports nearby, too, some
private. Give us a better idea what you're looking for...

A lot will depend on where you live and work, and the kinds of facilities you
are looking for. If you're working in RTP (as I do) RDU is really the only
choice close to where you work. 15 minute drive.

Email me if you like. Need hard surface? Need instrument approaches? Need
small-airport mentality? Looking for best schools? Cheapest housing? What?

It's a nice place to live, hope you can make it happen. But after you move,
we're closing to new arrivals. ;-)

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old February 26th 04, 06:35 AM
Ernest Christley

dave wrote:
There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Dave

Skip all the boring airplane stuff on my webpage (link below) and you'll
find a real-estate agent who get dragged around to all the local
airports periodically. She should be able to answer more question than
you'll ever have.

Heh, Addison, I got my ticket at Lakeridge a year and a half back. If
you run into Paul Hessy, tell him I'll be back around before too much
longer. I just got back into the job market after a long hiatus.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old February 26th 04, 01:53 PM
Rich Badaracco

Dave,
A friend of mine is a realtor in the Raleigh area and she has been working
on the development of an airpark. You can reach her at the following
numbers:
Jill Flink

York Simpson Underwood

(919) 227-7303 desk

(919) 272-0272 cell

jillflink.com

Jill is a pilot and a real nice person. I forwarded your post so she is
aware of this.

Old February 26th 04, 02:24 PM
ajohnson

dave wrote in message news:sNT_b.118474$uV3.615639@attbi_s51...
There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Dave

For Airpark living the only one available that I'm aware of
is Lake Ridge, which a link has already been posted too. That's
where I fly out of. Grass strip, great family atmosphere with
lots of tail draggers and fly ins on weekends, but no instrument
approaches.

RDU is the big boy in the center, but is pretty GA friendly and
if you work in RTP will be close to work.

Other than that, there are several reliever airports that are
pretty similar (1 5000x100 foot runway with ILS) - JNX, LHZ,
TTA, and (slightly further away) TDF. To meet your 'not too
expensive' criteria will move you out of town and closer to
one of the above - home price is inversely proportional to
the distance to RTP.

Popular 'cheaper' Raleigh/RTP 'suburbs' and matching reliever airports:
Clayton - JNX
Wake Forest - LHZ
Creedmoor/Butner/Durham - 8NC8 (Lake Ridge)
Pittsboro/Holly Springs - TTA

--
Allen Johnson
Old February 26th 04, 09:24 PM
Jay Beckman

"dave" wrote in message
There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Dave

From the woefully uninformed department:

Would Moore County Airport be considered too far away from the RTP area?

I was just down that way (staying in Southern Pines) and Moore County looked
like a nice sized airport for GA.

There was even a sign on the fence relating to a CAF wing there and a N/A T6
on the ramp.

The people who actually live down there would know better...

Just my $0.02 worth...

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot
1.9 Hrs ... Nowhere to go but up!

Old February 27th 04, 12:12 AM
Sean Trost

Jay,
Depends on where the Gent is planning on working. its about an hour
away from Down town Raleigh. But it is a nice airport.
Sean

Jay Beckman wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

There is a slight possibility that i may take a job in Raleigh NC,
actually RTP area.

What is the airport and hangar situation there?

Any preferred places to live which aren't too expensive?

Airpark living?

Thanks

Dave

From the woefully uninformed department: