Question

Old April 5th 04, 01:27 PM
Charles S

Default Question

I apologize for posting this 'non-home built' question here.
But I believe here is where I am most likely to discover the answer.
My question involves how the Germans in WWII fired cannon through the
propeller hub of V-12 engines.
I cannot see how this is accomplished, since to my knowledge there were no
gear reduction units on these planes..
I can only suppose that the diameter of the 'throw' journal was large
enough,
that it always included the centerline of the crankshaft. This would be a
hugh diameter.
Thus a hole bored through the centerline of the crank,
would also be through each 'throw' journal. Thereby making a continous
bore,
with no exposure to the crankcase.
This seems unlikely, as it would add tremendous amount of weight to an
engine.
And, those ME-109 cranks I have seen on TV do not seem to have that feature.

So, I am still confused.
Again, sorry about posting here, and thanks.

Old April 5th 04, 05:30 PM
Jan Carlsson

They was geared!

/Jan Carlsson

link.net...

Old April 5th 04, 06:10 PM
Corky Scott

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 12:27:26 GMT, "Charles S"
wrote:

[...]

Ah but your premise is wrong: ALL high performance WWII military
engines used gear reduction to swing the props. That includes the
radials and the inline liquid cooled engines.

The Bf 109 used a Daimler Benze DB601 2,070 cubic inch displacement,
fuel injected inverted engine. The canon used in the models F and G
but not the E used during the Battle of Britain, nestled between the
banks of the inverted V12 and fired through the hollow gear that spun
the prop. It wasn't a terrific idea but given that the wings were
never designed to handle canon within the airfoil (The Bf 109 was
designed in 1935 when most fighters used machine guns mounted in their
nose and Messerschmitt did not want to spoil his wings with wing
mounted armaments). So he designed them very thin. The wing design
proved difficult to put canon into which is why you see canon mounted
on blisters under them, rather than in them.

Corky Scott

PS, google Bf 109 and you'll find lots of information.

Old April 5th 04, 09:10 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, "Charles S" wrote:

...My question involves how the
Germans in WWII fired cannon through the
propeller hub of V-12 engines.
I cannot see how this is accomplished,
since to my knowledge there were no
gear reduction units on these planes..

There were, in fact, gear reduction units on the DB601 and similar
engines. The cannon was oriented through a tunnel between the two
cylinder banks. The tunnel opened through a bore in the center of the
drive hub of the propeller.

This page pretty much describes the system, and has a diagram that
shows the cannon tunnel:

http://www.aviation-history.com/engines/db605.htm

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com

Question for Squirrel the Lurker jls Home Built 0 January 30th 04 03:41 PM
Poly Dope Question Michael Home Built 3 January 29th 04 08:10 AM
Zenith Zodiac XL question Mick Home Built 4 January 14th 04 06:47 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 02:51 AM
Question on Pulsejets/Ramjets??? DarylG1532 Home Built 3 August 16th 03 03:20 AM