Best lap top computer value for Soaring

Old May 23rd 04, 10:39 PM
Snead1

Default Best lap top computer value for Soaring

I am considering an upgrade of my lap top computer. I am operating a LX 7000
and Cambridge GPS NAV in the glider. I am also using Seeyou. I would like a
screen that is more visable in the sun. I am also concerned with the serial
interface with the two flight computers and turning in data logs to scorers.

What has worked out well?

Bill Snead
6W
Old May 23rd 04, 10:54 PM
Kevin Christner

On 23 May 2004 21:39:41 GMT, (Snead1) wrote:

I am considering an upgrade of my lap top computer. I am operating a LX 7000
and Cambridge GPS NAV in the glider. I am also using Seeyou. I would like a
screen that is more visable in the sun. I am also concerned with the serial
interface with the two flight computers and turning in data logs to scorers.

What has worked out well?

Bill Snead
6W

Hi Bill,

I recently upgraded to a computer (Dell) with only USB interfaces. I
have tested several USB-Serial adapters, all have of which have
worked. It should be noted that these usually use COM4 as opposed to
the normal serial port of COM1.

If it proves to be a problem downloading the logs, you might consider
the purchase of an iPaq. You can use it to download logs from your
logger to a memory card in the iPaq. If you bring a card reader ($20)
to the contest, you can hand in your logs on the memory card. For the
LX7000, flyWithCE Downloader would be the appropriate program. I know
Cambridge has a program too, maybe Paul Remde could tell you where you
can find this.

You might check the Dell refurbished units. My family has bought 4 of
these over the past few years with no problems. These are computers
that were sent back to the factory, either as returns, or having a
small problem that was fixed. They usually retail for about 60-70% of
the normal cost.

If you like the 3D features of SeeYou you will want to consider a good
3D card. I skimped on this because I don't play games, but I'm
regretting it now with SeeYou. You will also want at least 512mb of
RAM.

I really don't know the specifics of screens, but I have a Dell
Inspiron 5150 that can be changed from CRT to LCD mode on they
keyboard. One works better than the other in the sun (quite a bit),
but don't ask me which one it is. I think most dells have this
feature.

Kevin Christner
Sailplane Navigation Solutions

Old May 24th 04, 03:05 AM
Fred Mueller

I'm also looking to replace my aging (falling apart) laptop with a
used laptop.

www.dellauction.com

Appears that these are laptops returned off lease. Most of them are a
couple years old, still have warranty and will happily do all the
glider stuff needed except they probably won't do the 3D mode in
SeeYou.

Most of these laptops seem to be going for $300-$500

Old May 24th 04, 04:56 AM
Eric Greenwell

Fred Mueller wrote:
I'm also looking to replace my aging (falling apart) laptop with a
used laptop.

www.dellauction.com

Appears that these are laptops returned off lease. Most of them are a
couple years old, still have warranty and will happily do all the
glider stuff needed except they probably won't do the 3D mode in
SeeYou.

Most of these laptops seem to be going for $300-$500

I suspect they'd all do the 3d mode just fine, based on the fact my 4
year old Dell desktop (650 mhz, 256mb memory, Nvidia display) handles
the 3 D mode just fine. My 2 year old Toshiba laptop (1 ghz, 256mb
memory, Intel graphics controller) also handles the 3D mode perfectly
and more quickly. My 8 year old Toshiba (100 mhz, 40 mb memory) also ran
earlier versions of Seeyou (whatever version was current in Sept 2002,
when I stopped using the laptop) well, but I don't remember if the 3D
version was out then.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 24th 04, 06:10 PM
Fred Mueller

3D is very dependent on the video card. I have a P3 700mhz laptop
that won't even think about 3D.

My recommendation for a budget laptop for soaring is based on my own
perspective which won't fit all sizes.

I fly in a few contests so I want a laptop primarily for the days
where we use pilot selected turnpoints. Before I turn in my
scorecard, I want to be able to verify that I've made all the
turnpoints that I've claimed and that I've claimed all the turnpoints
that I've made. The 2D mode is more than adequate for post flight
analysis and self flagellation.

FM

Old May 25th 04, 12:09 AM
Stephen Haley

One word of caution re used laptops.
The Battery packs in laptops have a finite life (anything from 1 to 5yrs) on
average. They can be horrendously expensive to replace. My compaq failed
recently (2yrs) and the list price of a new pack in the UK was $200+. I
eventually bought some new LIon batts from malaysia for $30 and soldered
them into the old pack. Before you buy a used lappie ask how old it is and
if the batt pack has been replaced. Most have dates on them so its easy to
check but if the answer is 3yrs+ I would budget for a new pack in the price.
rgds

om...

Old May 25th 04, 02:52 AM
Eric Greenwell

Stephen Haley wrote:
One word of caution re used laptops.
The Battery packs in laptops have a finite life (anything from 1 to 5yrs) on
average. They can be horrendously expensive to replace. My compaq failed
recently (2yrs) and the list price of a new pack in the UK was $200+. I
eventually bought some new LIon batts from malaysia for $30 and soldered
them into the old pack. Before you buy a used lappie ask how old it is and
if the batt pack has been replaced. Most have dates on them so its easy to
check but if the answer is 3yrs+ I would budget for a new pack in the price.

Good advice, but be alerted prices vary quite a bit. I paid US$90 for a
new battery pack for my 2 year old Toshiba laptop FROM Toshiba! Cheaper
than the other "no name" vendors. Toshiba offers returned/refurbished
laptops like Dell does, and HP probably also.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old May 25th 04, 06:39 AM
Kirk Stant

Here is a cheaper solution to the problem of a dead laptop battery:
Get a power converter that you plug into your car's 12V power outlet.
That, and a short extension cord: Drive up to your glider, hook it
all up, and never worry about a dead laptop battery. You always have
your tow vehicle with you anyway, so why not use it's battery?

My setup? A free Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT (I just asked around and
a friend handed it to me - dead battery, too slow, no longer useful at
his place of business) running Win98, and $40 for the power converter
at CompUSA. Runs SeeYou just fine (3D is a bit slow), talks to my
SN10 and GR1000 logger in a DOS window, has a real serial port, and if
it breaks I just use my other laptop until I can find another cheap
replacement.

66