An example of why all pilots should use checklists...

Old November 28th 18, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default An example of why all pilots should use checklists...

I am sure everyone has seen this in the last few days......hang glider with passenger not connected!

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...-attach-him-to

Glad it was a happy ending.

PS, a search online for "Swiss misshap" brings up lots of hits
Old November 28th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marton K-Sz

I'm sure that hangglider pilots use checklists too (a flow-type memorized checklist is a valid checklist, just as a written one). I believe he used the wrong one (the no-passenger "solo" memorized checklist) in this case.
I would be more curious about the circumstances (e.g. rush before takeoff, stress factors, tandem-flying experience of the pilot in this particular case, why didn't he ask someone to check the passenger's gear, etc..) that make pilots fail executing the checklists (even the written ones) or to use the wrong one.
Old November 29th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 1:31:29 PM UTC-5, Marton K-Sz wrote:
I'm sure that hangglider pilots use checklists too (a flow-type memorized checklist is a valid checklist, just as a written one). I believe he used the wrong one (the no-passenger "solo" memorized checklist) in this case.
I would be more curious about the circumstances (e.g. rush before takeoff, stress factors, tandem-flying experience of the pilot in this particular case, why didn't he ask someone to check the passenger's gear, etc..) that make pilots fail executing the checklists (even the written ones) or to use the wrong one.

From the HG group discussions, I understand that his wife had just launched tandem with another pilot. Perhaps the mishap HG pilot was focused on getting in the air alongside his passenger's wife and rushed through the hang check and launch sequence?

Unhooked tandem passenger in Canada a couple of years ago did not fair as well :-(.

Danny Brotto

Old November 29th 18, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I was flying hang gliders, we would do a "hang check" as the last item before launch. It was considered the most important "checklist" item.
They obviously skipped that part.

It is usually fatal to launch unhooked.
Old November 30th 18, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Just like many similar incidents of forgetting things, I bet he used a checklist but something distracted him at a critical point and he missed a crucial item. Forgetting to hook in normally happen when someone unhook from some reason after this step was checked, and forget to hook in again. When I watched first time
I was sure he will attemp a top landing near the houses or in the trees. The part in the article where he was lifted by the wind when attempting to land early is obviously nonesense. He choose to continue to the bottom from whatever reason.

Ramy

Checklists Bill D Soaring 0 August 22nd 11 06:01 PM
checklists Private Piloting 5 February 6th 08 01:48 PM
Pre-Lunch checklists 01-- Zero One Soaring 9 January 28th 06 11:38 PM
maintenance checklists tony roberts Owning 2 January 25th 05 11:59 PM
Where to buy MU-2 Checklists and books? Rob C. Owning 3 March 15th 04 02:08 AM