At least some Saudi papers aren't patently anti US & pro "badguys"

Old December 20th 03, 09:29 AM
John Keeney

Default At least some Saudi papers aren't patently anti US & pro "badguys"

The Middle East Media Research Institute excerpts a column in
the Saudi daily Arab News by Dr. Muhammad Al-Rasheed.
http://www.memri.org/bin/latestnews.cgi?ID=SD63103

"Beware the march of history or the ides of March, whichever appeals to you.
Those who have eyes and ears will learn from the demise of Saddam Hussein
and the pathetic pictures shown to the world. Gone are the palaces, the
swagger, the mindless ruthlessness, the endless resources of money and men.
Nothing is left but a shabby old man, who is now as pathetic as his rise and
fall had been tragic and murderous.

"Dictators and murderers are a breed apart. The lucky ones die in office.
The majority live to suffer the humiliation and anger of their victims and
those who survived them. Count with me and fill in the blanks as you wish:
The Shah, Bokassa, Idi Amin, Ceausescu, Sese Seko of Zaire, Hitler,
Mussolini, the Soviet apparatus, and last but not least, Saddam, the son of
Hussein. The most notable of this lot were the most courageous: Nero and
Hitler. At least Nero had the courage to fall on his sword and lament that
Rome was losing a 'great artist.' I wonder who is next.

"The jubilation in Baghdad put the Arab media to shame. America, for this
brief moment at least. is a liberator and not an occupier. I can't help
being smug, since what I saw gave me back some confidence in the possibility
of justice in this world. I had almost lost hope. It took George Bush to
give me that back. I don't agree with him on many things, and while many
Americans share my stand, I'll give the man his due. He will go down in Arab
history as the liberator of Baghdad, even if the whole mission in Iraq comes
to nothing more than this.

". The reality we have to face is the fact that it took Americans to relieve
Baghdad of its dictator. Arab impotence recorded a new low. I might sound
naive but I would like to ask where the 'freedom fighters,' 'the
resistance,' 'the strugglers for the freedom of Iraq' were when that man ran
amok. Having delivered Saddam, the Americans will have to deliver Iraq.
Shouldn't we now be wise enough to give them at least a chance, if not a
real helping hand?

"We started this business of post-September 11th by jousting with the
Americans loudly and virulently. We could not believe that any of our sort
would behave in such barbaric ways. The truth became clearer with time.
Regardless of the reason for the American intervention in Iraq, the end
result couldn't have been happier for the Iraqis or more loaded with hope
for other Arabs.

"Dare we say Carpe Diem and actually seize the day?"

Old December 20th 03, 03:41 PM

"John Keeney" wrote:

"We started this business of post-September 11th by jousting with the
Americans loudly and virulently. We could not believe that any of our sort
would behave in such barbaric ways. The truth became clearer with time.
Regardless of the reason for the American intervention in Iraq, the end
result couldn't have been happier for the Iraqis or more loaded with hope
for other Arabs.

"Dare we say Carpe Diem and actually seize the day?"

....and the good Doctor had it right too IMO.
--

-Gord.
Old December 20th 03, 05:50 PM
Dav1936531

From: "Gord Beaman" )

"John Keeney" wrote:
"Dare we say Carpe Diem and actually seize the day?

...and the good Doctor had it right too IMO.
-Gord.

Whatever the pretextual reasons for going to Iraq (WMD? support for Al-Qaeda?
[not in evidence yet] or monetary support for PLO suicide bombers [fact] ), the
whole endeavor may prove to be THE master stroke of this century.

We MUST stay the course. There is absolutely no alternative. (The policy of
preemption is already paying dividends in the form of Libya's recent
announcement that it will allow inspectors to come in and remove all forms of
its WMD programs.)

The next US Presidential election is more crucial to the future of the Western
world than anyone can now imagine.
Dave