Fuel Dip Tube for Hershey-bar Wing Cherokees?

Old May 2nd 04, 02:47 AM
Bob Chilcoat

Default Fuel Dip Tube for Hershey-bar Wing Cherokees?

I posted this question in the "Fuel dip tube for Piper Warrior?" thread, but
it seems to have gotten lost. Does anyone have dip tube data for the
straight-wing PA-28's, or are the fuel tanks the same as the taper-wing
versions? Thanks.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney to love America

Old May 2nd 04, 09:59 PM
John Kunkel

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
I posted this question in the "Fuel dip tube for Piper Warrior?" thread,

but
it seems to have gotten lost. Does anyone have dip tube data for the
straight-wing PA-28's, or are the fuel tanks the same as the taper-wing
versions? Thanks.

Pasted from the original thread:

Here's the data I used to make my dipstick (wood paint stirring stick) for
24 gallon tanks:

4= 0"
5= 1"
10= 2 1/4"
15= 4"
20= 5 3/4"
24= 7 1/4"

I use a smooth wooden dowel abut 1/4" diameter and fitted a soft
elastic tube over the the end to stop any chance of damaging the tank.
The top has a small string loop to ensure it's not dropped into the
tank (one of our group had the pleasure of removing and refitting a
tank after dropping a calibrated tube inside!). Calibration is with a
fine 'permanent' marker pen. Occasionally it needs re-marking but
works well.

Both tanks were calibrated by adding fuel, in increments, to our
PA28-161, Warrior II. There was a slight discrepancy between tanks but
not sufficient to cause any serious errors.

It's nice to see some similarity with the poster above. I use the
following which is from fuel added, measured then interpolated from
calibration in litres. It is not on a linear scale. Dipped with stick
approx. in middle of filler hole and on level ground:

Inches USG
============
8.0 24.7
7.0 23.5
6.0 21.8
5.0 19.4
TAB 17.5
4.0 16.6
3.0 13.3
2.0 9.3
1.0 6.3
0.0 4.3

Old May 3rd 04, 01:57 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Thanks, but I'd already seen that. My concern was that the tanks on
straight-wing Cherokees might have a different x-section. Cory Pappenfuss
replied on the other thread that the tanks are probably the same. I will
ask our A&P if the tanks use the same part number. That would clinch it.

Old May 3rd 04, 10:29 PM
Sandy Mustard

My parts catalog only covers the straight wings up to 1973. The models
of PA-28-140, 160, 180, 235 and PA-28R-180, 200 all use the same part
numbers for their fuel tanks. P/N 63998-16 for the left and 63998-17
for the right.

Sandy Mustard

fuel tank plumbing pwm Home Built 18 January 27th 05 04:54 AM
Fuel dip tube for Piper Warrior? TTA Cherokee Driver Owning 16 May 3rd 04 05:42 PM
Canard planes swept wing outer VG's? Paul Lee Home Built 8 January 4th 04 08:10 PM
Yo! Fuel Tank! Veeduber Home Built 15 October 25th 03 02:57 AM
Hot weather and autogas? Rich S. Home Built 33 July 30th 03 11:25 PM