C-172 versus Sundowner - Redux

Old October 26th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default C-172 versus Sundowner - Redux

Previously on my quest for an airplane...

I passed on the Sundowner because of the recent and extensive damage
history.

In September I found a 79 Tiger with recent paint and interior, decent
avionics, about 2400 TT and 350 SMOH.

There was damage history from a bird strike, but this was almost 20
years ago, so this time it was a don't care.

So I've spent the last month getting the airplane into what I concider
airworthy condition as opposed to what the previous owner thought that
means.

Little stuff, like one spare fuse of one value as opposed to 3 of 3
values, replacing all missing screws, a flaky cigarette lighter outlet
that drove my GPS ape****, replacing burnt out panel lights, etc.

Granted, there were some things wrong found in pre-buy, but the price
was adjusted accordingly (tire shot, brakes shot and some other stuff)
and as the annual was about due, I opted to immediately annual the
airplane and didn't have to pay to have the things done in pre-buy
reinspected such as another compression check and AD compliance check.

So far, my flights have consisted of the insurance required CFI check
out and local flights to get used to the airplane.

Now that I have all the little stuff under control, as soon as the
weather allows, a cross country to see if the cruise is what the
book says.

Oh, someone else bought the Sundowner. It appears to have taken up
semi-permanent residence at the local avionics shop.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old October 26th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dan Luke

wrote:

in stubborn cases, two Universal Replacement fuses can be used in parallel.

I find that a piece of quarter-inch copper tubing cut to length will hold any
load.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old October 26th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

in stubborn cases, two Universal Replacement fuses can be used in
parallel.

I find that a piece of quarter-inch copper tubing cut to length will hold
any load.

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

You don't have any rounds for your .22 rolling around under the seat?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com