buying help

Old August 12th 05, 09:04 PM
John Doe

Default buying help

Hello,

I in the market for a six seater.

Could somone please help me out with a cost analysis of a single engine 6
seater vs a twin.

I would like something on the faster end of the group. Some of the models
I've looked at are chugging along at 150kts or so. I'm looking for
something closer to 190kts if possible.

Thanks,

Old August 12th 05, 09:11 PM
Darrel Toepfer

John Doe wrote:

Hello,

I in the market for a six seater.

Could somone please help me out with a cost analysis of a single engine 6
seater vs a twin.

I would like something on the faster end of the group. Some of the models
I've looked at are chugging along at 150kts or so. I'm looking for
something closer to 190kts if possible.

Plane & Pilot just did a review on the Saratoga. Full fuel gave +500
pounds useful. If I remember right that included the deicing system.
What a waste of money on a 6 seat, 180 knot plane...
Old August 12th 05, 09:21 PM
Jim Burns

If you want to burn the fuel, an Aztec will true 180 knots. Figure a cost
of about $200 per hour, or 3 times the fuel burn times the fuel price. Our
current price is $2.96, so 25gph x 3 x $2.96 = $222. We've found that to be
about 10% high, so far.
Jim

Old August 13th 05, 02:48 AM
Darrel Toepfer

BTIZ wrote:

might be 500# useful.. but to fill the seats of a "Lance".. watch the aft CG

Well the Saratoga has an upfront luggage compartment to assist with that...
Old August 13th 05, 04:32 AM
George Patterson

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Plane & Pilot just did a review on the Saratoga. Full fuel gave +500
pounds useful. If I remember right that included the deicing system.
What a waste of money on a 6 seat, 180 knot plane...

What's the useful load with 3.5 hours' fuel in the tanks?

George Patterson
Old August 13th 05, 05:09 AM
Darrel Toepfer

George Patterson wrote:
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

Plane & Pilot just did a review on the Saratoga. Full fuel gave +500
pounds useful. If I remember right that included the deicing system.
What a waste of money on a 6 seat, 180 knot plane...

What's the useful load with 3.5 hours' fuel in the tanks?

I quoted wrong, full tanks yields 411 pounds useful inside the cabin,
537 lbs total (front baggage? 100# max)...

Full tanks is 102 gallons. TKS deice fluid weighs 9.2 lbs. per gallon
and carries 4.4 gallons. 75% power consumption is 16.1 gph @ 175 knots @
10k ft... 3600# gross, empty weight is 2466#, useful load 1149#. Max
ramp weight is 3615#..

So something around 3 people and not much...

The author mentions a ferry flight to down under at 25% over gross,
4500# total weight... 650 fpm climb out...

Old August 13th 05, 05:23 AM
Edward Todd

In article ,
Darrel Toepfer wrote:

BTIZ wrote:

might be 500# useful.. but to fill the seats of a "Lance".. watch the aft CG

Well the Saratoga has an upfront luggage compartment to assist with that..

So ... all you need is 6 people that weigh 75 lbs each . And each
carrying one small 5 pound suitcase with them.

..
Old August 13th 05, 05:38 AM
George Patterson

Darrel Toepfer wrote:

I quoted wrong, full tanks yields 411 pounds useful inside the cabin,
537 lbs total (front baggage? 100# max)...

So. Using the figures you provided, you can put 60 gallons in the tanks and do 3
hour legs with nearly 45 minutes reserve and carry 663 pounds in the cabin (789
max). That's a little better, but not much. Leave the de-ice tanks empty, and
you get another 40 pounds. That finally gets you up to 4 FAA adults.

George Patterson

Fun weekend buying an Arrow (long) Jack Allison Owning 44 April 20th 05 12:29 PM
Tips on buying a cessna 182 Matteucci Aviation Marketplace 4 September 15th 04 08:42 AM
Advice on buying a 152? rajek Owning 27 June 21st 04 08:09 PM
Information on buying an aircraft Marco L Piloting 6 August 20th 03 08:58 AM
Buying my first plane Gilles Leblanc Piloting 7 July 29th 03 05:21 AM