Near miss from space junk.

Old April 4th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Default Near miss from space junk.

Maxwell writes:

Does it really matter if he has no desire to exceed it?

How can he know if he desires to exceed something if he doesn't know what it
is?

It's been so long since my written, there is a lot about my requirements and
privileges I'm not certain of, and a lot of things have changed. I know I am
within my limitiations flying in my desires areas, operaitons, and know I
would need to do a little refreshing if I ever plan to exceed them. But what
the heck.

Yes ... why stay current?

Old April 4th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

chris writes:

Using a VOR is not part of what we learn for PPL instrument flying.

Then PPLs don't know how to fly by instruments.

Old April 4th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

chris writes:

Whenever I fly on instruments on a sim it seems different to when I
did it for my license - the aircraft just continually seems to be
moving left or right or whatever, which meant a moment looking away
from my scan and when you look back the damn thing seems to be leaning
over... I had so much trouble just keeping it upright without getting
the leans that I imagine several years and no practise later I would
have even more trouble.

I had the same thing happen in the sim today; you just have to keep your eye
on the instruments. If there's nothing to see outside the window, there's no
reason _not_ to keep your eye on the instruments.

If you lose visual reference it's damn easy to get the leans, as I
found out when I did my PPL IF training

Leans or not, your instruments will tell you if you are in level flight.
Perhaps animals cannot ignore their intincts, but people can.

Back the way you came.. When flying near bad weather I keep looking
back to make sure my escape route is still open...

And what if it's not? What then?

Bad visibility doesn't always flow in from somewhere else. Sometimes it forms
right on the spot.

Well, as I understand it, the IMC that refers to is the rising terrain
and lowering cloud base, or an approaching line of crap.. Which looks
like a grey curtain stretching across the horizon.. If you can't
escape you can set down in a field before it nails you

What if you can't see the field?

Old April 4th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Apr 4, 11:48 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
chris writes:
Using a VOR is not part of what we learn for PPL instrument flying.

Then PPLs don't know how to fly by instruments.

We don't have the level of training of IFR rated pilots, that's for
sure!

We can stay wings level, turn, and climb.

That is flying on instruments in my book!

PPL instrument flying is designed to keep you upright while you get
the hell out of the crap you've just flown into. I don't need VOR to
do that.

Old April 4th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Who would install $2 million of avionics on
a $90,000 aircraft?

God forbid you spend the 30 seconds required to lookup the price of a
TCAS system and save yourself from making such an embarrassingly
pointless question.

Old April 4th 07, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Apr 4, 11:51 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
chris writes:
Whenever I fly on instruments on a sim it seems different to when I
did it for my license - the aircraft just continually seems to be
moving left or right or whatever, which meant a moment looking away
from my scan and when you look back the damn thing seems to be leaning
over... I had so much trouble just keeping it upright without getting
the leans that I imagine several years and no practise later I would
have even more trouble.

I had the same thing happen in the sim today; you just have to keep your eye
on the instruments. If there's nothing to see outside the window, there's no
reason _not_ to keep your eye on the instruments.

You just said I was to read my charts. That's not looking at the
instruments! Someone like me who has done the license requirements
and nothing since would probably have nothing but trouble if I took my
eyes off the instruments.

If you lose visual reference it's damn easy to get the leans, as I
found out when I did my PPL IF training

Leans or not, your instruments will tell you if you are in level flight.
Perhaps animals cannot ignore their intincts, but people can.

Comes down to training and practise. I have a little of the first and
not much of the second.

Back the way you came.. When flying near bad weather I keep looking
back to make sure my escape route is still open...

And what if it's not? What then?

You keep an eye on the escape route and if it starts to close in you
get the hell out of there..

Bad visibility doesn't always flow in from somewhere else. Sometimes it forms
right on the spot.

Well, as I understand it, the IMC that refers to is the rising terrain
and lowering cloud base, or an approaching line of crap.. Which looks
like a grey curtain stretching across the horizon.. If you can't
escape you can set down in a field before it nails you

What if you can't see the field?

If you are beneath lowering cloud base you are still visual, you just
can't proceed any further. If you see the **** approaching like a
grey curtain, you also have time to do something about it. You don't
just press on, fat dumb and happy, and fly into the ****.

Old April 4th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Mxsmanic wrote:

I had the same thing happen in the sim today; you just have to keep your
eye
on the instruments. If there's nothing to see outside the window, there's
no reason _not_ to keep your eye on the instruments.

there are a number of things in an aircraft under IFR that might take
your attention away from the instruments and which are not confined within
a screen right in front of your eyes; in no particular order: checking
the outside temp and looking whether you are getting ice; I know you
read the forecast, but there are always surprises; dealing
with the passager who has just barfed into your charts; changing
frequencies; looking for clean charts and/or reading them; remember,
no 'pause' button; going through check lists; occasionally talking
to a real live person on the other side of the radio who gave
you a complicated clearance that is only superficially related to
what you asked, etc.

--Sylvain
Old April 4th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

EridanMan writes:

Who would install $2 million of avionics on
a $90,000 aircraft?

God forbid you spend the 30 seconds required to lookup the price of a
TCAS system and save yourself from making such an embarrassingly
pointless question.

I didn't say anything about the cost of a TCAS system.

Old April 4th 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
chris writes:

Using a VOR is not part of what we learn for PPL instrument flying.

Then PPLs don't know how to fly by instruments.

Clueless as usual.

Old April 4th 07, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
chris writes:

[...]

When was the last time you experienced vertigo while flying your desk?
You are HOPELESSLY clueless.

Why Screeners Miss Guns and Knives (and why pilots miss planes and airports) cjcampbell Piloting 2 January 3rd 06 04:24 AM
Junk Yards NVArt Home Built 5 July 13th 05 07:35 PM
FS Aviation Junk Jim Aviation Marketplace 1 February 11th 05 10:57 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Doug Carter Instrument Flight Rules 9 July 11th 03 01:38 PM
Space Junk & GPS Reliability Dan R Piloting 7 July 11th 03 01:38 PM