what is that noise?

Old July 22nd 19, 11:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gregv

Default what is that noise?

Hello, I fly a 1979 Nimbus 2 carbon, and since a few years I hear a cracking noise behind me. That noise occurs more often after a few hours of flight, maybe related to temperature change with altitude. You can hear the cracking noise in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pke-...ature=youtu.be

Did you already hear that noise? how do you think I can fix this ? do you think it is dangerous?

Thank you for help and advice
Old July 22nd 19, 12:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It may be as simple as your fiberglass seat back rubbing against some part of the fuselage interior. Can you duplicate the sound while sitting in the cockpit on the ground?
Old July 22nd 19, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gregv

Le lundi 22 juillet 2019 13:22:57 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
It may be as simple as your fiberglass seat back rubbing against some part of the fuselage interior. Can you duplicate the sound while sitting in the cockpit on the ground?

I don't think it is the seat back, no sound while sittin in the cockpit on the ground. Maybe I will try with somebody else moving /shaking the wingtip while sitting on the ground to check if I can hear that noise...
Old July 22nd 19, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Another possible source of the noise might be the wing spars rubbing against each other. My Pegase made that sound, and then just to try to isolate it, I put a very light coat of cooking oil on any part of the spar that looked like it had been rubbed. Creaking noise was gone immediately, so I quit worrying about it.
Old July 22nd 19, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

Sounds like the wings are about to come off.

Kidding, I would be looking for signs of rubbing anywhere. Canopy is always a good place to start as they expand and contract the most.
Spars are a possibility.
Seat back.
After that the options become less. Good luck hunting

Old July 22nd 19, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 10:39 22 July 2019, gregv wrote:
Hello, I fly a 1979 Nimbus 2 carbon, and since a few years I hear a
cracking noise behind me. That noise occurs more often after a few

hours of
flight, maybe related to temperature change with altitude. You can

hear the
cracking noise in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pke-...ature=youtu.be

Did you already hear that noise? how do you think I can fix this ? do

you
think it is dangerous?

Thank you for help and advice

Possible rubbing of the canopy frame? The plastic canopy will
shrink when the temperature falls after flying for a while, especially
at higher altitudes in the mountains. You may only be able to
replicate the noise on the ground in cooler temperatures.

RO

Old July 22nd 19, 03:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Likely the canopy or spar. Clean the canopy rail and the area where it touches on the fuselage. A light coat of wax or a very thin open cell foam seal may help on the canopy. Check the spar for rubbing and wax any possibility areas.
Old July 22nd 19, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gregv

Le lundi 22 juillet 2019 16:07:24 UTC+2, Tim Taylor a écritÂ*:
Likely the canopy or spar. Clean the canopy rail and the area where it touches on the fuselage. A light coat of wax or a very thin open cell foam seal may help on the canopy. Check the spar for rubbing and wax any possibility areas.

ok thanks, I think it is spar related, I will wax and check for rubbing
Old July 22nd 19, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 4:01:58 PM UTC+1, gregv wrote:
Le lundi 22 juillet 2019 16:07:24 UTC+2, Tim Taylor a écritÂ*:
Likely the canopy or spar. Clean the canopy rail and the area where it touches on the fuselage. A light coat of wax or a very thin open cell foam seal may help on the canopy. Check the spar for rubbing and wax any possibility areas.

ok thanks, I think it is spar related, I will wax and check for rubbing

I used to have a Nimbus 2c. It was a long time ago but I still remember what I think is the same cracking sound you are describing. Quite loud and sharp. It never bothered me. Like you I thought it came from the spar stub area when there was a bit of turbulence.
Old July 22nd 19, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 6:39:11 AM UTC-4, gregv wrote:
Hello, I fly a 1979 Nimbus 2 carbon, and since a few years I hear a cracking noise behind me.

Count your blessings. I have a howling banshee in my tail boom.

FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets Jim Macklin Piloting 26 January 13th 07 01:06 AM
FAA paper Noise Attenuation Properties of Noise-Canceling Headsets Jim Macklin Instrument Flight Rules 15 January 13th 07 01:06 AM
Prop noise vs. engine noise Morgans Piloting 8 December 24th 03 04:24 AM
noise G.A. Seguin Soaring 2 August 27th 03 01:57 AM
Com noise Hankal Piloting 0 July 21st 03 12:54 AM