Pilot Parachute Rig For Sale

Old August 24th 03, 12:21 AM
Michael Pilla

"pac plyer" wrote in message
om...

My disability unfortunately stopped me from becoming a pilot
dead in my tracks, but it has not stopped me from time to time
sitting in the right seat and getting some stick time.

Way to go Bernie. If it's your dream to fly, you'll find a way. I
have a neighbor down the street who is wheelchair bound. He owns a
C-150 and flys. He had it converted for no-leg operation. He has a
wavier on his medical. If you want I'll get his name for you. Not
sure what the regs are for you in Canada, maybe you could become a
Canadian wetback every now and then, just for flying purposes.
(sorry, there's another strike against my character :-) But nothing
on this earth comes close to soloing an airplane. Not even sex (yes,
I know, I know, I must be doing it wrong ;-)

My thing is primarily a back thing, and I am facing some very dicey
surgery with uncertain outcome. I'm in bad pain every day, but that's
what wiskey is for right? So I'm stalling until I learn more. Doesn't
sound like my probs are comparible with yours. But keep your chin up.
Chris Reves is pushing hard for funding for regenerative (if that
helps.)

Best of luck to you Bernie,

pac "sorta cripple" plyer

I used to instruct for Freedom Wings - group of disabled folks who wanted to
learn to fly gliders.

We had a specially modified glider with a left-hand control that connected
to the left rudder pedal. The pedals were already inter-connected so that
pushing on the control initiated left rudder and pulling on the control
initiated right rudder. This control was right below the conventional
spoiler/wheel brake control. We did have to modify the spoiler control to
provide a detent block to lock in 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 spoilers.

The students got the hang of it and we were able to get many folks through
the PPL check ride. One of the enterprising chaps received his CFI-G
rating. The student would select the proper amount of spoiler and then fly
the rudder with the left hand. Only when finally on the ground would they
shift their hand to the spoiler to pull full spoiler/brake.

The oddest part was that I could instruct disabled pilots how to fly using
hand controls for rudders, but I was not allowed to fly that way myself.
The FAA insisted on that and used to check our operation from time to time.
I always thought that was a curious way to look at instructing, flying, etc.

I have to admit that these glider folks made better approaches since they
basically had to determine the proper spoiler amount and not pump the handle
as so many able-bodied pilots tend to do. Very smooth, good sight picture
reading, etc. Always a pleasure to fly with them.

Michael Pilla