Calling from a cell phone when airborne

Old June 15th 04, 10:44 PM
Elwood Dowd

Thanks for the note. I spent about $100 for a dingus that connects the
cell to an intercom, it sounds like this works just as well for about
$75 less!

(Legal wrangling aside, of course... I'm sure you only call using 1.9GHz
frequencies anyway)

Mike Noel wrote:
Just thought I would pass this experience along to the group:

I had been able to accomplish this a couple of times by throttling back to
about 2000 RPM and slipping off my headphones. This weekend I discovered
that the reception and transmission is quite good if you use a hands free
headset with a dangling microphone. With the ear bud in your ear and the
microphone inside the ear cup, the sidetone drives the phone's mike just
fine.

Old June 16th 04, 12:35 AM
Mike Noel

Default Calling from a cell phone when airborne

--
Regards,
Mike

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/amountainaero/fspic1.html

Old June 16th 04, 02:11 AM
EDR

The LightSpeed 30-3G has a built-in jack to plug the cellphone
interconnect cord into.
Old June 16th 04, 04:25 AM
Dave S

I bought that 100 dollar dingus a year ago and it works great.. it also
doesnt involve having to remove your headset to USE the HF cell
speaker/mike. Using that 100 dollar dingus also allows me to use the ANR
feature of my headset to overcome airplane noise.. I also can use that
dingus to (so ive been told) record intercom traffic on tape/dvr/videocam.

And.. to address legalities.. I've been told the letter of the law
applies to airborne use of ANALOG cellular phones? Does anyone know
specific chapter and verse of the FCC regs that spell this out, and does
it INCLUDE or EXCLUDE digital/later generation phones such as PCS which
do not confuse/saturate the cell towers when they are used up at altitude

Dave

Old June 16th 04, 07:47 AM
Steve

The FCC regs apply to "Cellular Telephones". The description of cellphones
in the licensing rules don't include the frequency bands or the modes of
operation that digital phones use. So, technically, digital phones are not
"cellphones", though marketing types call them cell phones to keep the
average consumer from getting confused.

Steve

nk.net...

Old June 16th 04, 11:08 AM
Thomas Borchert

Edr,

The LightSpeed 30-3G has a built-in jack to plug the cellphone
interconnect cord into.

In fact, all new Lightspeed models have that now.

Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 16th 04, 02:34 PM
Peter MacPherson

What is the Dingus? I've heard of Cellset to connect your cell phone to
your headset, but not Dingus.

Pete

nk.net...

Old June 16th 04, 03:21 PM
Brian Cox

And.. to address legalities.. I've been told the letter of the law
applies to airborne use of ANALOG cellular phones? Does anyone know
specific chapter and verse of the FCC regs that spell this out, and does
it INCLUDE or EXCLUDE digital/later generation phones such as PCS which
do not confuse/saturate the cell towers when they are used up at altitude

Dave

47 CFR Part 22.925. This covers the cellular band of 824-894 MHz.
Does not call out the modulation or whether digital or analog.
Old June 16th 04, 04:44 PM
Elwood Dowd

47 CFR Part 22.925. This covers the cellular band of 824-894 MHz.
Does not call out the modulation or whether digital or analog.

That's the one, and there's the rub. Most (all?) of the carriers use
digital signals on 800MHz cells. Some (most?) can also use a newer
1.9GHz network. You have to know what kind of phone you have, and what
network it is using at a given time.

My Verizon phone displayes "1X" when it is in a 1.9GHz network, and is
therefore legal to use in the aircraft. It says "D" when in a standard
digital network and "A" in an analog network, neither of which is legal.

The 1.9GHz cells don't tend to broadcast or receive at extreme
angles---they are often unusable in the air above about 3000AGL. Also,
at 140kt, it's pretty easy to go from one network to another quickly, so
I normally only attempt to use it below 3000 and either in populated
areas or along interstate highways.

Of course none of this counts the numerous times I have left the damn
thing on and discovered it at 10k feet. I have yet to be pulled over by
the cell phone cops, or hear of anyone who has, so I wouldn't be too
concerned in any case.