flying weather Santa Fe April-May

Old March 1st 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Default flying weather Santa Fe April-May

Planning a trip from Georgia to NM in Mid to late April,
maybe early May. I'd appreciate hearing any comments on
what the weather is typically like out there that time of
the year.
Old March 2nd 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

kontiki wrote:
Planning a trip from Georgia to NM in Mid to late April,
maybe early May. I'd appreciate hearing any comments on
what the weather is typically like out there that time of
the year.

Gorgeous. Just remember start leaning the engine west of Amarillo.
If you and/or the aircraft is not used to altitude, make sure
TAFOY is a waypoint. Then it's just NW over the SAF VOR,
over the prison (don't mistake the prison towers for SAF control
tower - I've done that!) and there you are.

What are you going to be flying?
Old March 2nd 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"kontiki" wrote in message
Planning a trip from Georgia to NM in Mid to late April,
maybe early May. I'd appreciate hearing any comments on
what the weather is typically like out there that time of
the year.

Variable. (Old Adage pertaining to weather out west: If you don't like the
weather, hang around a few minutes)

Old March 2nd 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki

Blanche wrote:

Gorgeous. Just remember start leaning the engine west of Amarillo.
If you and/or the aircraft is not used to altitude, make sure
TAFOY is a waypoint. Then it's just NW over the SAF VOR,
over the prison (don't mistake the prison towers for SAF control
tower - I've done that!) and there you are.

What are you going to be flying?

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind. I'm flying a PA24-250
and mostly used to low country flying, although I fly up to Asheville
once in a while.
Old March 2nd 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon[_3_]

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Variable. (Old Adage pertaining to weather out west: If you don't like the
weather, hang around a few minutes)

Is it really? I've always thought NM weather was similar to AZ weather and
its abundance of dry VMC. But what do I know as a Northeasterner...

Marco

Old March 4th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Variable. (Old Adage pertaining to weather out west: If you don't like
the weather, hang around a few minutes)

Is it really? I've always thought NM weather was similar to AZ weather and
its abundance of dry VMC. But what do I know as a Northeasterner...

It can be 80 degrees and sunny, and a day later, 16" of snow.

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC

Old March 4th 07, 09:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_3_]

"Marco Leon" wrote in message
"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Variable. (Old Adage pertaining to weather out west: If you don't like
the weather, hang around a few minutes)

Is it really? I've always thought NM weather was similar to AZ weather
and its abundance of dry VMC. But what do I know as a Northeasterner...

It can be 80 degrees and sunny, and a day later, 16" of snow.

I should add that NM weather is more like Colorado weather than like
Arizona, particularly Santa Fe.

I recall several times of golfing one afternoon, then having a blizzard that
night dumping 8-12 inches of snow. One in particular was golfing on St.
Patty's day. It was mid to upper 70's. About the 16th hole, it started to
get cold. By the 18th it had dropped to about the 40's. That night we got
something like 12-14 inches of snow.

Back about the mid 80's, the company I was working for in Denver had a
company golf tournament scheduled in mid-September for a Saturday. The
Friday (eight days) before the tournament, we had about 12-14 inches of
snow. I have a picture of our patio and a Weber Kettle on the patio buried
up past the base of the kettle. A Bruce Springsteen concert at Mile High
Stadium was cancelled.

By the following Saturday, every last speck of snow was gone, the course was
dry, and I came in second of the long drive contest with a 331 yard poke
right down the center of the fairway. I got beat by about five yards by a
gal who was playing from the women's tees at 440 yards vs. the 550 yards the
guys were playing. :~(

--
Matt Barrow
Performance Homes, LLC