Schweitzer Sailplanes: Still In Business ?

Old April 27th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert11[_2_]

Default Schweitzer Sailplanes: Still In Business ?

Hi,

Just curious.

Does Scweitzer still make sailplanes anymore ?

Thanks,
B.
Old April 27th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

"Robert11" wrote:
Does Scweitzer still make sailplanes anymore ?

I don't think so. Their web site:

http://www.sacusa.com/

They were bought by Sikorsky and this is what Wikipedia has to say:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_Aircraft
Old April 27th 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Ash

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Just curious.

Does Scweitzer still make sailplanes anymore ?

Alas no. Their last sailplane design was the SGS 1-36, which ceased
production sometime in the early 80s. The way I hear it told, when it
became obvious that fiberglass was the material of the future for
sailplane design and metal simply would not be able to keep up, they
decided that they weren't going to be able to make the transition and
left the business. I can't say it was the wrong choice but it's sad just
the same.

The good news is that American sailplane manufacturing is no longer
dead. These folks are making some nice stuff:

http://www.windward-performance.com/

Some really interesting stuff there. Their SparrowHawk has an empty
weight of only 155 pounds, and their DuckHawk has a redline of 200 knots!

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth
Old April 28th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RandyL[_3_]

Such a pity. I learned how to fly in Schweizer sailplanes. Those were the
"good ol' days" for me.

Randy L.

--
Remember: Any landing that you can walk away from,
is a landing that you can be fined, sued, or prosecuted for.

Old April 29th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Les Schweizer has started another company to support the legacy Schweizer
gliders that he and his brothers built.
BT