Looking for a video clip discussed on this group WAY back.

Old January 8th 04, 09:19 AM
Scott Ferrin

Default Looking for a video clip discussed on this group WAY back.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...a.fc.net#link1

There's the link. I'm hoping somebody here has that clip. I checked
the link mentioned in the post that goes to but it's dead. The clip
was of an AIM-47 being launched from a YF-12A. The view is from one
of the cameras on one of the nacelles and what the clip shows is the
missile being ejected from one of the bays in slow motion and they are
WAY the hell up in the sky. I use to have the clip but somewhere
along the way it got deleted.
Old January 8th 04, 05:54 PM
Mark

Here's what you need......

http://mrdata.com/~blakef/mystery-aircraft/

Mark

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...ame=right&th=c
f755d076b7f66f0&seekm=56r2g3%24s45%40villa.fc.net# link1

Old January 8th 04, 06:34 PM
Mark

btw came across some other interesting info wrt this topic.

FWIW the missile in question appears to be an AIM-47A (aka GAR-1) Falcon

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/falim47a.htm

According to this....

http://www.netwrx1.com/skunk-works/v05.n180

Had 12/13 'hits'

Here's more on test firings from YF-12A

http://www.blackbirds.net/sr71/srspec.html

Here's some info on B-58 testing of missile

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher2/b58_8.html

Finally a nice site covering YF-12A

http://www.voodoo.cz/sr71/yf12.html

To include picture of missile and bay...

http://www.voodoo.cz/sr71/o/aim47.jpg

And a video (didn't notice what it was though 3.05MB)

http://www.voodoo.cz/sr71/an/yf12.mpeg

I thought the B-58 stuff was particularly interesting...

Enjoy

Old January 8th 04, 09:22 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:34:24 GMT, "Mark"
wrote:

btw came across some other interesting info wrt this topic.

FWIW the missile in question appears to be an AIM-47A (aka GAR-1) Falcon

Thanks a bunch! I've Googled several times trying to find it again
over the years with no luck. Picture 4 looks like the friggin' thing
was launched from SPACE :-)

It is. I remember emailing the guy telling him that and explaining
the whole thing in detail. (except it's GAR-9)
http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-47.html

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/falim47a.htm

According to this....

http://www.netwrx1.com/skunk-works/v05.n180

Had 12/13 'hits'

It was 6 of 7.

The thing about it as the link above mentions is that they actually
began the research even before the Blackbird came along. It was
originally designed for the F-108. However if you look at early
drawings of the XF-103 (Which the F-108 was designed instead of
because the -103 was too far ahead of it's time) there is a missile
labeled "GAR-X" which is clearly a drawing of an AIM-47. The AIM-47
was an incredible achievement for it's time and would even be
considered so today. In many ways it was better than Phoenix.