Cutting 57mm holes in the instrument panel.....how to?

Old November 12th 10, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack[_2_]

Default Cutting 57mm holes in the instrument panel.....how to?

Here in the states I find it impossible to find metric hole saws.....so,
what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm instruments?

Thanks!

J4

Old November 12th 10, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_2_]

On Nov 11, 7:09*pm, "John Bojack" wrote:
Here in the states I find it impossible to find metric hole saws.....so,
what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm instruments?

Thanks!

J4

I simply bought an adjustable hole saw. I measured it out to
precisely 57mm and cut several holes in scrap material to check and
make sure the saw was set to the right size. As long as I cut soft
material (aluminum, wood, fiberglass... etc) it worked perfectly.

Old November 12th 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Here in the states I find it impossible to find metric hole saws.....so,
what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm instruments?

2 -1/4" holesaw for 57mm, 3-1/8" for 80mm... I have a set I only use
for cutting instrument holes so they stay nice.

-Paul
Old November 12th 10, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 11/11/2010 4:13 PM, Guy Byars wrote:
On Nov 11, 7:09 pm, "John wrote:

Here in the states I find it impossible to find metric hole saws.....so,
what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm instruments?

Thanks!

J4

I simply bought an adjustable hole saw. I measured it out to
precisely 57mm and cut several holes in scrap material to check and
make sure the saw was set to the right size. As long as I cut soft
material (aluminum, wood, fiberglass... etc) it worked perfectly.

Or just use a 2.25" standard USA hole saw. It's only 0.006" bigger than
57 mm, and you'll never notice the difference.

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz

Old November 12th 10, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 11, 4:09*pm, "John Bojack" wrote:
Here in the states I find it impossible to find metric hole saws.....so,
what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm instruments?

Thanks!

J4

John,

Go to

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

Download the 2.25" and 3.25 Instrument hole templates at the bottom of
the page and follow the directions.

A 2.25" hole saw will work fine mark the center hole as in the
directions and us small pilot drills for starter holes then the 2.25"
hole saw then the instrument screw holes.

Make sure and use a punch to get the starter holes exact.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 12th 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cfinn

On Nov 11, 7:09*pm, "John Bojack" wrote:
Here in the states I find it impossible to find metric hole saws.....so,
what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm instruments?

Thanks!

J4

One of the best ways is to use a hole punch. You need a 1 1/4 inch
size. Aircraft Spruce carries them. Here's a link:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../knockout2.php.

Charlie
Old November 12th 10, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

http://www.blotorches.com/
Old November 12th 10, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canav8

On Nov 11, 5:04*pm, cfinn wrote:
On Nov 11, 7:09*pm, "John Bojack" wrote:

Here in the states I find it impossible to find metric hole saws.....so,
what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm instruments?

Thanks!

J4

One of the best ways is to use a hole punch. You need a 1 1/4 inch
size. Aircraft Spruce carries them. Here's a link:http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../knockout2.php.

Charlie

Charlie, I think you meant to type a 2 1/4 inch hole. 57MM equals 2.24
inches. Doug
Old November 12th 10, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alia Kuykendall

On Nov 11, 4:09*pm, "John Bojack" wrote:
...what have others done when cutting new panels for 57mm
instruments?

Sawzall.

Much neater than the chainsaw, but not as cool as a loop of det cord.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old November 12th 10, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Nov 11, 9:39*pm, Alia Kuykendall

Sawzall.

Much neater than the chainsaw, but not as cool as a loop of det cord.

Thanks, Bob K.

Oops, that was my post.

Thanks, Bob K.