Cell phones in gliders - tracking function

Old May 5th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Cell phones in gliders - tracking function

It's probably no surprise to anyone that cell phones can be tracked even
when they are not being used in a call. You can Google "Cell Phone
Tracking" and get enough information for a long evenings reading.

My carrier, Verizon, offers "VZ Navigator" a $10/mo service which enables my
GPS equipped cellphone to automatically send SMS messages with location data
to another cell phone every few minutes. If the receiving phone is equipped
with the same service, the location data is displayed on a moving map. It's
described as a way for parents to keep track of children. The main news
concerns privacy issues but the service can be turned on and off by the
user.

Third party services offer to put location data on the internet so anyone
with access can see the location real-time. It's not hard to imagine
practical uses for locating a glider pilot (or his crew) during and after a
flight. For example, if a pilot enables this service, his crew could track
the flight real-time. It appears that it works anywhere SMS messaging
works.

Bill Daniels

Old May 5th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

I'm a Verizon customer, and the only place I've been able to get my
phone to work in a glider above pattern altitude is in areas where SMS
does not work. Maybe that will change someday ...

-ted/2NO

Old May 5th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal[_3_]

"Tuno" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a Verizon customer, and the only place I've been able to get my
phone to work in a glider above pattern altitude is in areas where SMS
does not work. Maybe that will change someday ...

-ted/2NO

Does the GPRS work at altitude.

http://www.silentwings.no/article/articleview/106/1/1//

Old May 5th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Does the GPRS work at altitude.

Nope.

Old May 5th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

If I recall correctly from my base station programming days, GPRS is
the bearer channel for SMS, so if SMS isn't working, it will almost
certainly be because a GPRS channel cannot be opened. I think
Verizon's GPRS only works in areas where it can be executed with lower
power consumption, which means being close to the ground radios. I'm
very curious whether other service providers can do SMS at altitude
(or any other packet-switched service).

Old May 5th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rustynuts

My GPS tracking phones I use to track my small fleet of trucks do not
show altitude. They only show location and speed and you can overlay
tracking on a map (on the web). Last weekend my track from Cal City
to Mt. Whittney and back to WJF & L71 showed up quite nice. The phone
receives GPS and every 15 min it sends via a cell call to a server the
phone position stored every 5 minutes. I can ping the phone and get
on demand location & speed if the phone can contact the cell site. If
the cell phone cannot contact a cell site it will store until it does
and than down load all stored points. If I had of landed out in the
Sierras it probably would do me no good except to show last position
tansmitted maybe in the air? If in the Valley it could come in handy
if incompasitated.

Old May 5th 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

I've had pretty good luck in remote areas while airborne. Apparently, SMS
works when voice calls are not possible. But then, in Colorado, cell towers
are located on mountain peaks. As I understand it, if SMS service is not
avaliable, the 'phone will hold the message until it is and then send it.
The message gets through even if not in real-time.

The only way to know if tracking works is to try it.

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old May 6th 07, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Emerson

Bill Daniels wrote:
It's probably no surprise to anyone that cell phones can be tracked even
when they are not being used in a call. You can Google "Cell Phone
Tracking" and get enough information for a long evenings reading.

This handy application will let you locate just by entering a phone
number. Give it a try...

http://www.sat-gps-locate.com/
Old May 8th 07, 09:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Iwo Mergler

Mal wrote:

"Tuno" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a Verizon customer, and the only place I've been able to get my
phone to work in a glider above pattern altitude is in areas where SMS
does not work. Maybe that will change someday ...

-ted/2NO

Does the GPRS work at altitude.

Here is a simple overview of the factors for marginal
GSM coverage. I hope it's useful and not too boring.

Wether or not you'll get a signal depends mostly on the basestation
antenna radiation pattern. The operators normally use directional
antennas, covering the ground of the cell only.

Some of that gets reflected upwards, but that coverage is patchy.
There are of course situations where a basestation has been pointed
skywards (e.g. illuminating the side of a mountain), so in some rare
parts of the sky GSM works well.

Now, SMS uses the GSM control channel, the one which is also used
to establish a call. This channel has a very simple protocol, very
much like humans do radio communication - listen and if nobody else
talks, talk.

It only takes a small patch of coverage for an SMS to get through.
Also, as others have pointed out, the phone will hold a SMS until
it finds such a patch.

For a phone call proper, you need essentially uninterrupted coverage
for the duration of the call. In principle, if an SMS can get through
you can start a call, but it could be extremely short.

GPRS is a data transfer protocol which uses the spare channel capacity,
anything which is not used for calls. Since it's a packet based
protocol (each like very large SMS), it has a slightly better chance
of "getting through" than a phone call.

However, since the packets are larger, the patch of coverage must
last longer. Also, the system will only retry for a few seconds
before giving up. SMS will retry all week is it has to.

Among other things, GPRS is used to transfer the bulk of data
for MMS (pictures, video clips, etc.).

Iwo

Old May 10th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 8, 3:47 am, Iwo Mergler
wrote:
Mal wrote:

"Tuno" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

they need to add an altitude feature and get it FAI approved. of
course then they'd probably charge 800 bucks for the phone