Cobra Parts

Old August 18th 05, 01:03 PM
ventus2

Default Cobra Parts

Interested to hear if anyone has experience with replacing axle parts on a
Cobra Trailer.
Particularly the brake drum (its an 88 model) and wheel bearings.
Question, are these parts which can be interchanged from generic axles or
bought off the shelf in the US? The whole of Germany seems to be on annual
holidays (half their luck!), so waiting around till mid september for them
to come back seems somewhat stupid.

Any half sensible ideas welcomed. :-)
Chris

Old August 18th 05, 04:58 PM
Maule Driver

Yep and nope. You need the stuff from Germany and more specifically,
the company.

If you dig into further, you'll walk away impressed with the axle
engineering involved.

Old August 18th 05, 05:40 PM

A 1988-vintage Cobra probably has replaceable bearings. They can be
found at large bearing supply houses in the U.S. The numbers are
stamped on the races of the inner and outer bearings. You'll need
grease seals for the inner bearings, too, which can be more difficult
to find for older trailers. The bearing supplier I used had grease
seals that fit perfectly for the axle on my 1992 Cobra.

Later Cobras apparently have sealed-for-life bearings that are pressed
into the drums. At least one guy reported replacing these bearings but
the standard fix seems to be replacing the entire drum assembly.

People have had problems with brake drums before, usually small cracks
in the hub. As far as I know, replacement is the only option (though I
have considered turning the hub down and slipping a steel sleeve over
it to take the stress off the crack, then sealing the crack to prevent
grease from seeping out of the hub).

Have you tried Tim Mara at Wings & Wheels? He usually has drums,
bearings, and brake shoes for various Cobra and Komet models.

The alternative is a complete axle replacement but Alko seems to be the
only company offering a mechanical surge brake. Using a U.S. axle will
mean losing the surge brake (and handbrake feature) or substituting a
hydraulic surge brake or electric brake assembly.

Chip Bearden

Old August 18th 05, 10:49 PM
ventus2

Thanks guys. Looks like I will have to wait around for a month or so. Tried
Tim though he was unable to help locally on this one, other than point me to
the factory.

Chris

Old August 19th 05, 01:11 AM
yooper

Years ago I gave up on the understrength German trailer undercarriage.
Took it all off. I went to a junkyard and bought a old-model Olds
Toronado rear end. I had a welder make a subframe to mount it on and
bolted it to the bottom of the trailer shell. Hooked up the parking
brake to the surge mechanism. The long single leaf spring, big shocks
and 17" wheels were perfect for the job. Perfectly stable at 90 mph.
Old August 19th 05, 02:14 AM
Gary Emerson

I don't know if you can get parts, but I e-mailed a technical question
regarding trailer weight and Agnes had an answer back to me the next
morning. I'd e-mail the factory or better yet invest a couple bucks in
a phone call and maybe you can get what you want sooner than you think?

Old August 19th 05, 03:25 AM
Howard Banks

I needed a new tongue for my '85 trailer. George Applebay
said that Cobra has parts for more or less everything
-- and he was right.
After several emails getting the parts I needed organized
I sent one saying that I was now ready to order. The
reply, within a few hours, said it had been despatched
and the assembly arrived the next week, via Fedex.
Amazing service and all on trust. I got an invoice
and sent a US check to their US financial agent, one
D Jacobs.
banks/1XX

Old August 19th 05, 04:26 AM
Rex

We just recieved a huge shipment of replacement parts of Cobra trailers
at Williams Soaring Center.
Visit williamssoaring.com or call (530) 473-5600
Williams, Ca USA

Rex Mayes

Old August 19th 05, 04:57 PM
Greg Arnold

Rex wrote:
We just recieved a huge shipment of replacement parts of Cobra trailers
at Williams Soaring Center.
Visit williamssoaring.com or call (530) 473-5600
Williams, Ca USA

Rex Mayes

Yes, Williams had parts when my Cobra needed repair.

molding plexiglas websites? [email protected] Owning 44 February 17th 05 09:33 PM
Cobra Brake Parts or Axle WDM Soaring 1 October 11th 04 05:09 AM
COBRA TALON, COBRA SPOT Allen Thomson Military Aviation 0 December 9th 03 06:44 PM
Navion Parts Availability Margy Natalie Owning 12 August 15th 03 03:47 AM
Navion Parts Availability Margy Natalie Restoration 10 August 15th 03 03:47 AM