$57 Lowrance GPS

Old November 24th 05, 11:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default $57 Lowrance GPS

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 00:24:34 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

We literally (and I mean this 100%) shop at Menards on a daily basis.
That's not an exaggeration -- sometimes we're there TWICE per day.

Jay, you really ought to find some other hobbies!

Have you ever thought of taking flying lessons and becoming a pilot?
It might be more expensive, but it wouldn't be as time consuming!

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com
Old November 24th 05, 11:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 17:20:16 -0600, Darrel Toepfer
wrote:

Yeah, it's not an aviation GPS, but so what? It stores 100 waypoints,
dozens of routes, and costs less than I paid for dinner last night!

1000 waypoints, 100 routes, 1000 event markers, 100 retraceable trails,
10,000 points in any trail... Does have a com port...
http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/iFINDERGO.asp

I used a non-aviation GPS for years. Downloaded some PC software
(free) to manage it and a "datachunk" of airports within 200 miles
($5). See the lashup he

http://pipercubforum.com/garmin.htm

In some ways it was more satisfactory than my $1800 Garmin 296
(whatever it is!).

Old November 24th 05, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Have a safe trip tomorrow and a great Thanksgiving!!

You, too! We're leaving for Montblack's place in about 90 minutes...

Don't eat too much!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 05, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay, you really ought to find some other hobbies!

Have you ever thought of taking flying lessons and becoming a pilot?
It might be more expensive, but it wouldn't be as time consuming!

I hear the pay's about the same, too...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 05, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I had a similar experience with Menards- bought an electric screw driver
one day (my old Decathlon would shed screws due to vibration), but found
that it didn't hve enough torque. (I've also learned to never use an
electric driver on my plane, and now only use a ratchet screw driver, which
doesn't chew up the stainless heads)

I brought it back within a few hours, and the manager gave me a bunch of
s**t about how the tips were rusted and used, and how they wouldn't take it
back. I tried to explain to him that if the tips were rusted, it's because
they sold them that way. Finally, after a few minutes of "discussion", he
relented.

Within a few months Home Depot opened a bigger and better store within a
mile. Even though Menards is closer, I will never go back- and to think that
if Menard is one of the richest people in Wisconsin. he certainly won't be
for long due to poor customer service and inferior products. (They have a
daily commuter run in a Beech 1900 for their employees around the state- I
wonder how long that's going to last)

Old November 24th 05, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
if Menard is one of the richest people in Wisconsin. he certainly won't be
for long due to poor customer service and inferior products. (They have a
daily commuter run in a Beech 1900 for their employees around the state- I
wonder how long that's going to last)

I've noticed a lot of these area companies use small jets or big planes. I
suppose if you have several stores in a few states, it kind of makes sense.
At the local airports, I've seen aircraft for Hy-Vee, Pamida, etc. I haven't
noticed Menards Beech yet. I once found a sheet of paper at the airport that
had a list of flights that Pamida was going to. Basically, if the
Iowa/Minnesota/Nebraska, etc. town didn't have an airport, it didn't have a
Pamida.

Old November 25th 05, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Cub Driver wrote:

I used a non-aviation GPS for years. Downloaded some PC software
(free) to manage it and a "datachunk" of airports within 200 miles
($5). See the lashup he

http://pipercubforum.com/garmin.htm

In some ways it was more satisfactory than my $1800 Garmin 296
(whatever it is!).

I do this with my Magellan every time a new one comes out:
http://home.stny.rr.com/bkw/315

This Lowrance has more detailed maps though...