zzz BBob fell asleep at the wheel again zzz was Need Microbalancer

Old August 26th 03, 09:07 PM
Juan E Jimenez

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message

Nah, it has a lighing coil with a diode on it so you can actually tap
off it and charge the battery back up. It works okay.

Hmm... Ok, if you say so.,

A little motorcycle battery from Walmart. Real airworthy eh? Ha Ha

Texas Battery Co. has a small 12v 12a sealed battery that works great for
these applications. I put four of them into the redesign of the systems on
Bob Bishop's -5J's. They work great. If I remember correctly they were the
Guardian DG12-12's.

Jesus Christ, are you okay? Damn, I hope that never happens again.

I am now, but boy did I get intimate with my morphine pump. I too hope it
never happens again.

Old August 26th 03, 11:44 PM
Badwater Bill

You aren't missing anything. New airbus and Boeings are just button
pushing jobs. You hunch over all day fighting with prehistoric
Command Line Interface FMS units that are more ****ed up than Hogan's
Goat. You'll be lucky to look out the window or hand fly the thing
for fifteen minutes on a two hour flight. That's why I bid the old
fossiled DC-10. A real man's machine. I never used the fricking
autopilots till over 30,000 ft or level off. Most of today's airline
pilots can just barely fly without "otto" doing the autoland cuz they
never dare to **** off the "highest level of automation at all times"
nazi check pilot department (at least at my MO-FO-CO.) No Bill, my
money's on you as the best pilot in this newsgroup.

Keep the dirty side down,

pac "hand job" plyer

Ah, thanks Pac. I was a better pilot when I was younger. I'm falling
apart with age. Getting older is ****ed up. I actually think I was a
great pilot when I got my ATP about 20 years ago. My brain didn't
know if I was in IMC or VFR...it was all the same. But, I've lost a
lot of those skills since I just don't do it much anymore.

I had a ball this weekend though. I ferried helicopters all over
hell. I was down in this canyon on Sunday looking at a river in the
middle of Arizona about 50 miles SE of Kingman. It looked like there
were no people on Earth, anywhere, and I was zooming up this river
between canyon walls about 500 feet high when I saw a few cows. I
brought her into a hover and scared the **** out of the cows. When
they started running I chased them and harassed them all over the
place. I was pulling up and doing hammer heads in a Robie and
cranking back down on the terrified cows as they tried to run for
cover. ****. It was a ball. I lost myself for a few moments as my
brain and body simply took command of the machine as if it were a suit
of clothes I was wearing. Now I know how those dudes in Australia
feel who live in that R-22 all day long herding cattle. You begin to
wear the machine.

Nothing like it. Sometimes in the RV-6 I felt that way while cranking
down a canyon over there in Utah or Arizona along a river...just
yanking and banking.

On Friday night I was flying an R-44 and got back to the barn at 9:30.
I took it slow and did the approach like an old man but I still had
some depth perception problems as I dropped into the pad in a hover.
The pad isn't lighted and all I had was that twinky little landing
light on the front of that $350,000 machine. I had to just feel my
way down until I could see the rocks, then do the touchdown. When I
was a kid, I could have seen that pad in pitch black dark with no
landing light. In fact I'd have never even turned the ****ing thing
on because I'd have considered that chicken****. If you can't land in
the dark you shouldn't be flying at night has been my view for many
years. Nowadays, I use the landing light all the time so I don't even
get close to pranging the machine. I guess I could still do it
without the light, but it would be a stretch and I wouldn't be all the
happy about it. ****ing old age. I hate it.

Sometimes when I'm alone and I get a vibration in the machine and
there are no other lives involved, I don't even get puckered. I just
figure **** it...there's a lot of ugly ways to go out in this life,
like laying in a hospital bed with cancer on morphine or something.
If I can buy the farm in a flying machine while I'm still healthy
enough to be able to fly the *******, then "What the ****-Over"

BWB
Old August 27th 03, 12:38 AM
Dptate

I just
figure **** it...there's a lot of ugly ways to go out in this life,
like laying in a hospital bed with cancer on morphine or something.
If I can buy the farm in a flying machine while I'm still healthy
enough to be able to fly the *******, then "What the ****-Over"

BWB

Yep. Some of us are certainly not in any danger of dying young anymore.

Dave Tate
Old August 27th 03, 03:07 AM
Juan E Jimenez

You know, I had never really thought about it in that particular way
before... g

Old August 29th 03, 12:04 PM
Model Flyer

"Badwater Bill" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 02:09:30 GMT, "Juan E Jimenez"
wrote:

Really? Got emails? I'll gladly exchange them so we can find out

who is
telling the truth. I'll be waiting, but not holding my breath.

Yeah, don't hold your breath. Old Walt here will tell you about

all
the days he spent flying C-130's with Air America....wonder how

much

the rotor blades to autorotation speed. I used to have to do that

by
hand, now it just drains one motorcycle battery completely to do

it.
I spun it up today in fact. Then I stopped it and tried to spin it

up
again (in zero wind conditions). Didn't work. The Voltage on the
battery was down to 4 Volts during the second spin up.

There is a device that uses a ring gear like you have, however
instead of a starter moter it uses a flexable shaft with a rubber
wheel on the end that's pulled into engagement with a wheel mounted
just inboard of the prop. A lever on the joystick worked through a
bowden cable pulls the rubber wheel onto the other wheel when you
want to run-up the rotor. The whole rig weighs only 14#, lighter than
a starter and battery and available any time. There's a bendix at the
top of the flexable shaft to engage with the ring gear.
--

..
--

Antispam trap in place

Damn!

All I need is a bigger and heavier battery, but that means I have

lose about another 10 pounds off my big fat gut to compensate for

it.

What the ****... OVER.

Just have to bite the big one and stop eating pizza and drinking
Newcastle beer.

BWB