$16,619.85

Old December 29th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default $16,619.85

I'm glad I'm on this side of the pond.

Me, too. My son finished his for right around $5K.

With a price differential that great, any European flight student
would be way ahead financially to simply rent a suite here while
attending our local flight school. We had a French fellow do that
here last spring, well before the run-up of the Euro; it makes even
more sense now.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Old December 29th 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Dallas schrieb:

No, I used two references, a U.K. one and the second one was a German
reference posted today with an estimate of $16,000 USD at the current Euro
exchange rate.

therefore it would've been a good idea to stick to the local currency
(UK-pound and Euro).

I posted this because I've been interested in what it costs to get a ticket
on that side of the pond. I'd be interested to see your numbers.

I'd estimate at least 20% less.

And here almost nobody (IMHO) needs that much more than the required 40
hours. Maybe 45. I hat 40 hours and 13 minutes (I had to fly some time
to fill up to the 40 hours and we had a detour at the final destination
that added the additional 13 minutes).

#m

Old December 29th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jay Honeck schrieb:

We had a French fellow do that
here last spring, well before the run-up of the Euro; it makes even
more sense now.

except for all the loops one has to jump through like fingerprinting,
visa (!), etc.
for a visa you have to show up in person at the embassy (earlier one was
able to do that by mail, BTDT), this costs you at least 1 day (including
"interviews"). for a student visa you need a M1, but if you go Part 61
the flight school is not able to issue the required papers (and you have
to chose your flight school beforehand, changes are close to impossible
now, BTDT, too). Then you need the fingerprinting and the flight school
has to report you to the government/FAA. Each involved party in this
process, including the immigration officer can make your plans go south.
Then - not flying related - you have to deal with the new sentiments
against foreigners.

So to sum it up: Canada or South Africa are a very good alternative.

#m
Old December 29th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay Honeck wrote:
I'm glad I'm on this side of the pond.

Me, too. My son finished his for right around $5K.

With a price differential that great, any European flight student
would be way ahead financially to simply rent a suite here while
attending our local flight school. We had a French fellow do that
here last spring, well before the run-up of the Euro; it makes even
more sense now.

It is not just Europe but also Asia and lots of schools are already
addressing the off shore training market.

For example, there is a helicopter training outfit at KSBD that caters
to the Asian market; it is sometimes a challenge to understand what
the students in the pattern's position and intentions are.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old December 29th 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Martin Hotze said:
So to sum it up: Canada or South Africa are a very good alternative.

I know. I'm a Canadian citizen, but a permanent resident in the US. I've
gotten conflicting answers as to whether getting a float plane rating
counts as a new basic license (in which case I'd have to jump through all
the foreign pilot hoops) or an add-on to my existing ASEL (in which case I
don't). Depending on which answer is right, I might have to go up to
Georgian Bay Airways instead of going down to Jack Brown's.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"I'm cruising down the Information Superhighway in high gear, surfing the
Old December 29th 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Jules schrieb:
What year was that in?

1996

Old December 29th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 20:33:00 +0100, Martin Hotze wrote:

therefore it would've been a good idea to stick to the local currency
(UK-pound and Euro).

As my target audience for this post was for those on the left side of the
pond, it made more sense to convert their currency to USD.

--
Dallas
Old December 29th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

Dallas schrieb:

therefore it would've been a good idea to stick to the local currency
(UK-pound and Euro).

As my target audience for this post was for those on the left side of the
pond, it made more sense to convert their currency to USD.

Who knows where the exchange rate will be in 2 years from now (for
example). Then you have to recalculate all the values only to have exact
numbers when you find this posting through search-engines. And IMHO it
is general knowledge to know the exchange rate (not the very exact
numbers but the roundabouts) for the most important currencies.

#m