Belgian winch launch video

Old January 17th 10, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Belgian winch launch video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dw6r_1r91M

On top in 2 minutes at Weelde.
Old January 17th 10, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

You said "on top in 2 minutes" and I didn't know what you meant until
I saw the video. On the wire for two minutes! WOW!!! I'd like to know
the details -- length and type of cable? Brand of winch? Altitude
gained?

Makes our winch at the Prescott club look woefully inadequate!

2no
Old January 17th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Jan 17, 3:08*pm, Tuno wrote:
You said "on top in 2 minutes" and I didn't know what you meant until
I saw the video. On the wire for two minutes! WOW!!! I'd like to know
the details -- length and type of cable? Brand of winch? Altitude
gained?

Makes our winch at the Prescott club look woefully inadequate!

2no

Prescott does very well, IMVHO.

Well, no details yet except that it looks like they got to 1450m. On
top meant VFR above the clouds, naturally;^)

Puts the whee! in Weedle though.

More info on the website http://www.kac.be/StandardPage.aspx?RID=214
Old January 18th 10, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Jan 17, 3:20*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Jan 17, 3:08*pm, Tuno wrote:

You said "on top in 2 minutes" and I didn't know what you meant until
I saw the video. On the wire for two minutes! WOW!!! I'd like to know
the details -- length and type of cable? Brand of winch? Altitude
gained?

Makes our winch at the Prescott club look woefully inadequate!

2no

Prescott does very well, IMVHO.

Well, no details yet except that it looks like they got to 1450m. *On
top meant VFR above the clouds, naturally;^)

Puts the whee! in Weedle though.

More info on the websitehttp://www.kac.be/StandardPage.aspx?RID=214

Looks like about 3030 meters of 5 mm Dyneema. Can't tell details on
the type of winch used or size of the engine.

A nearly 50% height to length ratio is very good.

Old January 18th 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Jan 17, 3:08*pm, Tuno wrote:
You said "on top in 2 minutes" and I didn't know what you meant until
I saw the video. On the wire for two minutes! WOW!!! I'd like to know
the details -- length and type of cable? Brand of winch? Altitude
gained?

Makes our winch at the Prescott club look woefully inadequate!

2no

Looks like they are using a MEL Leopard with about 290 HP (220 kw).

http://www.machinefabriek-el.nl/stor...nches%20GB.pdf
Old January 18th 10, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 17, 2:32*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dw6r_1r91M

On top in 2 minutes at Weelde.

Look like there were on top half way up the launch. Nice video, nice
launch, but being "on top" not so great when the weather is such that
you can reach up and almost touch cloud base without getting out of
your lawn chair. ( I know, why would you even be in a lawn chair in
weather like that).

I spent a month back in England late last year. Certainly made me
appreciate the weather in my adopted Arizona.

Andy

Old January 18th 10, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vorsanger1

What I don't understand is why so many of these soaring videos are
accompanied by an ear-splitting soundtrack. Is this music or am I
just an old fart ? The latter, I guess.

Cheers anyhow, Charles
Old January 18th 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Jan 17, 3:08*pm, Tuno wrote:

You said "on top in 2 minutes" and I didn't know what you meant until
I saw the video. On the wire for two minutes! WOW!!! I'd like to know
the details -- length and type of cable? Brand of winch? Altitude
gained?

Makes our winch at the Prescott club look woefully inadequate!

2no

Prescott does very well, IMVHO.

Well, no details yet except that it looks like they got to 1450m. *On
top meant VFR above the clouds, naturally;^)

Puts the whee! in Weedle though.

More info on the websitehttp://www.kac.be/StandardPage.aspx?RID=214

Looks like about 3030 meters of 5 mm Dyneema. *Can't tell details on
the type of winch used or size of the engine.

A nearly 50% height to length ratio is very good.

It isn't possible to use 3000 meters of steel cable - it weighs too
much. Dyneema makes all the difference. It'a opening up a new
chapter in winch launch.

The MEL "Leopard" is a winch specifically designed to use Dyneema
"plastic rope". It's an excellent design.

However, 1450 Meters is not particularly good. Other launches have
gone as high as 1700 meters. They could have gone higher but there
were airspace limitations in effect at 1700 meters.