Anyone selling a good tow vehicle

Old April 2nd 04, 06:54 PM
tango4

Audi A6 1.9 TD - a luxury vehicle and 50 MPG - only 45 MPG when towing
though

:-)

Ian

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
4 wd is overkill for
pulling my sailplane trailer.

I gotta agree, and I got a F150. But from the 15mpg
gas bill I can deduct motel rooms since it makes a
nice camper. I can pull over 10k' passes at 65mph,
and one barely notices the trailer on the hitch crusing
at Mach1 down the wideopen freeways. Having said that
a Subaru wagon could do most of that without sucking
down gas in such a hurry.

Old April 2nd 04, 11:32 PM
Doug Hoffman

Stewart Kissel wrote:

4 wd is overkill for
pulling my sailplane trailer.

I gotta agree, and I got a F150.

I will never forget the time I off-field landed in a freshly plowed farmer's
field. Without 4WD I could not have made that retrieve as easily as I did.
Actually, I'm not sure what I would have done...

-Doug

Old April 3rd 04, 12:27 AM
Marc Ramsey

Doug Hoffman wrote:
I will never forget the time I off-field landed in a freshly plowed farmer's
field. Without 4WD I could not have made that retrieve as easily as I did.
Actually, I'm not sure what I would have done...

You would have done what most of us have done at times, to avoid ****ing
off a farmer, carry the glider piece by piece to the trailer at the edge...

Marc

Old April 3rd 04, 04:06 AM
Doug Hoffman

Marc Ramsey wrote:

Doug Hoffman wrote:
I will never forget the time I off-field landed in a freshly plowed farmer's
field. Without 4WD I could not have made that retrieve as easily as I did.
Actually, I'm not sure what I would have done...

You would have done what most of us have done at times, to avoid ****ing
off a farmer, carry the glider piece by piece to the trailer at the edge...

Marc

Not a bad suggestion. What I actually did, since the farmer was nearby, was
to first apologize profusely and explain the situation. He wasn't upset as
I had caused no damage. His only concern was that I get the glider out
quickly because it was going to rain soon (which would have caused the field
a problem). Long story short, I got a ride back to the airport, returned
with trailer and single-handedly and quickly removed the glider in a manner
pre-approved by the farmer.

I'm not trying to say that 4WD is necessary for gliding. Here in Michigan
it can be handy during the winter and especially if one lives on some rough
back roads as I do. However, it *was* convenient on that retrieve.

Regards,

-Doug

Old April 3rd 04, 04:28 AM
Jim Phoenix

Yeah Stu,

I replaced my 4wd Chevy pickup with a Dodge 2wd one ton with a Cummins
turbodiesel automatic - much better fuel efficiency - 16 in town, 24
mpg on the highway @ 70mph. Can easily take a camper and pull the
Nimbus without breaking a sweat. When I'm feeling Green, I can fill it
up with biodiesel :-)

Cheaper than a new F-150 by about $9k. They're giving them away.

I suppose I don't really need all that horsepower and torque - but I
don't really need all that wingspan either, right?

Jim