Have you seen the new SSA 'Where to fly' web-site?

Old May 15th 05, 01:30 AM

Default Have you seen the new SSA 'Where to fly' web-site?

A lot of critcal or negative comments were published here recently
about the new look of the SSA web-site. I want to congratulate the SSA
web-designers for the nice layout of the new 'Where to fly' section.
Well done - I like it. Go check it out!

Uli Neumann

Old May 15th 05, 02:44 AM
Greg Arnold

Good job, though I could do without the moving images.

Unfortunately, it doesn't include all operations, perhaps because it
limits itself to SSA Chapters and Commercial Operators. For example, in
California it doesn't include Crazy Creek (commercial operation with
rental glass ships), Bishop (towplane), or Inyokern (club).

Old May 15th 05, 03:00 AM
Ray Lovinggood

EXCELLENT JOB, SSA!!!

I like the moving parts. However, the only movement
I've seen so far is a Discus(?) thermalling below a
nice little cu, and I like it!

I really like the interactive map. I just checked
my home state of North Carolina and see two of the
four operations that I'm aware of. I bet SSA doesn't
show the other two because the operators at those two
locations probably haven't provided the information
to the SSA. If sites aren't on the map, my bet it
isn't SSA's fault.

It appears SSA can post a photo on each soaring site's
page. I'll have to ask fellow club members if they
might have an appropriate photo of one of the club
ships to fill that slot.

This part of the web site is a definite improvement.

Well Done, SSA Team!

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old May 15th 05, 04:55 AM
CLewis95

WOW!!! Very cool!

Thanks for pointing this out Uli.

Curt Lewis - 95

Old May 15th 05, 07:18 AM
F.L. Whiteley

I noticed a missing link from the old site for Colorado. I'll have a word.
However, I believe several organizations still may not have answered
multiple requests to update their info, which included LAT/LON info. State
governors and regional directors, if you see something missing, get in
touch with them.

BTW, I posted here that Director-at-large Doug Easton was working on a new
map based 'Where to Fly' several weeks ago. Kudos to Doug.

Frank

Old May 15th 05, 02:53 PM
cfinn

I agree that the new page looks good. However, I tried for over a year
to get our club information updated. Finally, with Dennis' help, the
information was update a few weeks ago. Guess what? The new page
returns all the information back to the old incorrect info. Oh well,
here we go again.

I'd suggest that every club check their info again.

Charlie

Old May 15th 05, 05:52 PM

Shouldn't a prospect in Sacramento, CA see Minden even if they don't
ask about Nevada? Should a DC resident really have to look up DEL, MD,
PA, VA, and WVA and take notes to find the sites within 2 hours drive?

The new "where to fly" is a big improvement over the original. It's
just too bad that the focus is still limited to one state at a time.
The sites should be listed in order of their lat/longs' distances from
the prospect's requested zip code or click. The zoomed map should be
centered on the prospect's requested zip code or click. All sites in
all the states appearing on the zoomed in map should show their icons.

Some roads, towns and a scale of miles would also be nice. The
background maps for any rectangle requested by its lat/long corners are
readily available online now at no charge.

Jonathan Gere