Lonely up there?

Old March 22nd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lonely up there?

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
This is using DUATS. It's the only way I can get textual proof that I did
it - if I phoned Buffalo AFSS and tried to enter the flight plan, you'd
just deny that I did it right.

But you did say you were using Buffalo FSS. In your first message you
said you can't file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US, we know that's
not correct. Is the problem with DUATS or is it with FSS?

As I said in the first message, it's with both. Neither will accept a
flight plan with CYRIL. The Buffalo flight service guy always says it's
because their computer won't accept CYRIL as a valid identifier.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
The only problem is that if we found the Holy Grail, we'd have to support it
Old March 22nd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

As I said in the first message, it's with both. Neither will accept a
flight plan with CYRIL. The Buffalo flight service guy always says it's
because their computer won't accept CYRIL as a valid identifier.

You didn't mention DUATS or FSS in your first message, you just said you
can't
file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US.

"When I'm heading up to Ottawa, though, sometimes I have to call Wheeler
Sack to remind them that they're supposed to give me a re-route (you can't
file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US, but as you're approaching the ART
VOR they give you a re-route to fly to CYRIL and then execute the CYRIL
ONE arrival)."

Old March 22nd 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, "Steven P. McNicoll" said:
"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
As I said in the first message, it's with both. Neither will accept a
flight plan with CYRIL. The Buffalo flight service guy always says it's
because their computer won't accept CYRIL as a valid identifier.

You didn't mention DUATS or FSS in your first message, you just said you
can't
file a flight plan with CYRIL in the US.

Sorry, it was the second message. I guess that totally invalidates
everything I said. I wrongly assumed that since you replied to that
message, that you'd actually read it.

"Buffalo FSS. Every time I try, they say it's not in their computer. I
can't do it in DUATS either."

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I trust the cut & paste under Win2k's telnet about as far as I can
Old March 22nd 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

Sorry, it was the second message. I guess that totally invalidates
everything I said. I wrongly assumed that since you replied to that
message, that you'd actually read it.

The only thing you said here that's demonstrably invalid is that a flight
plan with CYRIL cannot be filed in the US. I'll take your word for it that
you're not able to do it through DUATS and nobody you've spoken with at
Buffalo FSS can do it either.

Old March 22nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Rich wrote:
paul kgyy wrote:

It appeared to be a long time since last hearing from ATC on a recent
flight, and sure enough, "27D can you still hear us?". I still could,
and they transferred me to a local approach control.

Anybody ever just call them up to see if they forgot about you? I did
that once over Toledo.

I usually try to legitimize my call (a bit) by asking for the altimeter
setting. Makes it seem like I'm busy "tending shop".

Why don't you feel that checking if your radio is still working is
legitimate?

Matt
Old March 22nd 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert Chambers wrote:

Rich wrote:

I usually try to legitimize my call (a bit) by asking for the
altimeter setting. Makes it seem like I'm busy "tending shop".

Rich

Providence approach has a sense of humor at times. One time I was
heading towards their airspace with my sister and her kid. The approach
frequency was pretty quiet at the time. Called for and received a
squawk, put it in, got identified and then a minute later got called
again "grumman 12345 is radar ah, disregard" so I replied "345 is glad
to be still in radar contact" he replied "345 gives you warm and fuzzy
feelings?" "affirmative 345" and that was the end of the conversation.
My sister however was impressed that not only did PVD approach let us
through their airspace but also made sure we had "warm and fuzzy
feelings" as well.

I can always tell when things are slow at ELM ... they will hand me off
to tower and clear me to land when I'm still 20 miles away. No kidding.

Matt
Old March 22nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

In a previous article, Matt Whiting said:
I can always tell when things are slow at ELM ... they will hand me off
to tower and clear me to land when I'm still 20 miles away. No kidding.

I got that at ROC a week ago. I was cleared to land minutes after leaving
Batavia, and I still couldn't see the airport. I was 15 nm away according
to the GPS.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Some days violence is just a nice quick solution to a problem that

Old March 23rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Matt Whiting said:

I can always tell when things are slow at ELM ... they will hand me off
to tower and clear me to land when I'm still 20 miles away. No kidding.

I got that at ROC a week ago. I was cleared to land minutes after leaving
Batavia, and I still couldn't see the airport. I was 15 nm away according
to the GPS.

Same here, but I know ELM well enough to know that it was behind the
ridge at Harris Hill. :-)

Matt
Old March 23rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert Chambers wrote:

And if they are really busy they clear you to land, taxi to parking this
frequency, good night.

Haven't quite had that happen, but pretty close!

Matt