Lonely up there?

Old March 23rd 06, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Lonely up there?

She was also impressed that Bradley Tower wanted to make sure we had a
hotel when we went up there for parent's weekend. (I've explained ATIS to
her before, so I think she was joking. I hope.)

That's really funny!
Old March 23rd 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I have often been told to switch freq. and then wait for 10 to 15
minutes before trying to contact center. There are large 'radio free'
zones in the north central US. But I always try about every 5 minutes.

Old March 23rd 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Robert Chambers wrote:

And if they are really busy they clear you to land, taxi to parking this
frequency, good night.

"Enjoy your nap," I always have been tempted to say.

--
Peter
Old March 24th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Marco Leon mmleonyahoo.com wrote:

Same experience as Peter, it's usually busy in the NE. I usually only call
to check when there is absolutely no one on the freq and I believe that I'm
encroaching someone else's airspace.

Flying IFR back from Buffalo to Syracuse yesterday, I was presented with
long, silent frequency on Syracuse Approach. As a test, I decided to wait
it out and let ATC or another aircraft break the silence first, as if I
were having a blinking contest to see who would flinch first.

Perhaps five minutes passed without a sound on the frequency as I was
approaching the VOR where I know approach brings me down. I checked and
rechecked the volume on the radio and momentarily broke the squelch, but I
wanted to see how long I could hold out. Finally right at the VOR approach
called me to give me my descent instructions, loud and clear.

At this point in my experience, I admit that the stress of not knowing with
certainty (i.e hearing other activity) that the radio was still functioning
was greater than the effort of simply calling for a radio check.

--
Peter
Old March 24th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Paul Tomblin wrote:

I especially get that "it's quiet - too quiet" feeling

LOL! "It's too quiet in here," as if a murderer is going to pop-up from
the back seat.

--
Peter
Old March 24th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote in message
Paul Tomblin wrote:

I especially get that "it's quiet - too quiet" feeling

LOL! "It's too quiet in here," as if a murderer is going to pop-up from
the back seat.

Steve McCroskey: "Sure is quiet out there!"

Rex Cramer: "Yeah, too quiet".

Old March 24th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote in message
Perhaps five minutes passed without a sound on the frequency as I was
approaching the VOR where I know approach brings me down. I checked and
rechecked the volume on the radio and momentarily broke the squelch, but I
wanted to see how long I could hold out. Finally right at the VOR

approach
called me to give me my descent instructions, loud and clear.

At this point in my experience, I admit that the stress of not knowing

with
certainty (i.e hearing other activity) that the radio was still

functioning
was greater than the effort of simply calling for a radio check.

Makes me uncomfortable too. I've been getting better though. On a late
evening flight from Bangor ME returning to Long Island I had long stretches
of silence and never once did a radio check (I knew there was a market for
them panel-mounted CD players!). Being unfamiliar with the airspace, I was
just probably ignorantly bliss.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 24th 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Peter R." wrote in message
Robert Chambers wrote:

And if they are really busy they clear you to land, taxi to parking this
frequency, good night.

"Enjoy your nap," I always have been tempted to say.

Can anyone beat this? I was once cleared to 60-mile final approach course to
Glens Falls, NY (KGFL) while still around the Pittsfield, Mass area. I guess
the guy was bored.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old March 24th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Marco Leon mmleonyahoo.com wrote:

Can anyone beat this? I was once cleared to 60-mile final approach course to
Glens Falls, NY (KGFL) while still around the Pittsfield, Mass area. I guess
the guy was bored.

Reads to me as if the controller was going for the record, too.

--
Peter
Old March 24th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message

Can anyone beat this? I was once cleared to 60-mile final approach course
Glens Falls, NY (KGFL) while still around the Pittsfield, Mass area. I
guess
the guy was bored.

"Cleared to 60-mile final approach course"? What does that mean?