the world at my feet

Old July 21st 07, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
mrshoe

Default the world at my feet

It has been incredibly frustrating during the past few weeks to continue
with my pilot training. Many problems I have encountered and many
solutions I have tried to find. When I encounter a brick wall, I go into
problem solving mode – it is both a positive and a negative trait in me.
Often it does lead to me finding solutions as well as discovering more
headaches.

My experience is not unique. Many many people who have a disability have
encountered the same difficult situation that I have when it comes to
pilot training. I can only share my experience and learn about others.

The following is a brief summery of the main areas that I have had trouble
with.

1) Finding a flying school that is close to where I live that have the set
up to train disabled student pilots.

2) Finding flying schools that have a PA28 with an approved hand control
modification that are approved by CAA and EASA.

3) Approved Hand controls – Vision Air and Blackwood.

I met with the CAA and discussed face-to-face ways in which they can help
me in general aviation from their perspective. I did come away thinking
that they are not so terrible and are there to help and not make life
difficult. Everything in aviation takes a long time but that is not a
reason to give up or be deflated by problems that arise.

Finding the right flying school that can deliver the training that I am
looking for has been problematic. I have found around 5-6 through the BDFA
and through my own research. Having spoken to each and each have their pros
and cons. The nearest one to me is suitably set up to provide PPL training
and has experience and success of teaching people with a disability is
either Goodwood – at the top end of the price bracket – but very very good
and Anglian School of flying based at Norwich Airport -
http://www.anglianaircentre.co.uk/

What I like about Anglian is that they are the only organisation that I
have come across that have a section on their site that is letting the
world know that they are teach disabled pilot training. The other schools
do not mention it at all on their sites yet they have the hand controls.
The BDFA website has great information about where to fly and how to fly
and hope in the future to offer full NPPL and PPL. Through the BDFA is
also the cheapest way to fly, however not on a regular basis.

All I want to do is complete my training without too many headaches..if you
wish to read the rest of this story, please check it out at
http://www.freedom-in-the-air.com

safe landings