Why so many 310s for sale?

Old December 2nd 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Why so many 310s for sale?

I've been looking at light twins- B55, 310, PA30 as an upgrade from my
comanche 260. There were a lot of 310's built (5400 I read) which is
one reason for the market for these. I would not want to have to sell a
twin at the moment, but good time to buy as stated.

Mark-do you know off hand how wide your cockpit is? I need extra
shoulder space( B55 seemed tighter than my pa24)

thanks.

Andy

Old December 2nd 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

I also follow the Aztec market and it seems to have rebounded.
Last year we could have had our choice of Aztecs that were 10 years newer,
lower engine times, with better avionics and equipment for the same price or
slightly more than we paid for ours. Today these airplanes are up
significantly and I find several examples comparable to ours selling at or
above what we paid.

If you are new to twins, the Aztec is the best buy. It's fat wing is
more forgiving and offers better single engine handling.
Old December 2nd 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]

Mark,

Thanks for the T310 information. At the moment I'm just window
shopping, but in about 2 years I'll probably be seriously looking at
something (either partnership or sole ownership). Right now I'm flying
a warbird and enjoying that a lot, but for transportation it is kind of
useless. At some point I'm going to need to get back to something the
family can fit into to go places. Of course an ex-Air Force 310 would
still get into the warbird parking at Oshkosh :-)

The prices do look like a real bargain right now. I saw some very nice
non-turbo models for $110K to $125K with low time engines and nice
avionics. For that price, you can afford to spend a little more on
fuel. A good older 210 or Saratoga goes for more than that.
(unfortunately Bonanzas and Barons are not in my future as they are too
cramped inside, or I'm too tall).

Thanks again for the info,
Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html

On Dec 2, 7:42 am, "Mark Manes" wrote:
Eric,

No spar AD's yet and hopefully we won't have. More than likely there is an
increase in
number for sale due to fuel costs. My T310-Q burns 30 gph. My insurance
(abt $4100 for $180k Hull Value)
did increase about $300 last year over the previous year. I have about 150
hrs on my factory remans (last December) yet the value decreased about $20k
last year according to AOPA valuation. I have about
900 hrs in mine in 5 yrs and really like the room inside and speed (abt
185kts TAS @ 65%).
I thought about selling mine but with the depressed market thought I would
hold off a while.
It would probably be the best time to buy one in a long time. Any specific
questions email me.

Mark Manes
N28409
WC5I

wrote in oglegroups.com...

I've noticed quite a few Cessna 310s posted for sale recently on
ebaymotors and controller.com. This got me wondering if there is a
reason why there are so many on the market (beyond the obvious high
fuel and insurance costs for twins). Are 310s impacted by the spar ADs
that the bigger twin Cessnas have to deal with?

The 310 always looked like an interesting plane to me. With prices the
way they are right now, it looks like there are some bargains out
there.

Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Old December 3rd 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Mor likely the Janitrol heater was out. They are a HUGE maintenance item.

: Bingo. We thought we were going to die.
: --
Having spent a lot of time in Southern MN as a kid, I can say it gets friggin' *COLD* there... and I've lived in
Fairbanks, Alaska! I'd rather have -40 in Fairbanks than 0 in Minneapolis. Flying in that would be something else.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *

Old December 3rd 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Manes

Andy,
I don't know the dimensions off hand but I will be going by the hanger today
and I'll measure it.
I have a friend who sold his B55 about a year ago. He said there was a lot
more room in my
310 than his Baron. I sat in his once with no no one else in the cockpit
and I thought it was smaller.
I saw a comment on the group about 310 being cold. My heater works, we were
comfortable @
-10 deg F OAT ( we had to go to 16000' to stay out of the ice) on a trip to
Alaska this July.

Mark
N28409

ups.com...

Old December 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
M[_1_]

Plus the fuel cost.

I don't know of any twins that can burn autogas Jay :-)

Jay Honeck wrote:

The twin market in general has taken a huge dump. Two friends on the
field who own twins (an Aerostar and a Baron) have completely given up
trying to activiely sell them, because they can't possibly get back
anywhere near what they've got invested in them.

I think part of this is cyclical (people have to get used to higher gas
prices again, every few years), but part of this is a real sea change.
For a long time, being a "real pilot" meant retractable gear and two
engines. Now, with Cirrus and Lancair/Columbia proving that fixed gear
doesn't mean "slow", and Richard Collins (of Flying Magazine) almost
single-handedly proving that two engines doesn't mean "safe", I think
we're seeing a real move away from the traditional twin-engine plane.

Which is great, if you're buying, and really sucks, if you're
selling...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 4th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn

In article . com,
"M" wrote:

Plus the fuel cost.

I don't know of any twins that can burn autogas Jay :-)

Beech Model 18 series
Cessna T-50 Bobcat (Bamboo Bomber)
Piper PA-23-150 Apache 150 HP

Old December 6th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Manes

Andy,

Didn't make it to the airport Sunday but got there today.
My cabin is 43" wide at the floor right in front of the seats.
At the bottom of the window (right at my elbow) it's 47" and
the cabin is 49" tall between the front seats.

Hope that gives you what you wanted to know.

CU
Mark

ups.com...

Old December 8th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Thanks Mark- that's what I wanted to know. Roomy that. My comanche is
42" or so at the elbow-B55 felt a little tighter. I need to go fly a
310.

What are your thoughts Turbo vs not for the 310?

Thanks again.

Andy

Old December 8th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mark Manes

Andy,

It depends on how you will be flying it.I had reservations about turbo'ed
aircraft
at first. Mainly a lot of people tell me that turbochargers cause problems.
That's
not what I found to be. I replaced the engines last year (you do have to
prepare
for that: around $80k). Both engines made TBO with no turbo problems. The
left
engine was 50 hrs over and the right one was 100 hrs over (replaced 50 hrs
later).
The right engine was still in good shape but I felt that beating the $2500
price increase
was to my advantage. I put 5 jugs on in the time the previous engines were
on the
plane. I owned the plane for about the last 800 hrs on those engines. So I
guess the
main issue is mission. The non turnbo'ed should burn abt 24 gph and mine
about
30gph (book says should get 28 in cruise but I can't). I don't run lean of
peak and try
to cruise at 65% all of the time. I expect the non turbo'ed to be 15 to 20
kts slower at
12,000' (where I reall like to fly). I have crosssed the Rockies 4 to 5
times at 16,000
& 17,000 feet. I flew the coastal route to Alaska in July this year and had
to go to
16000 to stay out of the ice (mines's not de-iced by the way). I wouldn't
have gone
up the coast without being able to go high.

I LIKE THE TURBO AND WOULD DO THE SAME THING AGAIN!

Hope this helps.

Mark

oups.com...