Metroplis mobilized by air?

Old December 21st 03, 09:52 PM
Eastward Bound

Default Metroplis mobilized by air?

I remember watching on Discovery channel the possibilities of giving
the common people minature aircraft that are extreamly simple to fly.

Is such a thing even in the drawing board? A whole metropolis that
has no massive freeways. Just parking lots for the aircraft at the
shopping malls and such. Landing pads everywhere for most all
aircraft takes off and lands virticaly. All aircraft controlled
electronicaly by an advanced type of autopilot. All you have to do is
type in your destination and the aircraft takes off so long as it's
sensors don't show that it's either too low on fuel or certain fluids
and that everything is in working condition.

Does that sound whimsical to you?
Old December 22nd 03, 12:57 AM
Icebound

Eastward Bound wrote:
I remember watching on Discovery channel the possibilities of giving
the common people minature aircraft that are extreamly simple to fly.

Is such a thing even in the drawing board? A whole metropolis that
has no massive freeways. Just parking lots for the aircraft at the
shopping malls and such. Landing pads everywhere for most all
aircraft takes off and lands virticaly. All aircraft controlled
electronicaly by an advanced type of autopilot. All you have to do is
type in your destination and the aircraft takes off so long as it's
sensors don't show that it's either too low on fuel or certain fluids
and that everything is in working condition.

Does that sound whimsical to you?

'round about 1488 someone called Leonardo da Vinci had some whimsical
thoughts about flying machines....

http://www.visi.com/~reuteler/vinci/fly2.jpg

Old December 22nd 03, 01:08 AM
C J Campbell

"Eastward Bound" wrote in message
om...
| I remember watching on Discovery channel the possibilities of giving
| the common people minature aircraft that are extreamly simple to fly.

The problem is that aircraft require much more energy and resources than do
automobiles, which is another way of saying that they are expensive both to
own and to operate. No one is going to 'give' airplanes to the common people
or anyone else. It takes a lot of fuel to fly, so the small personal
aircraft is going to have either very limited range or it is going to be
bigger than most people realize.

Most cities would prefer to concentrate on mass transportation, which moves
the parking and pollution problems of individual transportation to outlying
areas. Individual aircraft are not mass transit.

NASA and others have been working on aircraft that are more simple to fly,
but so far the technology has not been up to the task. Most pilots think
that there will have to be considerable advances in avionics and other areas
before such an aircraft as you describe will be practical.

One advocate of a system such as you describe has been attempting to build a
"Skycar" for more than forty years. He has spent millions of dollars of
taxpayers' and other peoples' money and has little to show for his efforts.
He is good at media promotion but that is about it. He has never built an
aircraft capable of carrying an actual passenger. He has also been wildly
optimistic on how much his Skycar will cost and has ignored the incredible
fuel cost of operating such a vehicle.

Old December 22nd 03, 02:45 AM
Jim Fisher

"Eastward Bound" wrote in message
Does that sound whimsical to you?

I reckon flying hundreds of people inside a winged aluminum can weighing
thousands of tons probably sounded whimsical about a hundred years ago (give
or take a day or three).

If Boeing ever works this out
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2157975.stm) your whimsy will come
true.

--
Jim Fisher

Old December 22nd 03, 05:57 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Eastward Bound wrote:

Does that sound whimsical to you?

Sure does.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old December 22nd 03, 02:02 PM
Marc

"Eastward Bound" wrote in message
om...
I remember watching on Discovery channel the possibilities of giving
the common people minature aircraft that are extreamly simple to fly.

Is such a thing even in the drawing board? A whole metropolis that
has no massive freeways. Just parking lots for the aircraft at the
shopping malls and such. Landing pads everywhere for most all
aircraft takes off and lands virticaly. All aircraft controlled
electronicaly by an advanced type of autopilot. All you have to do is
type in your destination and the aircraft takes off so long as it's
sensors don't show that it's either too low on fuel or certain fluids
and that everything is in working condition.

Does that sound whimsical to you?

I'm sure given enough time and advance in technology anything is possible.
What huge advantage there is to flying versus driving on the ground is not
clear to me however, the same advances in technologies could probably
produce more practicle ground transportation systems. But my main reason for
pessimism is that people are inherently afraid of flying. Even with
mountains of statistics showing that a commercial airliner is safer than
driving, most people feel safer on the ground.

Old December 23rd 03, 12:36 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Jim Fisher wrote:

I reckon flying hundreds of people inside a winged aluminum can weighing
thousands of tons probably sounded whimsical about a hundred years ago (give
or take a day or three).

Still does, for that matter. *Hundreds* of tons, sure. I don't think anyone's
done thousands yet.

No one has had luck reducing the cost of a small aircraft over the last 100
years. I think some new technology will be needed to do it.

Mike Beede
Old December 23rd 03, 04:42 AM
Eric Miller

"Michael Nouak" wrote in message

In short, gravitationally driven air transportation would be cheap and

easy
to master.

Might be easier, but until you know *how* it's done, you can't conclude a
priori that's it'd be cheap.

Eric

Old December 23rd 03, 06:39 PM
Jeff Franks

..... But my main reason for
pessimism is that people are inherently afraid of flying. Even with
mountains of statistics showing that a commercial airliner is safer than
driving, most people feel safer on the ground.

My Great-Grandmother was afraid of going faster than 35mph in a car. It's
all what your used to I guess.

I have a 1950's era Popular Mechanics of my dad's that proclaims that we'll
all be flying to work in personal aircraft by 1979. Hrm. Missed that one
abit. But to say it's "whimsical" puts your head on a chopping block.
We've proven over the years that if we can imagine it, then we *could* do
it, for the most part. Heck, even transporters like on Star Trek are being
worked with now (VERRRRY early stages compared to TV).

Flying is the next step in our quest for faster transportation and ease. At
this rate, we could easily be flying to space in another 100 years. BTW,
did anyone see the landing of SpaceShip One? They collapsed a main landing
gear and it skidded off the side of the runway. Scaled Composites
statement was to the effect of "ah, we'll buff it out. No big deal.". If it
had been a government project, the program would have been shut down for the
$47 million repair to the craft...lol.