King versus Icom

Old July 17th 03, 05:08 AM
Paul

Default King versus Icom

I have an older plane---1946. When it was time for a radio
upgrade I bought a solid USA made product--- a King KY97A.

I'm an A&P and was asked to install an Icom A200 in a friends
Cherokee. Surprise they're the same radio!!!

I thought the pin out and knob arrangement seemed familiar.
Sure enough pin for pin they track right down the line. I'm
going to pull my radio out and compare them side by side
to be sure.

I'm very sure I'll find both chassis identical.

You don't suppose the Icom was made in America by King now do you???

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

Old July 17th 03, 05:14 AM
Dave Stadt

"Paul" wrote in message
I have an older plane---1946. When it was time for a radio
upgrade I bought a solid USA made product--- a King KY97A.

I'm an A&P and was asked to install an Icom A200 in a friends
Cherokee. Surprise they're the same radio!!!

I thought the pin out and knob arrangement seemed familiar.
Sure enough pin for pin they track right down the line. I'm
going to pull my radio out and compare them side by side
to be sure.

I'm very sure I'll find both chassis identical.

You don't suppose the Icom was made in America by King now do you???

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

ICOM is about a thousand times bigger than King could ever think of being.
The KY97 is an ICOM in King clothes.

Old July 17th 03, 01:17 PM
Justin Case

Sorry Jay, they are the same radio. Take another good look. ICOM is
the maker of both.

I think ICOM made their radio pin compatible in order to get the market
for replacement Kings. They're probably not identical internally.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old July 17th 03, 07:38 PM
Scott Skylane

Paul wrote:
I have an older plane---1946. When it was time for a radio
upgrade I bought a solid USA made product--- a King KY97A.

I'm an A&P and was asked to install an Icom A200 in a friends
Cherokee. Surprise they're the same radio!!!

I thought the pin out and knob arrangement seemed familiar.
Sure enough pin for pin they track right down the line. I'm
going to pull my radio out and compare them side by side
to be sure.

I'm very sure I'll find both chassis identical.

You don't suppose the Icom was made in America by King now do you???

Cheers:

Paul
NC2273H

Paul,

While you have your "solid, USA made" King out of your panel, take a
look at where it was manufactured!

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
N92054