LS 6 b instrument panel

Old November 18th 05, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LS 6 b instrument panel

I am hoping to move my instrument panel about one and
one
half inches ( 1.5') aft this winter. (Short arms)
Any drawings or advice avilable? Many thanks, John
Brennan.

Old November 18th 05, 04:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I strongly recommend to have a look at th einternet site of Jim
Phoenix. He did the same exercice you intend to perform but ...on a
Nimbus 3.

OK. A LS6 is a "poor" glider compared to the Nimbus but you could find
some interesting ideas about how to do etc...

His site is : http://www.jimphoenix.com/

Cheers,

Old November 18th 05, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

OK. A LS6 is a "poor" glider compared to the Nimbus but you could find
some interesting ideas about how to do etc...

Ouch.
Having both, I'd say neither were "poor" gliders. The N3 does require
longer arms than the 6.
The LS-6 lower part of the panel should not be moved aft, or it will
bind on the stick when opening and closing the canopy. The upper
section (above knee-height) couild possibly be moved up to 2" / 50mm
aft before you'd whack your knuckles on it. Unless you (typically) have
instruments with knobs on them. In this case you'd be knuckling the
instruments well before 2".
A simpler mod might be to rework the seat back! Try padding the
headrest and moving the seat back forward a hole or two, and adjust the
tilt. If this works, cut the seat back just below the headrest and bond
it back together to achieve the angle you got with padding.
This also works for taller pilots, as it allows the seat to tilt
further back without the headrest hitting the top of the lift tube
bulkhead.
Jim

Old November 18th 05, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John Brenann wrote:
I am hoping to move my instrument panel about one and
one
half inches ( 1.5') aft this winter. (Short arms)
Any drawings or advice avilable? Many thanks, John
Brennan.

Perhaps slipping plastic tubing over the problem knobs would extend them
far enough? Or, the instrument could mounted with standoffs (small tubes
between the panel front and the instrument back, with the mounting screw
going through it). This only works with instruments that are round
behind the panel.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old November 19th 05, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

John Brenann wrote:
I am hoping to move my instrument panel about one and
one
half inches ( 1.5') aft this winter. (Short arms)
Any drawings or advice avilable? Many thanks, John
Brennan.

John,

I moved the top part of my panel a couple inches aft because of the
problem mentioned below - the lower half moved aft would interfere with
the control stick forward limit. I can easily reach the radio controls
now. Just moving the radio to the top of the panel helped a lot.

Jim