WTB Used airforce type bailout bottle.

Old November 8th 15, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default WTB Used airforce type bailout bottle.

Wanted to purchase an used airfare type of bailout bottle. I had one for years had a full charge of O2, lanyard pinned and never pulled, unfortunately I sold it years ago. If you have or know where I may purchase one please contact me via the respond private function. Thank you
Old November 8th 15, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 8:49:11 PM UTC-8, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Wanted to purchase an used airfare type of bailout bottle. I had one for years had a full charge of O2, lanyard pinned and never pulled, unfortunately I sold it years ago. If you have or know where I may purchase one please contact me via the respond private function. Thank you

Mountain High has a similar product called the CoPilot

http://www.craggyaero.com/misc_o2_equip.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 8th 15, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That wouldn't be very useful in a high altitude bailout.

I had a bail out bottle back in the late 80s/early 90s. I had my rigger
sew a pouch for it to my parachute harness and I used (gasp) surplus Air
Force hardware (CRU-60/P, A-14 regulator, pressure gauge, blinker, and a
mask like I used during my AF career). I also had my rigger fashion a
light weight harness to hold the mask to my face and I had the
microphone wired to my radio via a toggle switch and jack. It worked
great but was a huge user of oxygen. I used it for my diamond climb
and, in case of problems, had the bailout bottle as a 10-minute reserve.

I was able to put together most of the parts of the system by visiting
local AF and Navy bases and talking nicely with the life support
personnel. A bit of beer also came into play but only as a "thank you"
after receiving their help and never as a bribe. Jonathan, you might be
able to find your bailout bottle at a local military base, if you can
get inside. I did this in the 80s when they were much more friendly to
civilians. Oh, yeah... The AF life support folks at unnamed bases
fully inspected my system and overhauled my mask with new parts.

Good luck!

--
Dan, 5J

Old November 9th 15, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Check this out

http://www.glidersource.com/cgi-bin/post.cgi?id=700
Old November 9th 15, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo

On Saturday, November 7, 2015 at 11:49:11 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Wanted to purchase an used airfare type of bailout bottle. I had one for years had a full charge of O2, lanyard pinned and never pulled, unfortunately I sold it years ago. If you have or know where I may purchase one please contact me via the respond private function. Thank you

+1 to Dan's response...
I actually just went through this process this year, so that i would have a bailout bottle for my A-14 and CRU-60 that are now being sold as salvage....
Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge these bottles are not refilled anymore. There is a very precise brass shear pin that you break when you pull the "green apple."

When i went to the parachute rigging shop on base, they told me that they just chuck the old ones. They then proceeded to give me 2 full bottles, 2 half full bottles, and 3 empty bottles. When i called Fluid Power Ohio (the go-to people for all things military equipment and overhaul) they told me that they don't bother doing the refilling as it's just too expensive. As a result, i replaced all the military hardware (other than the full bottles) with regular O2 hardware and a (gasp) medical regulator. In this situation, the medical regulator is just dumping air in your face, just as the shear pin would have done. All-in-all, i was able to put the systems together for a bit under $100.
Chris
Old November 9th 15, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Thanks for all the information!
Old November 9th 15, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've seen them for sale on eBay.
Old November 10th 15, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Giacomo

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 11:10:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I've seen them for sale on eBay.

The problem with most of the ones you will find is that they are either empty, or so old that i wouldn't trust the rubber parts. The worst part is that you need to empty the bottle in order to replace the parts, and can't refill it!
If you decide to buy the $700 refill kit, let me know, and i'll send you the extra hardware for the bottles... i have 4 or 5 now.
Chris
Old November 14th 15, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have one that is fully charged but god knows how I could have it shipped to you especially as it would need to cross the border. It's part of an A-14A system which I got about ten years ago from someone changing over to a Mountain High system. I never got around to installing it as we seldom get a chance to go high enough for it to be of use where I fly. I also have no idea when it was last checked out and some of the prices I've seen for overhaul were (appropriately) stratospheric.
Old November 20th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have 3 Air Force bail out bottles. One is a twin tanks version. I was going to put them on ebay. craig - byobar at aol