real world ac 5m performance?

Old November 4th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default real world ac 5m performance?

Looking to purchase a 5m but not sure of high enough performance. anyone with some hours on one. thanks chris
Old November 4th 17, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Does the ac 5 use the same wing construction as the ac4?

There was a safety post in September 2017 soaring mag about wing skin delamination with the rear root rib in the ac4.

I would be very curious how the ac5 wing was constructed and if it might suffer from the same problems as the ac4.

Old November 5th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Performance as in engine performance for self launch or glide performance as in XC capable? I don't have any time in the M version, but I have a couple of flights in the pure glider. It's actually a very nice handling glider with something like a 1-34R glide performance, maybe a little better. But, as others have mentioned, it's a bit crude by comparison to German and Polish built gliders. On the one I flew, the canopy hinges looked like hardware-store grade mild steel surface-mounted to the fuselage. Other more critical parts seemed just a bit rough around the edges in terms of fit and finish.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old November 5th 17, 09:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 12:28:37 PM UTC-4, chris mckeage wrote:
Looking to purchase a 5m but not sure of high enough performance. anyone with some hours on one. thanks chris.

Chris,
I have about 100 hrs in the AC4 which our club owned It has very crisp handling and I found it a delight to fly. Because it is so light, the club old guard thought it was "twitchy". As mentioned, some of the Russian workmanship and finish is not up to the German, Polish, Czech standards. As I remember, the L/D was about 33:1. I would assume the 5M handling and L/D would be about the same as it doesn't look much different from the AC4.
Chuck Zabinski