Urethane Paint

Old November 19th 15, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

Default Urethane Paint

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 4:59:07 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
How thick do you recon they get the PU topcoat? I know the PPG Concept we've use recommends two wet coats of 3 mils each for a total of 6 (this is for their standard auto applications). This then dries to a very thin (1-1..5 mils). We were able to get thicker coats for maybe 8-9 mil wet which seemed to give us (barely) enough material to color sand (wet sand). The automotive guy who did the Urethane paint couldn't understand why in the world we'd want to mess up his perfectly good spray job (with only very minor orange peel) by sanding!

As a sidebar... now that I've messed with this stuff, I can't help but look carefully at every car I see in the parking lot. I was looking at a Mercedes GLK the other day which had what glider guys would consider "bad" orange peel on a factory finish. On the other hand, from a work perspective, it's much more efficient to just "spray and forget it".

p3

welcome to my world. orange peel will be my death at last. i see it on everything.
Old November 19th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox

.. You can see the crazing troughs in some of the remaining contact material. The link is: https://picasaweb.google.com/1110763...KeDoqXAyfGiqwE

Roberto

Is that crazing or cloth weave?

Old November 19th 15, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:13:45 PM UTC-5, ND wrote:
[...]

Orange peel and grey shadows. As one goes, other comes.
Gloom
UH
Old November 19th 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:24:46 PM UTC-5, Casey Cox wrote:
. You can see the crazing troughs in some of the remaining contact material. The link is: https://picasaweb.google.com/1110763...KeDoqXAyfGiqwE

Roberto

Is that crazing or cloth weave?

Crazing associated with total finish failure.
UH
Old November 20th 15, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

Modern cars finish is all some degree of orange peel.

It uses a lot of very expensive paint to block and finish an entire
glider to a zero imperfection state. Did I mention the days and days of
patient marker coat eradication...

But it DOES look pretty when you are done.

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771

urethane 2K paint [email protected] Soaring 1 February 5th 14 12:30 AM
Paint job W&B Dan Luke Owning 2 March 31st 07 12:03 AM
paint [email protected] Soaring 9 March 7th 06 10:22 PM
Paint Steve Owning 17 January 8th 06 09:54 AM
hi vis Paint Ben Haas Home Built 0 November 8th 03 03:58 PM