A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Urethane Paint

Old November 19th 15, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

Default Urethane Paint

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 4:59:07 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
How thick do you recon they get the PU topcoat? I know the PPG Concept we've use recommends two wet coats of 3 mils each for a total of 6 (this is for their standard auto applications). This then dries to a very thin (1-1..5 mils). We were able to get thicker coats for maybe 8-9 mil wet which seemed to give us (barely) enough material to color sand (wet sand). The automotive guy who did the Urethane paint couldn't understand why in the world we'd want to mess up his perfectly good spray job (with only very minor orange peel) by sanding!

As a sidebar... now that I've messed with this stuff, I can't help but look carefully at every car I see in the parking lot. I was looking at a Mercedes GLK the other day which had what glider guys would consider "bad" orange peel on a factory finish. On the other hand, from a work perspective, it's much more efficient to just "spray and forget it".

p3

welcome to my world. orange peel will be my death at last. i see it on everything.
Old November 19th 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox
external usenet poster

Default Urethane Paint

.. You can see the crazing troughs in some of the remaining contact material. The link is: https://picasaweb.google.com/1110763...KeDoqXAyfGiqwE

Roberto

Is that crazing or cloth weave?

Old November 19th 15, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Urethane Paint

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:13:45 PM UTC-5, ND wrote:
How thick do you recon they get the PU topcoat? I know the PPG Concept we've use recommends two wet coats of 3 mils each for a total of 6 (this is for their standard auto applications). This then dries to a very thin (1-1.5 mils). We were able to get thicker coats for maybe 8-9 mil wet which seemed to give us (barely) enough material to color sand (wet sand). The automotive guy who did the Urethane paint couldn't understand why in the world we'd want to mess up his perfectly good spray job (with only very minor orange peel) by sanding!

As a sidebar... now that I've messed with this stuff, I can't help but look carefully at every car I see in the parking lot. I was looking at a Mercedes GLK the other day which had what glider guys would consider "bad" orange peel on a factory finish. On the other hand, from a work perspective, it's much more efficient to just "spray and forget it".

p3

welcome to my world. orange peel will be my death at last. i see it on everything.

Orange peel and grey shadows. As one goes, other comes.
Gloom
UH
Old November 19th 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Urethane Paint

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 3:24:46 PM UTC-5, Casey Cox wrote:
. You can see the crazing troughs in some of the remaining contact material. The link is: https://picasaweb.google.com/1110763...KeDoqXAyfGiqwE

Roberto

Is that crazing or cloth weave?

Crazing associated with total finish failure.
UH
Old November 20th 15, 11:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff
external usenet poster

Default Urethane Paint

Modern cars finish is all some degree of orange peel.

It uses a lot of very expensive paint to block and finish an entire
glider to a zero imperfection state. Did I mention the days and days of
patient marker coat eradication...

But it DOES look pretty when you are done.

On 2015-11-19 22:13, ND wrote:
How thick do you recon they get the PU topcoat? I know the PPG Concept we've use recommends two wet coats of 3 mils each for a total of 6 (this is for their standard auto applications). This then dries to a very thin (1-1.5 mils). We were able to get thicker coats for maybe 8-9 mil wet which seemed to give us (barely) enough material to color sand (wet sand). The automotive guy who did the Urethane paint couldn't understand why in the world we'd want to mess up his perfectly good spray job (with only very minor orange peel) by sanding!

p3

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771