A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

TFRs in KML (for GoogleEarth)

Old November 19th 15, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA
external usenet poster

Default TFRs in KML (for GoogleEarth)

US Pilots,

With the onset of cooler weather, I've had time to do a tiny project I've been meaning to work on for a long time. Many of you are aware that my website (http://www.soaringdata.info) can produce current US Temporary Flight Restriction airspace files in formats that work with most glide computers and programs. These formats include OpenAir and Tim Newport-Peace SUA.

To that list I've now added KML for Google Earth. The idea is that -- if there is a TFR in your area -- you might want to visualize it in GoogleEarth pre-flight as well as load it in your flight computer.

To use this, just go to my website and choose the TFR tab. Follow the link to the TFR query form. Enter bounding information (a center airport identifier and radius), and then choose KML for the format. After downloading, open the file in GoogleEarth.

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old November 19th 15, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 10:47:40 AM UTC-8, 2KA wrote:
US Pilots,

With the onset of cooler weather, I've had time to do a tiny project I've been meaning to work on for a long time. Many of you are aware that my website (http://www.soaringdata.info) can produce current US Temporary Flight Restriction airspace files in formats that work with most glide computers and programs. These formats include OpenAir and Tim Newport-Peace SUA.

To that list I've now added KML for Google Earth. The idea is that -- if there is a TFR in your area -- you might want to visualize it in GoogleEarth pre-flight as well as load it in your flight computer.

To use this, just go to my website and choose the TFR tab. Follow the link to the TFR query form. Enter bounding information (a center airport identifier and radius), and then choose KML for the format. After downloading, open the file in GoogleEarth.

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Thanks Lynn!
Old November 19th 15, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 11:47:40 AM UTC-7, 2KA wrote:
US Pilots,

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Lynn,
I just gave it a try using Google Earth and it worked perfectly!
Thx - Renny
Old November 19th 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Thanks!
Lynn's site is well worth a visit - and a click to support.
Jim

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 10:47:40 AM UTC-8, 2KA wrote:
US Pilots,

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"