SSA Sailplane Directory

Old October 23rd 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default SSA Sailplane Directory

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 7:26:40 AM UTC-6, AS wrote:
On Saturday, October 21, 2017 at 12:07:03 AM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 4:03:23 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Would a few of you see if you can get to the login page for the SSA Sailplane Directory? ssa.orgMember Resources menu. It goes to a landing page with two links to the login page. No need to log in, just need to see if there are any fails at reaching the login page.

Really only need to hear from those that fail to reach the page and the browser used.

Thanks,

Frank Whiteley
970-330-2050

Thanks all.

I get intermittent access to the login pages, having tested four browsers over two networks and five laptops and PCs. I cleared my caches, changed DNS, rebooted routers and switches.

If the Sailplane Directory page loads fully, that is, shows the rotating glider images, then the links work. If those rotating images load, then the login link works.

Thanks for chiming in.

Frank Whiteley

Hi Frank,

I was able to get in w/o issues.
Related question: is this directory maintained at all, i.e. updated and/or corrected?

Uli
'AS'

Yes. We have two SSA volunteers that can add, correct, and update content. I was actually trying to login the other day to see if a unique US glider was in the directory. It was shared on Facebook and is a variant of another homebuilt design. Not sure if it would just be a subtext or get it's own listing.

I know the developer/administrator was going to have a look at the login page issue. I haven't checked from various PC's and browsers yet to see if I'm still finding problems, though I just logged in okay from this PC.

I don't see that there's a link to contact the volunteers, Bob Whelan and Gary Adams. I just discussed that with Denise. Bob has the most experience as he's been doing it the longest. I'm not sure Gary has had any opportunity yet.

Images for the gallery, polars, and other input is desired.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 23rd 17, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 9:57:51 AM UTC-6, kinsell wrote:
On 10/20/2017 10:07 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
[...]

Firefox and Chrome work for me on Ubuntu. On Win7, IE11 fails (no
rotating images) and Chrome works.

The Directory says IE8 is a modern browser, and fails to mention Chrome.
Might want to rethink that notice.

Yeah I saw that. It could be there are some browser handshaking methods that need updating.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 23rd 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I just got in using Windows 10 and Chrome 61, 64 bit.Â* I was
disappointed, however, to learn that after I logged in to ssa.org, I had
to log in again to view the contents of the directory.Â* But then this
poor bit of programming seems to occur every where, especially on
Amazon.com.

--
Dan, 5J
Old October 23rd 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I was "delighted" to learn that my 2004 Stemme S10-VT is still in
development, that there are no pictures available, and that there are
several pictures in the gallery.Â* I don't think I'd put much faith in
the directory to make a purchase decision.

wrote:
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 4:03:23 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
Would a few of you see if you can get to the login page for the
SSA Sailplane Directory? ssa.orgMember Resources menu.Â* It goes
to a landing page with two links to the login page.Â* No need to
log in, just need to see if there are any fails at reaching the
login page.

Really only need to hear from those that fail to reach the page
and the browser used.

Thanks,

Frank Whiteley
970-330-2050
Thanks all.

I get intermittent access to the login pages, having tested four
browsers over two networks and five laptops and PCs.Â* I cleared my
caches, changed DNS, rebooted routers and switches.

If the Sailplane Directory page loads fully, that is, shows the
rotating glider images, then the links work.Â* If those rotating
images load, then the login link works.

Thanks for chiming in.

Frank Whiteley
Hi Frank,

I was able to get in w/o issues.
Related question: is this directory maintained at all, i.e. updated
and/or corrected?

Uli
'AS'

Yes.Â* We have two SSA volunteers that can add, correct, and update
content.Â* I was actually trying to login the other day to see if a
unique US glider was in the directory.Â* It was shared on Facebook and
is a variant of another homebuilt design.Â* Not sure if it would just
be a subtext or get it's own listing.

I know the developer/administrator was going to have a look at the
login page issue.Â* I haven't checked from various PC's and browsers
yet to see if I'm still finding problems, though I just logged in
okay from this PC.

I don't see that there's a link to contact the volunteers, Bob Whelan
and Gary Adams.Â* I just discussed that with Denise.Â* Bob has the most
experience as he's been doing it the longest.Â* I'm not sure Gary has

Old October 23rd 17, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:12:33 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

If you are logged into the Sailplane Directory and there is a related Soaring magazine article, there is a link to that article and you don't have to log into the Soaring Archive. If you are logged into the archive, you can open the directory search. As there are not specific links, it takes a little navigating. You could also be logged into the SSA website, but that's a separate session. Once you close the browser, those session states are no longer valid.

I believe the SSA web site was developed with classic ASP whereas the Sailplane Directory and Soaring Archive were developed with ASP.NET. Thus the main web site shows .asp extensions and the others show .aspx extensions. As a result, the session states can't be shared between the two configurations, hence the two logins. A bottom to top rewrite is estimated to involve a low to mid six figure cost. The server migration done late last year bought us a few years to consider what's needed going forward.

This would make a good Soaring article(s) from the perspective of the member, the staff, volunteers, committees, leadership, and administration. It is really quite a resource if understood and used properly. There is way more there than meets the eye.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 23rd 17, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:
[...]

Reach out to Bob and/or Gary with suggestions.

Frank W
Old October 23rd 17, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 10/23/2017 10:16 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
I was "delighted" to learn that my 2004 Stemme S10-VT is still in development,
that there are no pictures available, and that there are several pictures in
the gallery.Â* I don't think I'd put much faith in the directory to make a
purchase decision.

When I last put serious, concentrated, effort into updating the online
Sailplane Directory (2012?), said effort went into: 1) identifying ships
outright missing from the Directory at that time; 2) obtaining as much info
about them as I could (e.g. from manufacturer websites & directly contacting
U.S. importers); and 3) updating older ships about which I'd obtained various
info over the years (e.g. polars, etc.). About the same time, a generic plea
for "missing info" from owners/builders/etc. was inserted in "Soaring" mag,
the thinking being that self-interested folks as present-owners might prove a
rich source of identifying/conveying those sorts of things.

FWIW, I remember exactly zero feedback flowing from the request/opportunity
related to ATC-ed ships, though one owner (two?) of a one-off did so (Thanks
again!).

Also FWIW, my present understanding is all "LBA-related" (likely the incorrect
German bureaucracy...DLR?) performance info pertaining to new German designs
remains sequestered for a minimum of 3 years, purportedly for reasons related
to competitive concerns of the individual German sailplane manufacturers. IOW,
obtaining "hard performance info" about newer designs is "for all practical
purposes" impossible. Kinda-sorta related, obtaining "other
salesmanship-related info" about *any* newer ship proved - at that time, for
me - pretty much limited to scouring manufacturers' websites. Maybe Jane's
might have "some other magical Wiki-leaks sources"...but historically, when it
comes to sailplanes anyway, I've never noticed they do!

A note about pictures - the Stemme S10 is far from the only entry absent an
image on the "About" tab while containing one or more in the "Gallery" tab.
Back when I last updated the Directory, Titian Scholtemeyer (its primary
developer) and I discussed what we'd like to see for each sailplane's
"About-image," and "opted to go the 'Grabber' route," by which I mean in our
Ideal Worlds each entry would have "something more than a generic snapshot" as
its feature photo. So Dan, here's a photo-op for your 15 minutes of fame!!!

Bob - highly paid occasional volunteer - W.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old October 23rd 17, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 10:59:14 AM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:

"I was actually trying to login the other day to see if a unique US glider was in the directory. It was shared on Facebook and is a variant of another homebuilt design. Not sure if it would just be a subtext or get it's own listing."

Would that have been The Annebula, Frank? If so, it is still (sigh) in New Mexico. Trailer is now on jackstands. Trying to match bolt patterns for a one off axle made at a salvage yard in about 1965 by having spindles cut from some car and welded onto a cross tube has been, shall we say, "slightly probelmatic". Especially when trying to work the issue from 550 miles away, with only weekends available.

Next time, I will get it right. I have said that before...

Steve Leonard
Old November 3rd 17, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 20 Oct 2017 15:03:21 -0700, Frank Whiteley wrote:

Would a few of you see if you can get to the login page for the SSA
Sailplane Directory? ssa.orgMember Resources menu. It goes to a
landing page with two links to the login page. No need to log in, just
need to see if there are any fails at reaching the login page.

If you're looking for this site: http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/
I really wouldn't bother because:

- the range of gliders it covers is very much smaller than the old site

- the so-called 'search tool' is virtually useless for finding gliders
and doesn't work at all for at least some of the manufacturers on its
dropdown list

- the information about most gliders they do cover is laughable: the
text about the H.201 Libelle would have you believe that they were all
fixed gear until the H.201B was rolled out. In summary, the old
site was better informed than this one is.

- the site is slow and the photos are ever fuzzier than they were on
the old site.

- *and* they seem to have destroyed the old website, leaving a
misdirected link that tries and fails to connect back to the 'new' site.

By comparison, try looking for glider details on Wikipedia. It has good
information about many more types than even the old, deceased Sailplane
directory had. There's more detail about every glider I've looked at, the
photos are better and the pages are much better laid out.

Another good site, if you're interested in vintage gliders, is
https://scalesoaring.co.uk/

The list of types on Scale Soaring isn't as all-embracing as the Eqip
books (Sailplanes 1920-1945, Sailplanes 1945-1965, and Sailplanes
1965-2000) but in many cases Scale Soaring has many more photos and much
more written detail. The only thing it lacks is Martin Simons' fabulous
3-view drawings.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 3rd 17, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 6:09:11 PM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

http://www.ssa.org/sailplanedirectory/

Seems to working fine now.

Frank Whiteley

Sailplane directory hacked JS Soaring 2 May 31st 14 01:38 PM
Sailplane Directory Bruce Soaring 0 June 14th 07 09:14 AM
Problem with thre Sailplane directory Martin Gregorie Soaring 4 September 25th 05 03:55 PM
Is there a Directory? Slick Piloting 4 February 1st 05 12:19 AM
The Veterans Directory Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 December 19th 04 05:04 AM