Overspeeding on winch launches

Old November 9th 17, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DG300PI

Default Overspeeding on winch launches

Also electric winchlaunch is getting more common (at least in w. europe)
The cable tension is controlled by the automation of the winch, which leads to a considarable reduction of weak-link breakage and adds to a more safer winch operation.

Eric
Old November 10th 17, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Whitehead

I am going to purchase the kit for our expedition winch and auto-tow outfit, and one for my glider. A small price for higher and safer launches, compared to what we spend on 'gizmos'. I have no connection with Skylaunch though they have always provided great service and everything I have needed in terms of launching accessories.
The 'wheel has been invented'. We don't need to anguish over the question - "should I pull off before my wings are pulled off?"!
Old November 10th 17, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 22:43:07 -0800, Peter Whitehead wrote:

I am going to purchase the kit for our expedition winch and auto-tow
outfit, and one for my glider. A small price for higher and safer
launches, compared to what we spend on 'gizmos'. I have no connection
with Skylaunch though they have always provided great service and
everything I have needed in terms of launching accessories.
The 'wheel has been invented'. We don't need to anguish over the
question - "should I pull off before my wings are pulled off?"!

To me this looks like a great idea if almost every winch has it, but
otherwise a slight worry that it may affect my proficiency if my home
winch is equipped with it but winches at clubs I visit don't have it.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 10th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 7:48:16 AM UTC-5, Dan Schmitz wrote:
I'm wondering what the consequences of overspeeding on winch launches are? I understand that it places stress on the airframe, but to what extent?

I find it near impossible to control the airspeed on the top third of a launch and have found myself over speeding the placarded max. speed by 5 - 10 knots a few times despite signalling to the winch driver.

Should I be taking the approach of releasing at 2/3 of typical launch height (e.g. 700 - 800 foot) if my airspeed isn't under control at this point?

Thanks in advance

I have seen a cable tension display in a modern winch in the UK.
It showed the proper tension for each glider type. It would seem to be the
right way to optimise the launch.

John F.
Old November 11th 17, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:46:00 -0800, john firth wrote:

On Monday, November 6, 2017 at 7:48:16 AM UTC-5, Dan Schmitz wrote:
I'm wondering what the consequences of overspeeding on winch launches
are? I understand that it places stress on the airframe, but to what
extent?

I find it near impossible to control the airspeed on the top third of a
launch and have found myself over speeding the placarded max. speed by
5 - 10 knots a few times despite signalling to the winch driver.

Should I be taking the approach of releasing at 2/3 of typical launch
height (e.g. 700 - 800 foot) if my airspeed isn't under control at this
point?

Thanks in advance

I have seen a cable tension display in a modern winch in the UK.
It showed the proper tension for each glider type. It would seem to be
the right way to optimise the launch.

All Skylaunch winches have a sort of analoge computer: you input the
glider type and windspeed (our winches have an anemometer on the roof)
and that sets a stop at the optimal speed. The driver is still responsable
for initial acceleration and can, IIRC, override the stop, but it
generally gives a pretty consistent launch.

They'll also rebuild almost any other winch (we, CGC, have a Skylaunch
and a Tost they rebuilt) or supply a kit for clubs that want to do their
own work, but they can all have the analogue computer thingy installed.

The glider ASI telemetry is an optional extra that lets the wings driver
see the glider's actual airspeed.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK